BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #23
tapout2taxes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
For the people talking about CA. Yes, the police do not need a gunned speed they are considered expert witnesses and can estimate your speed by looking (they are usually with in 5 MPH). Also while there are posted speed limits the actual law says the posted speed or by the Basic Speed Law.

"22350. No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property"

That being said there are also people who have fought a speeding ticket by saying the local government did not follow their own laws by reassessing the speed limits in the state time period. Apparently most agencies are required to make sure the speed limits are reasonable given traffic patterns and locations. I believe this was actually written about in Motor Trend a couple years ago.

Random info...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #24
2totalled2months
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Toyota 4Runner 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzer amir View Post
Hey Guys

Out of curiosity can the Police extract data from the ECU regarding speed you were doing?

i.e. If they were trying to prove you were speeding preceding the time of the alleged crime?

Please HELP!!!
Not sure what the alleged crime is but in most cases no. I am a retired officer and detective. Simply put, if ur crime is speeding, then they have you on standardized methods, ie radar laser or basic speed law. If your crime is fleeing from a scene or from the police, they have you on other means as well. It would take a search warrant to look at ur ecu! I cant possibly imagine a need to do that. My advice is stop over thinking it, if you have been ticketed, its not based on info in your ecu, its based on what they have you doing with evidence obtained in other ways. Now if your crime is much more complicated than than a simple ticket,,,ie a homicide or kidnapping,,,some crazy felony,,,,pm me and discuss it and I will help where I can as long as I am morally willing,,,otherwise,,,don't worry about your ecu!
Appreciate 0