Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > General UHP or Kumho SPT

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

View Poll Results: Which tires should I choose?
General UHP 4 21.05%
Kumho SPT 7 36.84%
Neither (Please add comment below) 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

02-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #1
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

General UHP or Kumho SPT

I'm looking for some tires to go on my 19x8.5 rims. Out of all the tires on the Tire Rack site, these two seems to represent the best value for money:
- General UHP
- Kumho SPT

Which one of these should I go for?

My priorities are treadwear, noise and ride comfort, and handling.

I also considered the Avon M500, but the treadwear seems to be terrible according to the reviews on the site. Are there any other tires would considering?

Final question, for an 19x8.5 rim, is the correct size 235/35/R19 or 225/35/R19. I've seen that people use both. I have a 2006 BMW 330i (E90). The 225 appears to be closest to my stock size, but there is little difference. What are the advantages of one size over the other.

Please respond as I plan on placing an order today.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

What´s the point in buying a 330 and then spoiling the fun with a cheap tire. I´d rather drive the factory 16inchers than a bad 19incher.

BMW´s are for driving, not for showing.
      02-02-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
What´s the point in buying a 330 and then spoiling the fun with a cheap tire. I´d rather drive the factory 16inchers than a bad 19incher.

BMW´s are for driving, not for showing.
Errrm...yes, OK. Thanks for your very helpful input By the way, they are not "cheap" tires as you put it. Both of these are Ultra-High Performance Tires, and the Kumho SPT has very good reviews. Perhaps you should do your research before you chastize me for wanting to improve the look of my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_330i
Errrm...yes, OK. Thanks for your very helpful input By the way, they are not "cheap" tires as you put it. Both of these are Ultra-High Performance Tires, and the Kumho SPT has very good reviews. Perhaps you should do your research before you chastize me for wanting to improve the look of my car.
I´m not chastizing your for wanting to improve the look of your car. I fully applaud that idea. I just wouldn´t improve the looks at the cost of performance.

In return though thank you for patronizing. I´m fully aware of what those tires are and what to expect of them. I´m quite up to speed when it comes to car tires, thank you. That just why I would not recommend any of the above. They may call themselves performance tires and may even have high speed ratings, and of course, beeing 19inches, they´re not going to be "cheap". But I´m quite certain, that the performance will be seriously detremented by the choice of 19inchers as well as choice of the two brands you put up. A seriously excellent 17incher (Michelin PS2 anyone?) will look lousy but give you excellent performance. A medicore 19incher will look great but give you sub-standard (even compared to the stock RFTs) performance.

Why not improve looks AND performance? A lightweight aftermarket 18inch wheel (Volk for example) with an excellent 18inch non-RFT tire (non staggered preferrably) will be a far better choice. It would look fine (especially to the knowledgable eye) and be the best possible performance for a street driven E90.

That´s just my 2cents. If you didn´t want them (but instead just wanted someone to reinforce your choice), you should have left out the third option in your poll.
      02-02-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I´m not chastizing your for wanting to improve the look of your car. I fully applaud that idea. I just wouldn´t improve the looks at the cost of performance.

In return though thank you for patronizing. I´m fully aware of what those tires are and what to expect of them. I´m quite up to speed when it comes to car tires, thank you. That just why I would not recommend any of the above. They may call themselves performance tires and may even have high speed ratings, and of course, beeing 19inches, they´re not going to be "cheap". But I´m quite certain, that the performance will be seriously detremented by the choice of 19inchers as well as choice of the two brands you put up. A seriously excellent 17incher (Michelin PS2 anyone?) will look lousy but give you excellent performance. A medicore 19incher will look great but give you sub-standard (even compared to the stock RFTs) performance.

Why not improve looks AND performance? A lightweight aftermarket 18inch wheel (Volk for example) with an excellent 18inch non-RFT tire (non staggered preferrably) will be a far better choice. It would look fine (especially to the knowledgable eye) and be the best possible performance for a street driven E90.

That´s just my 2cents. If you didn´t want them (but instead just wanted someone to reinforce your choice), you should have left out the third option in your poll.
Well, I actually agree with most of your comments, but the problem is that I don't have a lot of money to spend. I'm looking to do the whole thing for around $1500 to $1700 (wheels and tires). Given that limitation I don't have many choices. I orginally looked at 18" rims and couldn't find anything I liked. If you have suggestions in my price range, I'd be really happy to hear them. On the 18" tires I was going to pick the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S.

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

I see your point. Well, if your restrained by budget, maybe an 18incher with a better tire (that´s at least as good as the factory rubber (Pirellis are fine as long as they´re not the RFT kind)) might be a better choice. Its just a matter of priorities. It´s your car. If you want the look of the 19inchers (which I can fully understand) and are aware of and prepared to live with the performance loss, then that´s just as valid a choice as staying on factory rubber for performance reasons.
Whatever you choose, as long as it makes you happy, it´s just fine with me. Enjoy
      02-02-2006, 10:21 AM   #7
Martinmaxx
Private First Class
Argentina
Rep
Drives: E39/E46/E87/E92

Quote:
Come on! I am sure deep down inside you know that Tierfreund is right. What would you think if your car could come equipped from the factory with either Michelin or General tires, and end up getting General. You wouldn´t be too happy...

If you are going to replace the tires, try to find the closest possible quality match to the OEM ones. If you find that these tires are too expensive in 235/35 19, try a smaller size, not a lower quality!

It looks as though your tire decision does not correspond to your car decision. If you didn´t settle for a cheaper car brand, why do it for tires?

Based on the tire choices you are considering, it looks as though your first priority is price, not treadwear, noise, etc. Always remember that tires are the only contact of your car to the ground.

Good luck on your purchase!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I see your point. Well, if your restrained by budget, maybe an 18incher with a better tire (that´s at least as good as the factory rubber (Pirellis are fine as long as they´re not the RFT kind)) might be a better choice. Its just a matter of priorities. It´s your car. If you want the look of the 19inchers (which I can fully understand) and are aware of and prepared to live with the performance loss, then that´s just as valid a choice as staying on factory rubber for performance reasons.
Whatever you choose, as long as it makes you happy, it´s just fine with me. Enjoy
What do you think about the Nitto NT-555 or Toyo Proxes T1-R tires?
My priorities are noise and comfort, then treadwear, then handling. I don't drive my car that fast, or push it to the limit that much. I just want a tire that is safe and performs well. I want the steering to give good feedback and feel "tight" not sloppy.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #9
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinmaxx
Come on! I am sure deep down inside you know that Tierfreund is right. What would you think if your car could come equipped from the factory with either Michelin or General tires, and end up getting General. You wouldn´t be too happy...

If you are going to replace the tires, try to find the closest possible quality match to the OEM ones. If you find that these tires are too expensive in 235/35 19, try a smaller size, not a lower quality!

It looks as though your tire decision does not correspond to your car decision. If you didn´t settle for a cheaper car brand, why do it for tires?

Based on the tire choices you are considering, it looks as though your first priority is price, not treadwear, noise, etc. Always remember that tires are the only contact of your car to the ground.

Good luck on your purchase!
I don't know why you guys all think the Kumho SPT's are crap... If you look on Tire Rack's site. You'll see that in the test results, the Kumho SPT has a score of 6.73 for ride comfort, and 6.52 for noise. That's higher than the top rated Goodyear GS-D3's, which has 6.48 and 6.41 respectively. I'm not disputing that the Pilots or GSD3's don't handle better, and if I were racing on a track, I'm sure I'd know it.

The SPT also has a treadwear rating of 320 vs. 280 for the GSD3's. So I'm not sure why you're telling me that I'm not concerned with road noise, treadwear and comfort. I'm not trying to be clever here - I'm just looking to get the best bang for the buck and the SPT seemed to provide that. If I'm missing something then PLEASE let me know.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
Martinmaxx
Private First Class
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
I don't know why you guys all think the Kumho SPT's are crap... If you look on Tire Rack's site. You'll see that in the test results, the Kumho SPT has a score of 6.73 for ride comfort, and 6.52 for noise. That's higher than the top rated Goodyear GS-D3's, which has 6.48 and 6.41 respectively. I'm not disputing that the Pilots or GSD3's don't handle better, and if I were racing on a track, I'm sure I'd know it.

The SPT also has a treadwear rating of 320 vs. 280 for the GSD3's. So I'm not sure why you're telling me that I'm not concerned with road noise, treadwear and comfort. I'm not trying to be clever here - I'm just looking to get the best bang for the buck and the SPT seemed to provide that. If I'm missing something then PLEASE let me know.
I am not saying Kumhos are crap.

But if your priority is treadwear, noise, comfort and handling, why not consider any of the prime tire brands? You are just considering the cheapest ones. As I said, you didn´t choose the cheapest car, why choose the cheapest tires for it.

Also, if your first priorities are treadwear, noise, comfort, then why did you go for 19 inches? I would understand it better if your first priority was looks and handling, but you indicated treadwear, noise and comfort first instead. There is no logic in that.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #11
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am not saying Kumhos are crap.

But if your priority is treadwear, noise, comfort and handling, why not consider any of the prime tire brands? You are just considering the cheapest ones. As I said, you didn´t choose the cheapest car, why choose the cheapest tires for it.

Also, if your first priorities are treadwear, noise, comfort, then why did you go for 19 inches? I would understand it better if your first priority was looks and handling, but you indicated treadwear, noise and comfort first instead. There is no logic in that.
OK fair enough... My first priority is looks. That's fair... But I still don't understand why I would consider any tire (regardless of brand or price) if it is rated lower than the one I mentioned (the Kumho). I did look at the Michelin, Goodyear, Continental but they all had lower test scores in the categories I mentioned - Comfort, Noise, etc. If you don't believe me then go to TireRack.com and see for yourself.

I feel like I'm missing something, or maybe I just don't get it... As I said, I considered every brand in my initial search... So, given that I want 19s (for the looks and handling). What tire can I use to maximize noise comfort, road comfort, and treadwear? Make sense?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #12
Martinmaxx
Private First Class
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
OK fair enough... My first priority is looks. That's fair... But I still don't understand why I would consider any tire (regardless of brand or price) if it is rated lower than the one I mentioned (the Kumho). I did look at the Michelin, Goodyear, Continental but they all had lower test scores in the categories I mentioned - Comfort, Noise, etc. If you don't believe me then go to TireRack.com and see for yourself.

I feel like I'm missing something, or maybe I just don't get it... As I said, I considered every brand in my initial search... So, given that I want 19s (for the looks and handling). What tire can I use to maximize noise comfort, road comfort, and treadwear? Make sense?
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 11:05 AM   #13
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What about the Toyo Proxes 4 or the Toyo T1R (used to be T1S). Or the Nitto NT-555?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 11:32 AM   #14
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Hey Matt, I would get the Toyo's over the other two tires you listed. I heard good things about the T1R(T1S). I don't like the nitto's myself.

For my new rims, I going with GS D3's again. I had them before and they are great in the wet, not noisey and damn sticky in the dry. The ps2's are the best, but for cost/performance, I like the GS D3's.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #15
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

By looking at your priorities why not look at all season tires? Better treadwear, they work better in bad weather, and they're cheaper. Maybe some Pirelli PZero Nero's?

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #16
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghunger
By looking at your priorities why not look at all season tires? Better treadwear, they work better in bad weather, and they're cheaper. Maybe some Pirelli PZero Nero's?
I agree... I'm actually now giving serious consideration to the Toyo Proxes 4, A/S tire. They have some awesome reviews on-line and I've heard only good things about them.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #17
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.
I second that comment. That's what I'm buying for my 199's. :rocks:

Matt, like I mentioned before be very careful of using those Tire Rack ratings too heavily in your decision making process. Give me 12 hours and a case of beer and I can make any tire #1 or any tire #35. My point is they can be a piece of the puzzle just don't make them all the pieces.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #18
kill4surf
Rep
Drives: 06 325i Sport/Premium/Others

Toyo Proxe4 HANDS DOWN
97 Subaru Outback Sport / PA Winter Beater
03 A4 Stage 2 you will be missed
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #19
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill4surf
Toyo Proxe4 HANDS DOWN
OK, you guys all persuaded me in the end. I admit I was being a tool. No point in buying a $42,000 car, with beautiful rims and then being cheap on the tires. I can't affort the Pilots, so I went with the Toyo Proxes 4. They looked like a decent tire. Definitely a step above the Kumho SPT and General UHP.

I got them from Edge Racing for $708 shipped. Not bad...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #20
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Sounds like you made a good choice. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #21
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Nice Work!! Tires are really important because as you know, they are what's between you and the blacktop!! I think you will be impressed with your choice!

BTW, what rims are you going with?

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 06:05 PM   #22
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I got ASA AR1s with 19's and 8.5 in the front and 9.5 in the rear
With Goodyear Eagle F1s
For under $1900 shipped from tire rack
Appreciate 0