BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
M2point5
Private
Rep
Drives:

Winterizing Covers & Prep

For those who plan to store their 1 during the snow, has anyone found any quality car covers yet? I get updates from Costco.com (US) and they have a 1 cover for $139.99 from Coverking which appears to be a good price. Does anyone have experience with this brand? I haven't looked at a BMW OEM cover yet, but I'm guessing they'd be upwards of $400. I'm wondering if we may get some of our fellow 1'ers down South to ship the Costco covers up?

Also while on the dreaded topic of winterizing, has anyone ever stored a BMW before? I'm wondering if we would need to utilize the BMW trickle charger? I've heard stories not to disconnect the battery for extended periods.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 5.0

I would also like to know more, specifically if you are required to put anything in the gas tank to ensure the fuel doesn't go bad, or screw up the car some how?

Keep in mind that my car is basically brand new, < 2000km's. Will a battery really go bad if it is new and not used for a couple months. or should I start the car every couple weeks/months to maintain? There is a lot of info out there for classic cars, but not late model BMW's?

Would love to hear from a BMW service guy/gals.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

I just used the vehicle configurator from costco.com and it has only QuickSilver Plus material and says this...

QuicksilverPlus is an excellent choice for sunny climates. The silver reflective layer reflects sunlight and U.V. rays, yet is very water resistant.

I don't know if this is the best for our winters.

Are you planning on storing it outside or in a garage? I picked up a cover at http://princessauto.com for $25.00 and it works great. It may not look that pretty, but under snow who cares.

I am not going to store the car, I plan to drive it this winter, with winter tires.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
M2point5
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
I just used the vehicle configurator from costco.com and it has only QuickSilver Plus material and says this...

QuicksilverPlus is an excellent choice for sunny climates. The silver reflective layer reflects sunlight and U.V. rays, yet is very water resistant.

I don't know if this is the best for our winters.

Are you planning on storing it outside or in a garage? I picked up a cover at http://princessauto.com for $25.00 and it works great. It may not look that pretty, but under snow who cares.

I am not going to store the car, I plan to drive it this winter, with winter tires.

EspressoBoy
I'm cold storing the car in a garage. There will be no snow on it, but I'd like to keep the dust off. I'd like to buy a quality cover that can last the life of the car.

I too would like to know about the gas. Would a regular fuel stabalizer work or would an octance booster be better? I only have 4,000kms as well as the car is not a daily driver. I've also heard that simply starting and idling a stored car is hard on it as it needs some load on the drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

I can share my experience.

I've been storing my car for 2 winters now and it seems to work out very well.

I bought an auto/boat storage tent from Costco, size 10'x20', the one with a triangular truss roof that can slope down the snow

it cost around $200 and c/w water proof materials all around.

I park my car inside and its safe

I start up my car every week and let it run for 15 to 30 minutes.
of course I fill up the tank.

I bought storage insurance $15/month

hope this help you.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Yes running the engine is a good one. Maybe on a sunny day drive it around the block?

Oh another tip, if you have freezing weather. Disconnect the battery. I didn't one winter on an old beater and it killed the battery. If you really want to baby the battery, disconect it, and make sure it doesn't freeze.

The Insurance is a good one to remember. If it's in a garage I would think the best/easiest is an indoor cover as it's easier to remove. If you don't care what it looks like, I bet an old sheet(s) would work. You might even want to cover the inside with sheets too.

Gas does go bad as you probably already know. I bet it's double important for such a high performace engine too! Oh I have also read of people who have had rats/mise eat their wires. I kid you not. I know tree-rats squirrels do the same, they have eaten my pressure washer handle, bit in hoses etc. You might want to put some traps around the car, to be extra safe.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

Can someone explain why GAS goes bad? how fast?
I am not aware because I did it 2 winters now.
I had my car fill up since sept 15/08 and I will drive again next march.
will the gas turn bad before mar 09?
I mean how can I tell or is there a time limit that you must consume the gas in the tank?
please help
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I have stored boats for the winter for the past 10 years and here's what has worked for me:
-buy some fuel stabilizer. There is some cheap shit for a $3 or some good name brand stuff for $12. Spend the $$ on the good stuff. Park your car with half a tank of gas not a full tank. This way you put in half a tank of fresh gas in the spring and it is good to go.
-a have been told to not start the motor for a short period of time. Grand Praire gets cold and starting it up for 15minutes in 20 below weather is not good. On my boat motor I "fog" the cyclinders with storage oil. Then the cyclinder/piston is covered with oil and you don't get any rust. I don't know if they do this for car motors but ask a BMW service tech and see if they recommend that at all.
-take your battery out of the car and store it inside in a heated area. If it is inside it may hold a charge all winter. Worst case just give a charge before you re-install the battery. I left a battery in a boat one winter and it was dead come spring...and that was in Vancouver so it only saw a few degrees below zero! Yes...it was a fairly new expensive battery!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
M2point5
Private
Rep
Drives:

Although I can't find it now, I remember bumping into something on this site that recommended not leaving the car without battery power for extended periods due to software/electrical programing.

The more I think about it I think I'm gonna pursue some heated storage options. Perhaps I'll buy the 1 a dyno so it can get some "winter exercise" like a tread mill too!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

http://adlersantiqueautos.com/articl...erstorage.html

Some good info in there.

Bottom line it says is DO NOT STORE WITH A FULL TANK...

Why?

Fire!
Many people loose their old cars due to fire. Hmmm well 1 car in a garage probably is different. But you can read the article and decide yourself. Oh one thing I didn't know before, stabilizer does not fix bad gas. You need to put it in before it goes bad. Hmmm good to know. I think if you use bad gas, it will leave lots of bad stuff in your engine and won't burn clean. I think that is why. So maybe fill to 1/4 of a tank and on a nice day go for a 10 min drive would solve this. Adding a bit more gas each time. Hmmm only problem with that is the insurance if you have it setup for storage. Murphey's law... you have storage insurance and you drive it, the neighbour with the bad grass across from you will accidently pull out, as you do, and it becomes an accident, and some how looks like your fault. Danm!

EspressoBoy

Hay this looks interesting!!!!

http://www.vertar.com/vertar/Air-Cha...orts-car-size/

Here is another link but it suggests a full tank. U decide what is best for you.
10 tips for indoor car storage from ebay
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #11
1ne
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3 JZB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanchan View Post
I can share my experience.

I've been storing my car for 2 winters now and it seems to work out very well.

I bought an auto/boat storage tent from Costco, size 10'x20', the one with a triangular truss roof that can slope down the snow

it cost around $200 and c/w water proof materials all around.

I park my car inside and its safe

I start up my car every week and let it run for 15 to 30 minutes.
of course I fill up the tank.

I bought storage insurance $15/month

hope this help you.
I drive a M but I would think it is the same for all BMW. According to manual, one should not let the engine warm up. I am interested to know also as this is my first winter.
Attached Images

10-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
M2point5
Private
Rep
Drives:

Going to import this cover (coverking-costco.com) from family in the US. Anyone tried one before?

Still unsure of what to do in regards to fuel. Can only get 91 octane here as well (stabilizer vs. octane booster).

Still unsure of how to manage the battery (bmw trickle vs. all others).
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #13
wtiger127
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i VERT A/W

Anything for wheels & rims that would sit outside on a balcony? Is there a specific cover that can be purchased or just a basic tarp?

Recommended Reading
08/08/08 Summer (In-Service-start)
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14493)

Winter Shoes -AW (Vert)
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19947)

The Winter 128i/135iCAB for Canadians
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19738)

1000+ Miles on new winters across the US
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19948)
Appreciate 0