BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
JMcClain
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i convertible

Original Warranty about to expire...

Looking for input on whether it makes sense to purchase extended warranty / service contract.

When I learned what the original BMW warranty covered, I was sure I wanted to extend it. Now I find out that to get the same coverage, I'd have to buy the maintenance plan and a service contract. I definitely do not want to buy both, not sure that I want to buy either one. I'm not an extended warranty kind of guy - I never buy them when they are offered on electronics, etc., and I've never been tempted to buy one on a vehicle before - but I'm worried about the prospect of pricey BMW repairs. So here are the particulars:

Bought 2011 128i convertible in early May, had 32,378 miles on it.

On 6/9/2014, took in for covered service under warranty - 33,943 miles at that time - they did:
- oil & filter service
- new wiper blades
- replaced rear brakes: rotors / pads / sensor

Mileage now: 36,863 Warranty expires 8/28/2014

Based on the mileage from the time we got the car until now, it looks like we drive it close to 15,000 miles a year.

I checked the cars computer to see how much wear was left on the front brakes, and it indicated they were good for another 6,000 miles. When it was serviced on 6/9/2014, the printout shows the the pads were at 6mm, and they're supposed to be good until they are down to 3.7 mm.

Cost of the maintenance plan is $2,095 for 2 years

Cost of the service contract is $2,000 for 3 years / 36,000 miles with a $100 deductible.

Thoughts? Your input is definitely appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I'm not positive what you mean by ""maintenance plan" vs. "service contract". That wording sounds the same to me. By your description of a deductible the later sound more like an extended warranty for stuff that breaks but doesn't actually cover required service.

Personally for maintenance, I'd be fine paying for certain services, but I *really* dislike paying for something like that with a time limit for use if they won't perform *all* the services listed. I.e. if I prepay $2k, I want to get specific services at a discount rate (like buying stuff at Costco, buy in bulk for a discount) not roll dice on putting enough miles on the car in a fixed period that I actually get what I paid for. I want a specific list of what I *WILL* get for that money, without any "if" clauses short of the downfall of western civilization. They perform X, Y, and Z for $A paid up front or they can pound sand.

If it's service every 6 months regardless of mileage, that's fine. It just shouldn't be a disconnect between the time limit of the contract and what they will do.

Now, in reality I'm doing my own maintenance now (yay water pump that just blew up!) since I like turning wrenches as a hobby, but that's my advice regardless. For something like home AC/furnance, that's not my thing, so I'm fine with paying $200 for biannual AC service as long as it is guaranteed service, not dependent on "using" the AC enough to require the service I already paid for.

Extended warranties are a different beast. That's more of an issue of risk mitigation (read: insurance), and I tend to not buy insurance for things I can cover in cash out of my emergency savings account. Instead of insuring every little thing I own, I keep cash on hand and insure myself. Unless something truly major happens, like blowing a crank bearing or ringland, which doesn't seem to be a common issue with this car, I think I'm better off rolling the dice. I add the premium I'd pay for the insurance/warranty into my savings rather than pay someone's overhead and profit margin. I do the same by skipping extended warranties on things like home appliances, electronics, and so forth. If I have any reason to think a $1000 TV I am buying will blow up 2.1 years just out of warranty I just won't bother buying it at all, and I prefer things with a good base manufacturers warranty.

Last edited by Freon; 08-21-2014 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: grammar.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
JMcClain
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
I'm not positive what you mean by ""maintenance plan" vs. "service contract". That wording sounds the same to me. By your description of a deductible the later sound more like an extended warranty for stuff that breaks but doesn't actually cover required service.
You understanding is correct - the maintenance plan is just for oil changes / tune-ups / brake jobs - stuff you know will need to be done. The service contract is for stuff that breaks unexpectedly.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Sounds like you want a power train warranty. Check with BMW about terms. I don't believe you have to buy the maintenance plan.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
MontegoCoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2012 128i Coupe

Brakes?

Quote from OP: "On 6/9/2014, took in for covered service under warranty - 33,943 miles at that time - they did:
- oil & filter service
- new wiper blades
- replaced rear brakes: rotors / pads / sensor"

I'm surprised that you got brakes serviced under warranty. I complained about mine being noisy three times during warranty and they refused to replace, saying they were never noisy when they test drove it. Actually kind of glad mine's out of warranty now so I don't have to deal with the dealer in Toledo.

MontegoCoupe
Appreciate 0