BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-22-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Old man's comfy car

Not happy Jan

Two weeks ago I saw a LM blue 135i coupe in the BMW dealer workshop in Hobart. The dealer told me the owner had been on a spirited drive around the Island and had planned attending the BMW club track day in Hobart. Unfortunately during the drive down the engine shat itself and now needs a major and very expensive rebuild. The dealer claimed the car had an ECU retune/upgrade and they refused to do a warranty repair so the owner shipped it back to Victoria. I had considered doing one of these mods to my car but this has made me think twice. Of course its possible the problem had nothing to do with the modifications and I have no idear what chip was used but I feel sorry for the owner. I hope he sorts it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 02:54 AM   #2
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

I believe the car had the after market work done in Melbourne. It does of course highlight the risk you take in relation to warranty when modifying a car. Let's hope it get sorted with a minimum of fuss.

It would be interesting to know exactly what happened. I assume it is possible the failure was unrelated to the mods?
      11-22-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Was it another Hydrolock? Did he hit a patch of water at speed? What else could cause an engine failure like that? Other than extreme over-revving?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Whos car was it? Anyone where know here?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

...and exactly what were the mods?

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarm View Post
...and exactly what were the mods?
The salesman that talked to the owner wasn't around to get more details and I was kind of reluctant to post too information without having the owners permission. It did emphasise to me the potential risks involved with mods and that was why I posted it. It would obviously great to know more details and also what proportion of modded cars have issues. I will see what I can find out. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I assume it was the tune that did it. Any mod that raises the boost pressure by more than a few psi beyond stock has the potential to create issues (such as detonation). The margin for error is less.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #8
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

What does it mean by "The engine shat itself" I wonder...

I agree with AlexT...any of us tuning our cars regardless of the amount of increase in boost pressure will have to be conscious that we run the risk of engine/turbo blowing up.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 01:53 AM   #9
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

So I wonder what happens when the new 740i comes out with the same engine but with the "power-optimised Twin Turbo and High Precision Injection" which will deliver 240 kW and 450 Nm of torque. Surely that is just a boost tweak and nothing more.

Maybe we will have a chance to get a BMW "740i performance upgrade" (excluding the 7's extra weight) by way of BMW Perfomance.

Doubt it!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 01:57 AM   #10
Carlos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

That would be good, but I dont think BM are going to upgrade the 135 until de new model comes out or perhaps they do it when they launch the new 3 series coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 03:22 AM   #11
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
What does it mean by "The engine shat itself" I wonder....
I spoke to the dealer today. He said it sounded like a big end but they didn't investigate because the owner shipped it back to VIC.

The dealer found the cars modification history with photos on the web. He found it when he was searching for something else and on the same day it was towed to his workshop. Unlucky for the cars owner.

They checked for engine codes and said it was obvious that the boost was higher than it should be and he didn't think it was possible to hide the evidence that the engine was modified even if the owner removes the mods. He didn't say how they detect this.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 03:45 AM   #12
Bahraini135
First Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Packaged 135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargeek View Post
The dealer found the cars modification history with photos on the web. .
now that is bad!!!

we need to watch what we post then, might lead to false dealer feedback
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 05:11 AM   #13
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
i would deff watch what you say on these forums...
i had an incident with a certain dealer in which they fixed something. i later found a mark on my car after the fix(and was clearly due to the fix), so i brought it back and showed them. And one of them basically said that he would check the internet, almost as if he was accusing me of having the defect before they did the fix....
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #14
shauno
Rep
Drives:

Doing a big end bearing is a classic sign of detonation. Ive done it before with modified Subaru STI motors. Usually caused by the motor running to lean and then detonation forces the piston down at great force and breaks the big end bearing which frequently can cause the big end itself to let go and the rod is forced through the engine block.

Its not because of the increased boost itself its because of the fuel map wasn't matched correctly and most probably leaned out at full load.

In my opinion its more likely to be caused by mail order boost increases not through custom tuning as the tuner can fully customise the fuel maps to ensure there is adequate fuel supply at all boost levels.

Its only a matter of time before these stories start to appear as is always the case with turbo cars when owners frequently with little experience modifying turbo motors get carried away with the ease at which you can get more power out of the engines. Detonation is never very far away especially with dodgy fuel but its easily avoidable with proper tuning with adequate fuel supply so the motor doesn't lean out and upgrade the injectors and fuel system if its needed.
Appreciate 0