BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
1for2
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red 135i

ED ordering/VIN/Purchase Order Question

I ordered my 135 with ED delivery back in mid February. I have a production number and the current status is 111. My CA says we cannot take the next step (filling out a Purchase Order) until the car gets to 112 status where the VIN is assigned. We have been waiting for several weeks at the 111 status and with my ED date at June 5 I am starting to worry something is amiss. We did receive our ED packets (glossy brochure & luggage tags) last week. For those who have been through the process, should I be concerned? By the way, the CA says we are using the "new" online ED ordering process.

Another question: I have conflicting information about when we need to pay for the car...that full payment is due no EARLIER than 30 days prior to delivery or no LATER than 30 days prior to delivery...note I am paying cash for the car, not leasing.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

I did the purchase order very soon after they turned it in. I had to have the purchase order number to get my Lufthansa flights booked. This was like 6 weeks ago. My VIN just came in a couple of days ago so I can now go pay for it. My ED is May 19. If you would like some specific dates like when I wrote a deposit check, when I got the PO, etc, let me know and I'll go look at my files. Hope you get it sorted soon..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
1for2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
I did the purchase order very soon after they turned it in. I had to have the purchase order number to get my Lufthansa flights booked. This was like 6 weeks ago. My VIN just came in a couple of days ago so I can now go pay for it. My ED is May 19. If you would like some specific dates like when I wrote a deposit check, when I got the PO, etc, let me know and I'll go look at my files. Hope you get it sorted soon..
Hmmm...I was able to get our Lufthansa 2 for 1 flight reserved with just the production number but I have not paid for the tickets yet (they said the tickets will stay reserved until 5 weeks prior to departure, which for me is April 30).

After talking with my CA several times this week he is now filling out the Purchase Order and has called BMW ED to get my delivery time reserved, so I am much relieved at this point.

Good luck on your trip!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
H2OSKIR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

My wife has been keeping up with this for her new vert. Here is a post from her on your questions.

"We signed the P.O. on Apr. 9. We actually had a production # assigned to us before that. We had a specific date that we were trying to match for our pickup (6/6) because, in our case, we did things backwards: we had our airline tickets in place, planned the trip, THEN decided to try to do an ED. (We started working with the CA on 2/9.) Within a few days of signing the P.O., we received our 1st package (the one with the luggage tags). As of today (4/24) we are still waiting for our checkin time (2nd package, the one with the gumby clock). We do not, as yet, have a VIN assigned. It is my understanding that the VIN is assigned once the car goes into production, which might be about 2 weeks before your scheduled delivery. Once the VIN is assigned, then you can't make any changes to the order. (Somebody jump in here and correct me please if I am in error on any of this.) From what I have heard, the most knowledgeable of the ED CAs want to get the P.O. signed & off to Munich ASAP. In fact, there is a current thread about this very topic on the Bimmerfest ED forum."
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1for2 View Post
I ordered my 135 with ED delivery back in mid February. I have a production number and the current status is 111. My CA says we cannot take the next step (filling out a Purchase Order) until the car gets to 112 status where the VIN is assigned. We have been waiting for several weeks at the 111 status and with my ED date at June 5 I am starting to worry something is amiss. We did receive our ED packets (glossy brochure & luggage tags) last week. For those who have been through the process, should I be concerned? By the way, the CA says we are using the "new" online ED ordering process.

Another question: I have conflicting information about when we need to pay for the car...that full payment is due no EARLIER than 30 days prior to delivery or no LATER than 30 days prior to delivery...note I am paying cash for the car, not leasing.

Thanks in advance for any info.
That information is not exactly correct as some people have already noted. I believe the PO must be sent off at least 30 days before the delivery date. My PO was sent off two months before my delivery date. I just received my VIN last week, and I'm completing the purchase next week. I will be picking up the car on 5/13.

If you haven't already been to bimmerfest.com, you can find all sorts of info under the European Delivery forum. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
1for2
Rep

So here is the latest: I went to the dealer today and signed the Purchase Order and Power of Attorney. The CA was able to get times assigned by calling BMW ED a few days ago, so apparently you don't have to turn in the paperwork to get a time if you whine enough! Apparenty we could have (and probably should have) done the PO much sooner (the CA is learning the "new" online ED process)...that way you can get a better pick of time for delivery. The only times available were early morning and late afternoon. According to BMW ED, our VIN should be assigned by May 11 (for a June 5 delivery). According to the CA, we can't pay until after that happens...which is fine with me, I get to keep my money longer.
Appreciate 0