BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

ordered a 2009 but found a 2008 with almost my exact preferences..

i ordered a MY09 135i coupe, with the specs listed in my profile, but yesterday while seaching on cars.com i found a model in massachussetts with almost my exact preferences (add sport package, no sirius, bs instead of jb, not sure on trim). of course its an 08 model. no nav so i don't see any glaring problem and would love to spring on the 08 model and get it within a week rather than in october, but my dad, who is helping me finance due to his great credit (bmw selling a car to a college student.. ha!) says to wait for the 09. his reasoning is an 08 will only really be "new" til he end of this year.. an 09 will be "new" for a while. but if theres no major changes for the next model year, won't it be the same car anyway? what are your opinions? jump on this opportunity? wait? pros? cons? any chance ill get a good discount (better or same than 1500 off msrp)? any chance the 09 price increase will be so huge as to merit this purchase. also note that i will get sirius installed anyway so my 41k price for the order includes it while the 42k price for the ca on the lot does not. thanks!

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Changes in 09 are colors, nav, and factory installed performance parts. I am not sure if there's anything else, but you may be in a better bargaining position on an 08 than 09. Talk to the dealer and ask for a sweeter deal to take the 08 out of his hands.
      07-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

I've actually had the same dilemma as you are right now recently, where a dealer that I was trying to get a 2009 order discount quote found a 2008 model with almost my exact preferences. In the end, I decided to forget about the 2008 and get the 2009 model instead for the following reasons:

-The new iDrive looks amazing imo and actually pushed me to decide to add that option after all.

-I'm speculating that BMW won't increase the 09 price significantly as it might push it too close to the 3 and Audi just released their price increases. For the TT as an example, all the models went up roughly $400 or so. Here's to hoping that BMW does something similar.

-By October (just 2 1/2 months away!), the 08s will be 1 year old and will take 1 year's worth of depreciation. Looking at the 335 coupe as a example, it would take roughly $4000 worth of depreciation. Of course you have to factor in low mileage and only 2 1/2 months of use, but the only way I was going to buy an 08 was if the dealer incorporated some sort of depreciation loss here.

-First year car quirks and bugs; hoping BMW will make fixes to any of these on the 09.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

Not sure about the 08 being one year old in October. The model year began in March here in the States so I can't see how it would be one model year old until then.

Having said the above, if I have it all to do over, knowing what I know now, I would have waited for the 09:
1) upgraded idrive
2) upgraded lcd, nav, internet, dvd play
3) internal HDD
4) wider wheel selection
5) wider body-color selection

Call
      07-20-2008, 01:10 AM   #5
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy View Post
I've actually had the same dilemma as you are right now recently, where a dealer that I was trying to get a 2009 order discount quote found a 2008 model with almost my exact preferences. In the end, I decided to forget about the 2008 and get the 2009 model instead for the following reasons:

-The new iDrive looks amazing imo and actually pushed me to decide to add that option after all.

-I'm speculating that BMW won't increase the 09 price significantly as it might push it too close to the 3 and Audi just released their price increases. For the TT as an example, all the models went up roughly $400 or so. Here's to hoping that BMW does something similar.

-By October (just 2 1/2 months away!), the 08s will be 1 year old and will take 1 year's worth of depreciation. Looking at the 335 coupe as a example, it would take roughly $4000 worth of depreciation. Of course you have to factor in low mileage and only 2 1/2 months of use, but the only way I was going to buy an 08 was if the dealer incorporated some sort of depreciation loss here.

-First year car quirks and bugs; hoping BMW will make fixes to any of these on the 09.

Those are very good reasons, but here's my take on the situation (and correct me if i have anything wrong)

- I'm not getting the Nav system, so no iDrive for me. I wouldn't add it no matter what. I have a 6 month old Garmin that was 1/3 the price, and I don't want to have wasted the money. Sure the built-in nav system looks cool and fancy, but the Garmin does everything the iDrive does navigation-wise. I don't care about internet in my car, and though the internal HDD is tempting, will it be at least 71 gb? Because that's how much music I have (no movies, videos, pictures, etc).. I'd be fine with Ipod.

- No idea how much BMW will raise the sales price, but I imagine I can get a good deal on an 08 at the end of the model year. Also, even if the price raised a lot, I don't think it would be in danger of getting too close to 3-series territory, since the prices of all BMW models would be upped as well. But then again, who knows. All I know is that a better deal on a year end model is hard to pass up..

- I plan on keeping this car for a while. So long, in fact, that the price difference caused by the different model years would be negligible in comparison to the mileage's affect on the price. Also for 2008, the 1er is tied at #9 on edmunds' "cars with the best residual value" list (after 5 years, it holds 47% value. for comparison the next 2 up are the corvette at 47.1% and the g37 at 47.2%.. I know that could or couldn't mean much, but it's still comforting!

- The 1 series has been on sale in europe and other parts of the world with pretty much the same parts (which are mostly the same parts as in the 3 series anyway) for about 5 years now, so I don't know if it's really right to consider it a first year model..

Also, in reference to Call's points - I'm not getting the Nav system, so no DVD's, internet, or anything. I see it all as unnecessary. And I already have a great Garmin Nav system. I already know I want jet black or bsm and coral red leather, so the colors aren't a problem for me; and I like the wheels just fine :smile:

I don't know, in my mind I seem to be leaning towards just getting it now; but it might be my great desire for this car clouding my mind. Then again, when I o try to think about it rationally, I don't see any glaring reason to wait when what I want is just a couple states away..

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 02:05 AM   #6
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Quote:
Not sure about the 08 being one year old in October. The model year began in March here in the States so I can't see how it would be one model year old until then.
True, but what I meant was the model year itself. In 5 years, an average used car shopper won't know or really care that the 08s had a shortened model year. To him or her, it's merely the perception of it being a year apart because of one being a 2008 model and another a 2009 model. Of course that difference won't matter as well since mileage will become the most critical factor outside of overall condition and accidents.

New iDrive I believe will only have 8gb free out of a 80gb HD for mp3 storage. The iPod definitely would have the advantage here. If the new iDrive is the same price as the current one, it'd be a bargain, but if there's a significant price increase, I'll probably have to reconsider it some more.

As for the points other than the new iDrive update (since we've determined you will not get it no matter what), the depreciation of the car over a long term period like 5 years would probably negate most of the depreciation by a 08 and 09 model year difference as the mileage would be most important. You're definitely right on this point, however, I would take those residual values as a extremely rough estimate as the resale price will be determined by the market you're selling it in. So in the end, I guess the depreciation isn't much of a major factor, which seems to be the consensus on the other "2008 or wait for 2009" thread. I'm sure you can beat your current $1500 off MSRP with an 08 on a dealer's lot. Go ahead and offer $500 over invoice and see if they bite. That'd be roughly $2500 off MSRP in savings, but there'll be metallic paint which adds another $550 and a sports package which is another $1100. Assuming 2009 and 2008 prices are equal, this sounds like you'd be spending more money than you planned on. Are those extra options really worth it to you, despite the "deal" and instant gratification you'd be getting here?

Another factor that I forgot to bring up was whether you feel it's worth building a long-term relationship with the dealer you already put your order in (Park Ave BMW). In my case, I actually declined a $2250 off MSRP 2009 order deal from a Virginia dealer and accepted the same $1500 off MSRP deal at Park Ave BMW (VA offers no trade-in tax credit whereas NJ does, so the difference in deals was really about $550). I've worked with the Park Ave dealership for 7 years now and I felt that $550 was negligible in respect to building a stronger relationship with the dealer. My current car was also purchased from Park Ave's Acura branch so I'm hoping it helps the trade-in. This of course is all dependent on customer experiences with the CA/SAs. I also declined a reasonable deal on a late production allocation for an 08 because the dealer was a asshole. Money isn't everything.

so after all that what do I conclude? Go ahead and get that 08! haha...you're currently the #1 order at Park Ave BMW and I'm going to be #2 once I get my order finalized. I'll gladly take your #1 allocation spot .
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy View Post
So in the end, I guess the depreciation isn't much of a major factor, which seems to be the consensus on the other "2008 or wait for 2009" thread. I'm sure you can beat your current $1500 off MSRP with an 08 on a dealer's lot. Go ahead and offer $500 over invoice and see if they bite. That'd be roughly $2500 off MSRP in savings, but there'll be metallic paint which adds another $550 and a sports package which is another $1100. Assuming 2009 and 2008 prices are equal, this sounds like you'd be spending more money than you planned on. Are those extra options really worth it to you, despite the "deal" and instant gratification you'd be getting here?

Another factor that I forgot to bring up was whether you feel it's worth building a long-term relationship with the dealer you already put your order in (Park Ave BMW). In my case, I actually declined a $2250 off MSRP 2009 order deal from a Virginia dealer and accepted the same $1500 off MSRP deal at Park Ave BMW (VA offers no trade-in tax credit whereas NJ does, so the difference in deals was really about $550). I've worked with the Park Ave dealership for 7 years now and I felt that $550 was negligible in respect to building a stronger relationship with the dealer. My current car was also purchased from Park Ave's Acura branch so I'm hoping it helps the trade-in. This of course is all dependent on customer experiences with the CA/SAs. I also declined a reasonable deal on a late production allocation for an 08 because the dealer was a asshole. Money isn't everything.

so after all that what do I conclude? Go ahead and get that 08! haha...you're currently the #1 order at Park Ave BMW and I'm going to be #2 once I get my order finalized. I'll gladly take your #1 allocation spot .

My thinking was that everybody here says the sport package is a must anyway, whereas I found the seats uncomfortable. However, after learning that the side-wing things are adjustable, I see a lot of potential for the value of the package. As for JB/BSM I actually started getting a little worried because I'm not the type of guy that would like to wash his car all the time, and after reading posts on this forum saying JB looks best when you CAN wash it all the time, and BSM hides the dirt more, I was actually thinking of changing my order to BSM anyway. So if I can get a deal that would allow me to pretty much get the sport pack for free (an extra $1000 discount), I think it would be very much worth it.

As for the relationship with the dealer, Park Ave isn't the closest dealership to where I live, so I wouldn't be going there for maintenance or anything anyway. I do see your point, but in 5 years I might not even be living in New Jersey any more (after college, probably in grad school), so as of now the money is a little more important. It would be my entire family's first purchase from Park Ave dealerships, but, for example, if we bought from Prestige, it would be our 3rd from that dealership family.

I'll see if I can get a good deal on the 08 model. If I can, I'll gladly give up my #1 allocation spot to you. However, if I knew I wanted iDrive for sure,or if the 08 dealership won't give me a good price, you' have to settle for being second :wink:

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post

Having said the above, if I have it all to do over, knowing what I know now, I would have waited for the 09:
1) upgraded idrive
2) upgraded lcd, nav, internet, dvd play
3) internal HDD
4) wider wheel selection
5) wider body-color selection

Call
I think there is only one new color, Space grey, replacing SGM. What new wheel selection is there?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Personally, if I wasn't getting the nav (which you are not), and I could get one sooner for cheaper, I'd be all over it. Plus, you get the Year 1 of One goodies (if that means anything to you).

If I was getting iDrive, I'd wait for the 09.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #10
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Performance

Is that true that 09 model can be ordered with factory fitted performance parts?? Instead of dealer fitted when you are left with old seats etc.
      07-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I never had any intention of gettting Nav. For less then $500 you can buy a new Garmin voice that is removable.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #12
JLight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelitto View Post
Is that true that 09 model can be ordered with factory fitted performance parts?? Instead of dealer fitted when you are left with old seats etc.
This sounds very interesting, looking for some insights on this question!!!???
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #13
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

get the 2009, no question about it.
RESALE value.....
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #14
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLight View Post
This sounds very interesting, looking for some insights on this question!!!???
yep its true, if you go to bmwusa.com and build your own 1 on the options page there are a variety of performance parts the factory can add on. personally i don't think theyre worth it, the 135 performs just great how it is in my opinion, but i think its awesome theyre giving people thesr options straight out the factory.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #15
BJDrew
Impatiently Waiting
Rep
Drives:

Melbourne is right. The car will decline in value a substantial amount the moment the'09 cars come out. When you go to sell, this will make a very large difference.

Unless the 2009 model will cost you more than $2k, $3k+ more than the '08 - I'd get the '09.

I'm getting my '08 now and wish I could have waited for this very reason - but I have to turn in a lease.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 06:09 PM   #16
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Another point: some people have an aversion to first model year cars, under the belief that the major bugs (if any) will be worked out by the second year.

And I understand the "need it now" thing....I want to do Euro Delivery, but our family trip to Europe doesn't take place until next year. So every time I come to 1addicts, I keep trying to find a way to rationalize an immediate purchase. (Heck, this site already has me thinking the maybe I should just go for a completely stripped 135i instead of the 128i I set out to buy....)

Anyway, if I were you, I'd wait for 2009, and use the extra few months to save a few extra $$$.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #17
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

Depends how much of a discount you can wringle on the 08....and lucky you, daddy's gonna help. My forecast of 09 prices..BMW will be taking a hit just like the rest of the auto industry..not too much of an increase, maybe none. It was already a smart play when BMW had the increase last June because the marketing campaign of yr1of1 paid off, and we did had a demand of the 08's. Take this opportunity to negotiate,learning how to research and eventually the ultimate test..how to decide.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #18
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
yep its true, if you go to bmwusa.com and build your own 1 on the options page there are a variety of performance parts the factory can add on. personally i don't think theyre worth it, the 135 performs just great how it is in my opinion, but i think its awesome theyre giving people thesr options straight out the factory.

Unfortunately, they are not from the factory. What you are seeing is in the accessories section of the configurator. If you order the body kit from there you'll be working the cost into your monthly payments, but you'll still have your factory parts left over to store. If you order the wheels, you'll have 4 wheels in a box waiting for you when you pick up your car.

Each also has a disclaimer that the price listed does not include taxes or installation fees.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #19
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJDrew View Post
Melbourne is right. The car will decline in value a substantial amount the moment the'09 cars come out. When you go to sell, this will make a very large difference.

Unless the 2009 model will cost you more than $2k, $3k+ more than the '08 - I'd get the '09.

I'm getting my '08 now and wish I could have waited for this very reason - but I have to turn in a lease.
i plan to keep this car for over 5 years though.. heck up to ten! in that time the 09 value will take a nose dive when the 2010 models come out, the 2010s will when the 2011s come out, etc. do you think the difference by that time will be quite that much? i figured not, and it might even be worth something more with the year 1 status by ten years.. not that i know ill keep it that long but there's no doubt i wont be able to get another car for at least 5 years. if the difference is still tha much by then it might be worth it to wait..

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #20
HIPSI
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Over time it all works out. Good thing about the 08 is they can be had for a discount and you avoid the 09 price increase, that alone could be worth $2-3k easy. Along with that, because the purchase is late in the model year, if you drive an average amount of miles annually you'll always have a "low mileage" 2008, come 2010 for instance. Those who purchase early in th 09 run stand to have a "high mileage" 2009 for which top dollar was paid, just one model year later.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #21
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4One View Post
Depends how much of a discount you can wringle on the 08....and lucky you, daddy's gonna help. My forecast of 09 prices..BMW will be taking a hit just like the rest of the auto industry..not too much of an increase, maybe none. It was already a smart play when BMW had the increase last June because the marketing campaign of yr1of1 paid off, and we did had a demand of the 08's. Take this opportunity to negotiate,learning how to research and eventually the ultimate test..how to decide.
thats what i was thinking.. if i can get a car with sport package ad metallic paint (after readng jb vs bsm posts i was going to change my preferece to bsm anyway) for about the same price maybe only a little more than my original choice, why not akeit at a good price. i dont consider it a first year model since its been out overseas for years so really i don't think there will be any bugs. plus theres the bonus of still having a year one status without the bug and downsides of it actually being year one. i am lucky to have my dad help but i still have to pay it all slowly :-( i envy those who get this car as a present, they must really be loved! if someone else was buying it for me i wouldn't give a damn what price it was :-) i guess it all comes down to what deal i can get..

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #22
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Unfortunately, they are not from the factory. What you are seeing is in the accessories section of the configurator. If you order the body kit from there you'll be working the cost into your monthly payments, but you'll still have your factory parts left over to store. If you order the wheels, you'll have 4 wheels in a box waiting for you when you pick up your car.

Each also has a disclaimer that the price listed does not include taxes or installation fees.
damn, sorry i better get my facts straight. i assumed that since the parts were on the website they'd be factory installed, since i know some dealers i visited have separate option lists for things tha are installed at the dealership.. like crazy $2k rada detector/laser jammer systems built into thecar and other parts.. thanks for the correction!

Appreciate 0