BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #23
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

Get the 08.

1. you're not getting iDrive, who cares.
2. it should be much easier to wring a deal out of them
3. believe me... SB will be MUCH EASIER to deal with than JB! I only drive my JB vert on sunny days, and even then it's hell to keep nice and black!
      07-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #24
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

we're in the same boat. i found the exact car i was looking for, but with one big difference - it was a Steptronic. so it was exact specs (ordering) vs. instant gratification, and instant gratification won out

an extended test drive and five days of ownership later, i really am not missing the manual trans, so no regrets i guess (at least until SMG makes its way onto the 1!)

besides the instant gratification, i was able to get around $800 over invoice, so the deals are definitely there for the '08s. i usually keep my cars 8-10 years, so the "extra year" of depreciation means little to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #25
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

There is one thing the 2009 model won't have though.

It won't be Year One of the One.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #26
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja325ci View Post
There is one thing the 2009 model won't have though.

It won't be Year One of the One.
At first when i was ordering the 09 I was thinking who cares.. But now the more I think about it, the cooler it seems. It feels special!

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 12:25 AM   #27
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
we're in the same boat. i found the exact car i was looking for, but with one big difference - it was a Steptronic. so it was exact specs (ordering) vs. instant gratification, and instant gratification won out

an extended test drive and five days of ownership later, i really am not missing the manual trans, so no regrets i guess (at least until SMG makes its way onto the 1!)

besides the instant gratification, i was able to get around $800 over invoice, so the deals are definitely there for the '08s. i usually keep my cars 8-10 years, so the "extra year" of depreciation means little to me.
I was debating step vs standard for a while before I decided to go with step. I couldn't find ANY cars anywhere near my preferences when the dealer searched for a standard tranny car. When I changed my preference to steptronic I found about 5 cars in the area with my exact color choices and option preferences! Step makes everything easier to find, and no matter what the MT junkies say, it's a great tranny for driving in traffic every day while still getting out on the weekends, and MT's still a PITA in NJ traffic. And $800 over invoice sounds like a great deal to me! If I can get a price near that I'll kiss the 09 model goodbye, with a giant grin :thumbup:

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #28
acivick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Dinan Sedona 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I was debating step vs standard for a while before I decided to go with step. I couldn't find ANY cars anywhere near my preferences when the dealer searched for a standard tranny car. When I changed my preference to steptronic I found about 5 cars in the area with my exact color choices and option preferences! Step makes everything easier to find, and no matter what the MT junkies say, it's a great tranny for driving in traffic every day while still getting out on the weekends, and MT's still a PITA in NJ traffic. And $800 over invoice sounds like a great deal to me! If I can get a price near that I'll kiss the 09 model goodbye, with a giant grin :thumbup:
Doubtful you're going to get that kind of deal in NJ, since they're selling like hotcakes. My CA even told me he just sold one to some guy who paid $1200 OVER invoice! Also, remember that any car at a dealer's lot is more likely to have been test-driven, and probably pretty hard, given my test-drive experience...

With that said though, I saw a blue one while driving through Hoboken last night and it made me think about how the wait to pick up mine at the end of the week is going to be hell. Also, the difference between 08 and 09 for depreciation won't mean much in 5+ years, particularly once they do a full update. You can do a rough approximation by looking at consecutive years of, say, the 330i with similar mileage. You'll see them being very close. I say if you're not getting the new nav and the dealer's car is low mileage (<20 or so), just pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #29
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acivick View Post
Doubtful you're going to get that kind of deal in NJ, since they're selling like hotcakes. My CA even told me he just sold one to some guy who paid $1200 OVER invoice! Also, remember that any car at a dealer's lot is more likely to have been test-driven, and probably pretty hard, given my test-drive experience...

With that said though, I saw a blue one while driving through Hoboken last night and it made me think about how the wait to pick up mine at the end of the week is going to be hell. Also, the difference between 08 and 09 for depreciation won't mean much in 5+ years, particularly once they do a full update. You can do a rough approximation by looking at consecutive years of, say, the 330i with similar mileage. You'll see them being very close. I say if you're not getting the new nav and the dealer's car is low mileage (<20 or so), just pick it up.
2 relatively close dealerships have the same exact car that im thinking about, ones in PA the other in MA, so i wouldn't be getting it in NJ anyway unless i go for my ordered car. one car has 12 miles on it the oher has 10, a least the last time the listings were updated. 1200 over invoice is still a better deal than i got on the ordered car, but im not sure if it would make the extras on the pickup car worth it. maybe...

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #30
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

I think you will be fine, judging on how you research things and weigh them. One of the hardest question that I have asked myself was the fuel pump issue on the N54's. The problem seems to appear already, but i guess there is no conclusive solution yet on 08's or 09's. There are a lot of engine and turbo savvy people round here, and they do discuss it, so pounce on the threads, it is a mastercard (He he, Priceless!!)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #31
BJDrew
Impatiently Waiting
Rep
Drives:

No need to take above invoice in NJ. Don't buy that line.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #32
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

Quote:
Originally Posted by acivick View Post

I believe the correct word for your second statement is $1200 over suggested retail price. My reason for this is that, a 1200 above invoice is like getting around $1500 discount from MSRP. To put it in a good perspective, the above over invoice is the profit you are willing to give to the dealer,and a dealer marks it up about 6,7 0r 8 % over the invoice. A lot of us here will go gah gah over with what you stated specially my cowboy (Texas) friends. Is that what you meant? If i am mistaken, then mea culpa.
Appreciate 0