BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quaife LSD and GIAC done yesterday

Hi all,

An update on my car - you will see the total mods so far in my signature including the BHP and Torque BEFORE the GIAC tune. I have to go back on Saturday to get the "after" figures to allow time for the ECU to "adapt" I am anticipating 380-390 BHP and 400 - 410 Ft lbs. My car was quick before, but no the only word to describe it is "Brutal" 2nd gear feels like 1st gear did.

The Quaife is a must. I am just glad I fitted this in the morning before and had a 60 mile drive to get to see the difference before the GIAC remap was done. Traction was far better and getting powere on earlier when exiting corners was fun too. 1st and 2nd gear accelleration was also better as there was very little wheel spin.....that was before the GIAC though. Now I need to wait till the raods are dry to really try it out as in the wt 1st gear is.... well....... whats the word ?........... "difficult" would seem to be the best choice here. 2nd gear, well not much better and 3rd, at last some real grip, that is after a bit of spin on the gear change. If I hadn't had the Quaife who knows what would have happened.
At one point I did get some grip in 2nd (a very small dry patch) and the car bit the road and felt more like my Prodrive Imprezza used to when it hit 3500RPM. I manage to get a few dry bits in 2nd gear too and it was absolutley awesome.

so, all in all I'm very, very pleased and the car is transformed in such a dramatic way it was like the 1st time I floored it and grinned from ear to ear. The power and delivery are out of this world.

ROLL ON THE SUMMER !!!!!!
      03-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-135i View Post
Hi all,

An update on my car - you will see the total mods so far in my signature including the BHP and Torque BEFORE the GIAC tune. I have to go back on Saturday to get the "after" figures to allow time for the ECU to "adapt" I am anticipating 380-390 BHP and 400 - 410 Ft lbs. My car was quick before, but no the only word to describe it is "Brutal" 2nd gear feels like 1st gear did.

The Quaife is a must. I am just glad I fitted this in the morning before and had a 60 mile drive to get to see the difference before the GIAC remap was done. Traction was far better and getting powere on earlier when exiting corners was fun too. 1st and 2nd gear accelleration was also better as there was very little wheel spin.....that was before the GIAC though. Now I need to wait till the raods are dry to really try it out as in the wt 1st gear is.... well....... whats the word ?........... "difficult" would seem to be the best choice here. 2nd gear, well not much better and 3rd, at last some real grip, that is after a bit of spin on the gear change. If I hadn't had the Quaife who knows what would have happened.
At one point I did get some grip in 2nd (a very small dry patch) and the car bit the road and felt more like my Prodrive Imprezza used to when it hit 3500RPM. I manage to get a few dry bits in 2nd gear too and it was absolutley awesome.

so, all in all I'm very, very pleased and the car is transformed in such a dramatic way it was like the 1st time I floored it and grinned from ear to ear. The power and delivery are out of this world.

Si, man. Great update. Can't believe nobody else has responded to this. My BMW PS is on the way along with a set of Dunlop Direzza Star Spec V1 Non-RFTs. Putting on the PS first to check out the ride with my Michie PS2 RFTs, then will add the Dunlops. After that comes the Quaife LSD by the end of April!! Cannot wait.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Even dead bone stock, the car needs an LSD so bad.
Agreed.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogijet View Post
Si, man. Great update. Can't believe nobody else has responded to this. My BMW PS is on the way along with a set of Dunlop Direzza Star Spec V1 Non-RFTs. Putting on the PS first to check out the ride with my Michie PS2 RFTs, then will add the Dunlops. After that comes the Quaife LSD by the end of April!! Cannot wait.
You won't regret it. The car is sooo different....by the way the figures in my Signature are now the "after" dyno run
      03-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
by the way the figures in my Signature are now the "after" dyno run
with no downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Ser1es
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i ///M Sport

What did the LSD and installation run you?
      03-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
N55_NOLE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser1es View Post
What did the LSD and installation run you?
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep

Quote:
You won't regret it. The car is sooo different....by the way the figures in my Signature are now the "after" dyno run
Nice work. Nice mods choices. Two of them are in the cards at some point down the road for me, God willing. The BMW PPK and the Advans.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.

Last edited by Yogijet; 04-01-2011 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
1fastbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Taking a day off this week and installing my Suspension and Quaife myself, so we will see how it goes but cant wait to take it out after it all is done. I was quoted $700-800 for the diff install but they wanted $3500 with the suspension (shocks, springs, all M3 pcs and a few Dinan parts) they were not willing to look at the over lapping labor, so going to save myself some $$$.
JB4 l Berk AB l AP Mids l PLM DP's l RSD CP l Injen CAI l BSH OCC l ETS FMIC l Koni FSD's l BMW Performance Springs l Complete M3 Frt & Rear l Dinan Shock Mnts & Camber Plates l Quaife LSD l Morel Speakers l Zapco Amps l BMW SS Pedals l Pearlescent Brake Handle l 30% Tint l ICarbon Dry Diffuser l Matte / Gloss Grills l Black 135i emblem l P3 V2 Gauge l SF-71's l Conti DW's 235/265-19's l LCI Tails l Lux H8
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastbmw View Post
Taking a day off this week and installing my Suspension and Quaife myself, so we will see how it goes but cant wait to take it out after it all is done. I was quoted $700-800 for the diff install but they wanted $3500 with the suspension (shocks, springs, all M3 pcs and a few Dinan parts) they were not willing to look at the over lapping labor, so going to save myself some $$$.
Nice. Suspension and Direzza's come in on a boat on Wed so I should have on this weekend. I've already lined up my mechanic to fit the suspension. You must tell me which pieces from the M3 upgrade kit you got and how they're working once you put them on. I thought of M3 bits but figured I'd get the regular BMW PS first, see what the performance difference over stock is, then put on the M3 bits. Quaife (mine's a step) from HPA should be in later this month. That'll go on with the M3 rear subframe bushings which appear to be a must-have. Since they have to drop the exhaust for the Quaife install, I thought of doing the downpipes at the same time as well. Jury's still out on that though as I haven't figured out yet which one I want.

Last edited by Yogijet; 04-05-2011 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
with no downpipes?
Stock DP's
      04-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #12
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55_NOLE View Post
+1
£2000 fitted While you wait (exchange final drive unit)
      04-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #13
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I guess your is an Auto then
      04-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
1fastbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
I do have an auto,

Yogijet - the Frt components went in last night and took about 5 hrs, the M3 bits went in really easy and I would guess would only take about 2 hrs without the struts.
JB4 l Berk AB l AP Mids l PLM DP's l RSD CP l Injen CAI l BSH OCC l ETS FMIC l Koni FSD's l BMW Performance Springs l Complete M3 Frt & Rear l Dinan Shock Mnts & Camber Plates l Quaife LSD l Morel Speakers l Zapco Amps l BMW SS Pedals l Pearlescent Brake Handle l 30% Tint l ICarbon Dry Diffuser l Matte / Gloss Grills l Black 135i emblem l P3 V2 Gauge l SF-71's l Conti DW's 235/265-19's l LCI Tails l Lux H8
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #15
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep

Quote:
I do have an auto,

Yogijet - the Frt components went in last night and took about 5 hrs, the M3 bits went in really easy and I would guess would only take about 2 hrs without the struts.
Sweet. You must tell us about the 'drive', 1fast.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #16
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Hi all,

Excellent upgrades!

I only wish more people will start considering a Quaife or any LSD instead of just dumping their money on power adders that will just go up in one single tire smoke most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Nice, hey, used to work in Chesterfield Twp before I moved out of state.

I've dropped in a quaife before into a different car. But I had a question for you, for this car, since we're not replacing the ring gear (Since you and I have autos) do we need to reshim it for the turning torque/wear patterns?

I had to on my other car (not fun, there are something like 20 different thickness shims depending on your final numbers)
      05-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #18
1fastbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
I did not have to change anything, these cars do not use shims, they actail have a percision ground snap ring that holds the carrier bearings in place that set the correct side load. Most people get away without changing anything as long as you are careful and reuse the stock bearings. Just check before and after backlash should be near .004", if it does not fall into place then you will need to order the correct snap rings.

See my DIY for details - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...hlight=lsd+diy
Appreciate 0