BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #67
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

msos has a good assesment, but I venture to guess that the manual driver who is putting stress on the components is putting about the same as the DCT does regularly. There is a reason why the DCT systems require frequent, expensive maintenance.

No clue ads of now what kind of longevity or lifecycle cost these things will truly have in real service. It will take a few years yet.

Not important to all, but certainly an important consideration to some.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #68
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

My quick 2 cents from my ED trip..I put over 1000 miles on my 2011 DCT in less than 5 days! Lots of driving through Munich, Italian Alps, Swiss Mountains, Tunnels, Snow, Rain, etc. The exhaust is my highlight..I love the sound! The throaty gurgling race sound is so much more M-esque IMHO than the N54 iterations (Angry3 is right though, it's not significantly louder. More bark on startup and throatier overall but on WOT it's possibly on par if not a tad louder than the N54...which sounds more metallic raspy (I like that too, by the way) Also, my initial impressions compared to my 335 coupe is that it doesn't feel as flat and neutral (more understeer at the limit) but feels more frisky and fun on the twisties. It's more rewarding if you're willing to put in the effort. The suspension is a tad bouncy in front and takes some correction at high speeds as you go over small bumps. I got my suspension along with some other tricks here for the car once it arrives...we'll see how that pans out.

This iteration of the DCT took some getting used to (it has more options and more flexibility than the DSG on my A3) and when you dump it into "M/S" Mode WITH the "Sport" Button it really comes alive and the throttle gets touchy and immediate (same shift gurgling and burping through the lower gears as my Audi as well). You can mix and match the "Sport" button with "D" or "M/S" so it's interesting to play with the combinations for everyday use. I haven't tried launch control as the manual says to wait until 1200 miles...Otherwise, the car is small and a bit cramped but feels more cacooned and sporty than my 3. Small cars always do that. Too bad the seating position is too high as I feel it will feel even sportier if you can get it lower. But I'm loving it so far. Now the 1 month wait to get it to the shore begins...

This is not my car but will give you an idea of the exhaust startup sound...
      05-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #69
pDz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135

i can't wait for feedback after track time.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #70
JS135i
The Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SOLD: 135i - Black/Black

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
2nd tank of gas averaged 24.3mpg at 37.5 mph.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #71
msos
always been a BMW fan.........
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Porsche 997

MPG and Redline

For ChrisK who asked about holding redline today for the first time I took it took redline and it shifted for me to the next gear so unless I am doing something wrong this is probably a good thing........as car feels like it reached peak performance prior to redline anyhow. Once you push this motor it really seems to get to high speeds quickly. At least twice today on the highway I was over 110mph within a few seconds and with plenty more to go...........

As for MPG.......not sure how the others are driving but my average according to the computer read out is now heading down from a peak of 20.2 to 19.7 and seems to be heading lower. Considering this is supposed to be a performance oriented car.........why are some so obsessed with MPG?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #72
perral1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Vert DCT LMB/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by msos View Post
For ChrisK who asked about holding redline today for the first time I took it took redline and it shifted for me to the next gear
Was this in manual mode? I know some people, myself included, would rather not have the computer make decisions for them in M - that's the reason for concern over this.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #73
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
... As for MPG.......not sure how the others are driving but my average according to the computer read out is now heading down from a peak of 20.2 to 19.7 and seems to be heading lower. Considering this is supposed to be a performance oriented car.........why are some so obsessed with MPG?
A well designed consumer performance car (not a track racer or an exotica) should be able to do both: return performance when needed, but also provide decent highway mileage (even Corvette does this). BMW has managed to do this fairly well in the past for the 3 series. And I suspect in the future with new CAFE regs, it will improve on all lines, too. In fact, this is one of the reasons I purchased a 135i, it has both performance and the ability to get decent highway mileage (well, assuming the driver is your grandmother ). I understand what you are saying about performance, but OTH, I don't want to be penalized when it's not "performing". FWIW, I'm averaging 22.6 mpg and have 1700+ miles, mixed city and highway.

pge
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #74
pDz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perral1 View Post
Was this in manual mode? I know some people, myself included, would rather not have the computer make decisions for them in M - that's the reason for concern over this.
is there an "M" or "sport" mode that perhaps you need to switch into every day to avoid this when you want complete control over shifting?

it makes a difference in the steptronic in how it shifts, i'd guess the same goes here.

i 'think' when the shiny veneer wears off we might all take a deep breath and see that this isn't so different from VAG DSG after all? or not?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #75
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
For ChrisK who asked about holding redline today for the first time I took it took redline and it shifted for me to the next gear so unless I am doing something wrong this is probably a good thing........as car feels like it reached peak performance prior to redline anyhow. Once you push this motor it really seems to get to high speeds quickly. At least twice today on the highway I was over 110mph within a few seconds and with plenty more to go...........

As for MPG.......not sure how the others are driving but my average according to the computer read out is now heading down from a peak of 20.2 to 19.7 and seems to be heading lower. Considering this is supposed to be a performance oriented car.........why are some so obsessed with MPG?
Thanks for the update! I tend to shift before redline myself.
      05-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #76
perral1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz View Post
is there an "M" or "sport" mode that perhaps you need to switch into every day to avoid this when you want complete control over shifting?

it makes a difference in the steptronic in how it shifts, i'd guess the same goes here.

i 'think' when the shiny veneer wears off we might all take a deep breath and see that this isn't so different from VAG DSG after all? or not?
Here's what I've figured out:

The shifter, almost exactly like the step, can be either in "D" mode or "S" mode, with S mode holding gears longer. If you shift using the paddles while in D mode, it'll shift as you tell it, then stay where you put it for a few seconds, then switch back to D mode. If you shift while in S mode, it'll change it to M mode, and should then stay in whatever gear you tell it to stay in - for the most part. Have yet to get a confirmed answer on whether it'll upshift at redline or downshift using kickdown.

Separate from this, there's a "Sport" button that remaps the throttle (quicker throttle response) and causes the transmission to execute the shifts quicker. This can be used with D, S, or M mode.

I don't know anything about the DSG, so I can't comment on that.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #77
msos
United_States
Rep

M/S Mode- pulling shift lever to the left (towards driver)

Manual Mode has both M and S.......to be honest have not read the owners manual on the exact differences but it appears as others have stated that if you manually shift in this mode with the paddles the tranny holds the gears for you............BUT..........when it feels you are no longer engaged it takes over for you and shifts both UP and DOWN........

In everyday driving (in traffic) its hard to stay focussed on what exactly is going on and when the tranny seems to take over for you, but the track is where I will find out for sure........if I notice anything different I will keep you all posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #78
perral1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Manual Mode has both M and S.......to be honest have not read the owners manual on the exact differences but it appears as others have stated that if you manually shift in this mode with the paddles the tranny holds the gears for you............BUT..........when it feels you are no longer engaged it takes over for you and shifts both UP and DOWN........

In everyday driving (in traffic) its hard to stay focussed on what exactly is going on and when the tranny seems to take over for you, but the track is where I will find out for sure........if I notice anything different I will keep you all posted.
You're the one with the car and I'm not, so I don't mean to contradict you, but....that doesn't seem like the intended or expected behavior. The car should never leave M mode unless you push the lever back over into "D" mode. If you shift while in D mode, then that's what I've read happens - it holds the gears you select temporarily, then takes back over. When you shift while in S mode, it should move to M mode and stay that way.

I guess I'll know in a few weeks. My car got on a boat on Friday (May 7) so hopefully not too much longer.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #79
BSM 335I
Sir Boost-a-Lot
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Next time try holding down the + paddle down after selecting the next gear.

Ex. 1st to 2nd gear, if you want to hold redline in 2nd gear and prevent it from shifting as you would in a manual just hold down the paddle when you go to pull it to shift into 2nd gear, except this time don;'t release it and give it gas to redline. Just be ready to let the paddle go or else it will bounce off the rev limiter as it would in a manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #80
pDz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 335I View Post
Next time try holding down the + paddle down after selecting the next gear.

Ex. 1st to 2nd gear, if you want to hold redline in 2nd gear and prevent it from shifting as you would in a manual just hold down the paddle when you go to pull it to shift into 2nd gear, except this time don;'t release it and give it gas to redline. Just be ready to let the paddle go or else it will bounce off the rev limiter as it would in a manual.
sounds like "sport" mode should be programmed to do that anyway (and it also sounds like it does) but in "D" mode it will shift according to algorithm (which is probably smarter than most humans).

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #81
msos
United_States
Rep

What the owners manual says......about control over shifting.

In the following situations the 7-gear Sports Automatic Transmission with double clutch does the thinking for you:

Upshifts and downshifts are executed only when they will resultin a plausible combination of engine and vehicle speed; thus, for example a downshift that could cause the engine to overrev will not be executed by the system

This HAS been my experience that when pushed to redline it shifts for you and it appears on downshifting it will also "think" for you...........

Sorry for all those folks who want complete control, but now that I think of it some of the articles I have read on new M3 DCT says that some of the testdrivers found that the engine was shifting for them under testing conditions so it sounds like a programming issue that is there to "protect components" which considering BMW has one of the best warranties in the biz.....makes sense.....

Last edited by msos; 05-15-2010 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: punctuation looks wrong....
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #82
Sarinaslegal
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DC-T M Sport

M/s shift and sport button

Ive read the threads and scoured google for an answer and haven't come up with a satisfactory explanation of the difference between the sport button and m/s shift for a Dct 135i. Both give the car racier performance. I'm trying to get an answer from BMW on this. The drivers manual is vague. The car is ferocious enough in d mode alone but the sport button makes the engine more agile. If anyone has a true understanding of what actually happens with either option I'd appreciate it thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #83
BFD99
The Stig!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Holy old thread revival!
      12-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #84
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD99 View Post
Holy old thread revival!
Wow!

To me sport button = better throttle response, quicker shifts and holds gears slightly longer. It's the gentlemen's "m" button.

S mode holds gears obnoxiously long for everyday driving. It will shift quicker too but it won't shift into 7th so it'll hurt your gas mileage.
      12-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #85
EmUc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsublime View Post
Wow!

To me sport button = better throttle response, quicker shifts and holds gears slightly longer. It's the gentlemen's "m" button.

S mode holds gears obnoxiously long for everyday driving. It will shift quicker too but it won't shift into 7th so it'll hurt your gas mileage.
Good summary. To me, I need something in between D and S. The clutch engagement feels laggy in D and feels much better in S. But then S lets the engine rev a bit too much for normal driving. I want the clutch engagement of S but not holding the gears as long. Yeah, should have gone with manual but I still like the DCT. Getting older and lazier.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #86
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Since this zombie thread appears to have emerged...

... having had my 2012 135i with DCT for only a month now I may not be the best judge of normal driving of this car. But I've found I'm most comfortable when I get the car in drive to immediately slap it over to the left, nudge it forward to put it in Manual mode and then hit the start button. From then on, it's a manual transmission car and I drive it like one.

I think I've used D mode maybe half a dozen times but the long, slow lazy shifts annoyed the hell out of me so even if I am driving in auto mode I will at least hit the sport button.

Maybe that's just me, but having owned manual transmission cars for years I am most comfortable shifting it myself.
Appreciate 0