03-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #23
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by $Everfly$ View Post
I want one, without group buy is around $500 so may just wait for another group buy come around
I would recommend saving 50 and bringing the price down to 400 by skipping the extra vent. I had the original vent from my car and used that to install my v2.1 and it was not that difficult.

I suspect you may be waiting a while for another group buy, but ask RiXst3r.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #24
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Good demo video of the v2 gauge, this sold me into upgrading from v1.

Yeah, good video.
But the price kills it for me.
I bought the PPK, which gives me actual power, not just watching power, for less than that.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #25
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
I know this is the ///M section but as others will no doubt read it I thought I should add this:

If you have an N55 Engine and are using the Digital Boost reading instead of the Vacuum Tap AND you have a JB3/JB4 then you have to go through the firewall and tap the MAF Sensor on the JB Harness to get actual boost. You then set the Gauge to A.N55.

This only adds bout 6 minutes to the install though...

Also: I love my P3....
      03-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #26
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Yeah, good video.
But the price kills it for me.
I bought the PPK, which gives me actual power, not just watching power, for less than that.
Watching power? Its more like monitoring engine parameters that are vital especially when you have modifications done to the car. Any true enthusiast would appreciate what it has to offer.

@ PPK providing actual power.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #27
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
I'm away from a Pc right now so can't get a good look at the install pics. Does the gauge have to be disconnected in order to access the OBD plug (i.e. for services, repairs, etc)?

Thx

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #28
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
I'm away from a Pc right now so can't get a good look at the install pics. Does the gauge have to be disconnected in order to access the OBD plug (i.e. for services, repairs, etc)?

Thx

I left mine in for service...but i told my SA that if they needed to access the OBD2 port, to just unplug it. All you have to do is unplug the OBD connector and the gauge turns off.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #29
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Ok, thanks

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #30
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
There are some folks that installed the previous v2 gauge and were able to use an OBD2 splitter to keep their port open and completely hide the gauge plug (even though only 1 device can read the canbus at a time).

My understanding is this is no longer possible with the v2.1 (and/or possibly not recommended by RiXst3r/P3). As a result, I didn't look into it any further.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #31
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
No worries, I was mostly just curious if it used a pass through connector or not. It's still a really nice looking gauge and is on my list right behind the N55 mid-pipes

Thx

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #32
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

To expensive. And I like more classical look... MO
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #33
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Does it come with instructions? I've done my own installs on previous cars, but I find there's a lack of information on how to take our cars apart lol. Then again, I've only been on the platform for 1.5 months...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #34
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Does it come with instructions? I've done my own installs on previous cars, but I find there's a lack of information on how to take our cars apart lol. Then again, I've only been on the platform for 1.5 months...
Yeah is on their site and it only takes like 30 min to do
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #35
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
Watching power? Its more like monitoring engine parameters that are vital especially when you have modifications done to the car. Any true enthusiast would appreciate what it has to offer.

@ PPK providing actual power.
There are certain things worth of monitoring... RPM, oil/water temp, etc.
Things that you can do something about. Things that affect your driving style.
Boost? Sure, if you installed a non-OEM turbo, I can see where you want to monitor it, if for nothing else, just to help you sleep at night knowing that it's still working.
But a factory turbo, one that is supposed to be transparent? What can you do about it? Why is it crucial to know what boost number you're running while driving?
It's like monitoring the battery voltage. Some older cars used to come with that guage. Why did they stop? Yeah, nice to know, but what do you do about it while driving?

Like I said, for a hundred bucks, maybe. It's something to watch for entertainment.
But $500? No, thank you. I'm not that OCD.

Yes, PPK provides real power. A lot more than changing exhaust and cone filters. And without affecting fuel consumption nor emissions to boot.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #36
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

Quote:
Boost? Sure, if you installed a non-OEM turbo, I can see where you want to monitor it, if for nothing else, just to help you sleep at night knowing that it's still working.
But a factory turbo, one that is supposed to be transparent? What can you do about it? Why is it crucial to know what boost number you're running while driving?
It's like monitoring the battery voltage. Some older cars used to come with that guage. Why did they stop? Yeah, nice to know, but what do you do about it while driving?

Like I said, for a hundred bucks, maybe. It's something to watch for entertainment.
That's based on an assumption that one is running stock or nearly stock boost etc. There are those of us running aftermarket tunes and are constantly tweaking boost levels amount many other things; This is still on the stock turbos. That's where this gauge would come in handy, esp with the piggy backs where boost is dynamically raised or lowered by the tune based on running conditions at that moment. It's helpful to know whether or not our settings are being hit.

The other parameters you mentioned worth monitoring are also displayable through this gauge as well.

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #37
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:

Yes, PPK provides real power. A lot more than changing exhaust and cone filters. And without affecting fuel consumption nor emissions to boot.
Is your 135i your first turbo car? Serious question.

Monitoring boost levels is crucial even with OEM turbos. I have my 135i modified and I can easily tell if I am hitting my boost targets and/or if I have a boost leak/vacuum leak. If I suspect there is a problem, I can easily check on it to fix the issue. I can also monitor ignition timing in real time which lets me know if timing is being pulled during a pull. This can be due to bad gas or other factors, but the fact is that it will let me know if my car is running optimal or not. It also has a built in code reader so that whenever a check engine light appears, you will know exactly why it threw a code instead of taking it in at a BMW dealership and having them pull the code for you and maybe charging a diagnostic fee lol. Intake air temperatures and exhaust gas temperatures are important parameters to monitor when you are modified as you don't want those temps to be too high.

Obviously all of this may not be important to somebody else, that is why a cheaper version exists. But for me, it is a very handy tool which lets me monitor parameters that I find very important in how my car is running.

PPK adds what, 15-20hp? Yeah I made that much just from switching downpipes lol. It didn't affect my fuel consumption unless its my right foot doing the work.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #38
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
Monitoring boost levels is crucial even with OEM turbos. I have my 135i modified and I can easily tell if I am hitting my boost targets and/or if I have a boost leak/vacuum leak. If I suspect there is a problem, I can easily check on it to fix the issue. I can also monitor ignition timing in real time which lets me know if timing is being pulled during a pull. This can be due to bad gas or other factors, but the fact is that it will let me know if my car is running optimal or not. It also has a built in code reader so that whenever a check engine light appears, you will know exactly why it threw a code instead of taking it in at a BMW dealership and having them pull the code for you and maybe charging a diagnostic fee lol. Intake air temperatures and exhaust gas temperatures are important parameters to monitor when you are modified as you don't want those temps to be too high.
This.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #39
MB38
[insert witty title here]
Rep
Drives: '97 Supra TT, '11 1M

Shit, my 1992 Volvo wagon had a boost gauge...

I'm honestly stunned that the 1M doesn't have a monitoring system similar to Nissan's GT-R built into iDrive...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #40
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB38 View Post
Shit, my 1992 Volvo wagon had a boost gauge...
And coolant temp and a voltmeter, two things that the P3 gauge v2 also adds.
Appreciate 0