BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-19-2023, 11:43 PM   #1
Ebukaem
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Small Measurements Request

Hey everyone. I’m planning on buying a 135i and relocating the radiator to the top of the front core support with a duct running to it and out of it through the hood. Could somebody measure the distance between the edge of the front core support and to the tip of the engine. I have a photo here just to reference the measurement I need, thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ebukaem; 08-20-2023 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 07:21 AM   #2
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I can't imagine such a measurement wouldn't be better off being made by you after you have the actual car/victim in-hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 07:52 AM   #3
scratchgolf135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: alpine white 135i

I’ve looked at every possible angle to create a hood extracted duct for my rad and there just not enough room. I’m confused about what you’re trying to do. Are you saying you’re going to run a horizontal radiator at the top of the core support?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 09:38 AM   #4
Ebukaem
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchgolf135 View Post
I’ve looked at every possible angle to create a hood extracted duct for my rad and there just not enough room. I’m confused about what you’re trying to do. Are you saying you’re going to run a horizontal radiator at the top of the core support?
yea once I get the car I plan on cutting and making a bracket on the top of the front core support with a duct running directly to it and directly out of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 10:19 AM   #5
Ebukaem
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
I can't imagine such a measurement wouldn't be better off being made by you after you have the actual car/victim in-hand.
Since I’m making a custom radiator, I just want the measurements before so once I get the car can immediately get to work. Since the radiator is directly ducted and made out of copper, I’d imagine even with the reduced surface area it would still cool better and be more efficient than the stock one.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 07:36 AM   #6
scratchgolf135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Excuse the dust, this build has been ongoing for over a year.

08-21-2023, 07:52 AM   #7
scratchgolf135
First Lieutenant
Rep

I didn't measure to the front of the actual core support as you can't go over that anyways. The hood slopes down to meet the core support and unless you're deleting the hood latch and the ac condenser you couldn't do that anyways.
      08-21-2023, 09:08 AM   #8
Ebukaem
Rep

Quote:
I didn't measure to the front of the actual core support as you can't go over that anyways. The hood slopes down to meet the core support and unless you're deleting the hood latch and the ac condenser you couldn't do that anyways.
Thanks for the photo and yes I am deleting the hood latch and relocating the ac condenser with the radiator maybe I’ll post the 3d model once I have the areo optimized for the car
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 09:33 AM   #9
scratchgolf135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well good luck to you. The stock inlet shrouding to the rad is quite good on this car. For that reason I'll just be running a trackspec vent (working with them currently on a set for our cars, should be done soon) to help with the outlet air. I'm personally still considering going to a thinner custom fan shroud to clear up room so I can duct the radiator properly to the hood but still haven't decided if I want to give up DME control of the fan since there is no way to integrate fan control with an aftermarket fan so it'd have to be standalone control with no input from the car.
      08-21-2023, 11:13 AM   #10
Ebukaem
Rep

Quote:
Well good luck to you. The stock inlet shrouding to the rad is quite good on this car. For that reason I'll just be running a trackspec vent (working with them currently on a set for our cars, should be done soon) to help with the outlet air. I'm personally still considering going to a thinner custom fan shroud to clear up room so I can duct the radiator properly to the hood but still haven't decided if I want to give up DME control of the fan since there is no way to integrate fan control with an aftermarket fan so it'd have to be standalone control with no input from the car.
What I’m doing really is just ducting air in and out to a low pressure zone in the hood the areas that you’re exhausting the air needs to be low pressure so the cooling can actually work. The main reason for this is for front downforce.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 12:01 PM   #11
scratchgolf135
First Lieutenant
Rep

I understand, I’m doing the same with the trackspec vent, just not ducting the rad directly to it but the vent will still reduce under hood pressure enough to provide great benefit to rad flow and improved downforce. Unless you’re building a race car with no rad fan direct ducting for the rad is 100% unnecessary but would still be a fun project which is why I’m remotely interested in doing so as well.
Appreciate 0