BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-31-2023, 03:30 AM   #1
Dirty1thirty5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Schroth quick fit or buckets and harness?

I recently picked up a 135i that I plan to use as a track car.
I can’t decide on whether to get a schroth quick fit harness, or to go all out and get buckets and harnesses.
What are your guy’s thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 06:46 AM   #2
fotontom
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i E82 M-Sport, 528i F10

If you are setting it up as a track car only, get the best seats and harness available. I use the 4-point quick fit Schroth harness in my street car and it's fine for that.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2023, 09:48 AM   #3
Goodmanfue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

I debated this concept as well for when I do TT’s in NASA. I will most likely get proper seats & harness along with a cage. The quick fit is nice, but HPR doesn’t allow 4 point harnesses, only 5 or greater.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2023, 12:23 AM   #4
Dirty1thirty5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotontom View Post
If you are setting it up as a track car only, get the best seats and harness available. I use the 4-point quick fit Schroth harness in my street car and it's fine for that.
Do you have any suggestions on seats.
Was consider the fx1 corbeau’s.
Will bucket seats make the seat lower? I sit kind of high in this car. And I’m not super tall.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 12:24 AM   #5
Dirty1thirty5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodmanfue View Post
I debated this concept as well for when I do TT’s in NASA. I will most likely get proper seats & harness along with a cage. The quick fit is nice, but HPR doesn’t allow 4 point harnesses, only 5 or greater.
I’ve been looking for cages as well. I was excited to find out studio rsr is not super far from me. But then I read the google reviews and I’m kind of scared to deal with them. There’s amazing reviews or horrible reviews.
Any cage suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 12:35 AM   #6
Goodmanfue
Enlisted Member
Rep

Personally, I was looking at Autopower. If I recall correctly, the RSR harness bar is too low. A guy I met through the local SCCA chapter uses the autopower roll bar for his 135i in TT’s. An instructor of mine the local BMWCCA gave me a reference to have someone weld/assemble a cage so I might go that route.

If NASA/SCCA/BMWCCA has any local chapters near you, I’d reach out to the folks there. They probably know someone local that could fabricate a cage or install a bolt in cage.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 12:39 AM   #7
Dirty1thirty5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Personally, I was looking at Autopower. If I recall correctly, the RSR harness bar is too low. A guy I met through the local SCCA chapter uses the autopower roll bar for his 135i in TT’s. An instructor of mine the local BMWCCA gave me a reference to have someone weld/assemble a cage so I might go that route.

If NASA/SCCA/BMWCCA has any local chapters near you, I’d reach out to the folks there. They probably know someone local that could fabricate a cage or install a bolt in cage.
I didn’t know that about the RSR cage. I guess that automatically knocks them off the list.
I was considering auto power also but they look so cheap. I’ve never seen one in person but they look like the spot that they bolt to the car with uses a small plate. That seems possibly problematic if it actually rolls.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 12:47 AM   #8
Goodmanfue
Enlisted Member
Rep

Fe1rx noted the issue with the RSR cage somewhere on this forum. He’s a great resource on the forums. He ended up making his own cage.

I’ve read mixed reviews about the autopower regarding regarding the area it bolts onto on this forum as well. From what I’ve been told, the guy racing in TT in SCCA has had no issues. But of course, he hasn’t rolled over…

I’m leaning towards reaching out to a local fab shop that produces cages for TT’s/W2W racing. Unfortunately, there aren’t a lot of pre built cages for the 1er.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 12:49 AM   #9
Dirty1thirty5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Fe1rx noted the issue with the RSR cage somewhere on this forum. He’s a great resource on the forums. He ended up making his own cage.

I’ve read mixed reviews about the autopower regarding regarding the area it bolts onto on this forum as well. From what I’ve been told, the guy racing in TT in SCCA has had no issues. But of course, he hasn’t rolled over…

I’m leaning towards reaching out to a local fab shop that produces cages for TT’s/W2W racing. Unfortunately, there aren’t a lot of pre built cages for the 1er.
Do you happen to be in SoCal? Hoping to use your source for a fabbed cage if so.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 12:51 AM   #10
Goodmanfue
Enlisted Member
Rep

No, I’m located in Colorado. I’m sure there are plenty of race shops that could do it in soCal
Appreciate 0