BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Clinking in the wheels

Hey, has anyone noticed at low speeds, particularly when you turn the wheel a bit of a clinking noise like pebbles are rustling around in the rotors or the wheels? I'm guessing it's the pebbles they put on the roads here for the ice, which are getting into the cross drilled rotors? Annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
borabora
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 M

i have this clinking noise coming from the rotors but after driving , once i parked the car . i don't know why but the compound brake rotors make that noise for a few minutes while cooling down !
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
yemski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 1M Coupe  [0.00]
The clinking noise you hear after driving the car is from the metal shafts contracting on the rotors. If you look at the rotors you will see the shafts connecting to the wheel hub and a gap between the two. This is designed to allow for thermal expansion. I remember one of the M videos or interviews talking about the clinking sound.

Last edited by yemski; 03-04-2012 at 04:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
borabora
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKG View Post
The clinking noise you hear after driving the car is from the metal shafts contracting on the rotors. If you look at the rotors you will see the shafts connecting to the wheel hub and a gap between the two. This is designed to account for thermal contraction. I remember one of the M videos or interviews talking about the clinking sound.
thanks for the info , i too thought it sounds like some metal parts contracting but i didn't know which ones . now i know . thanks !
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

Good to know! Thx guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKG View Post
The clinking noise you hear after driving the car is from the metal shafts contracting on the rotors. If you look at the rotors you will see the shafts connecting to the wheel hub and a gap between the two. This is designed to allow for thermal expansion. I remember one of the M videos or interviews talking about the clinking sound.
Good to know. I get the same sound going up and down 10 floors in a condo garage, at very low speeds, sharp turns. Almost sounds like a FWD car in need of new CV joints! LOL
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
Hey, has anyone noticed at low speeds, particularly when you turn the wheel a bit of a clinking noise like pebbles are rustling around in the rotors or the wheels? I'm guessing it's the pebbles they put on the roads here for the ice, which are getting into the cross drilled rotors? Annoying.
Yes, I have had that happen and it is exactly that, pebbles get stuck between the dust shield and the rotor. I had it happen in the rear.

It is very different from the cooling down clinking that everyone is referring too. It could damage your rotor.

I have not had it happen in the front only the rear.

Figure out which side it's on. Jack up the car and with a long wooden or plastic handle (so you don't scratch your wheels) strike the bottom of the brake shield enough to push it away about 1/4 inch. It will flex a bit and you should hear the gravel fall out on the wheel. At first I just pushed gently away and nothing came out, you have to hit it and push to jar the pebble loose. I think we hit it about three times before the pebble, the size of a BB fell out.

As always when troubleshooting you go for the most obvious thing and the normal brake clinking that everyone is referring to IS the most common issue so I'm not saying anyone is wrong here, I have just had the misfortune of having the same problem and that is how we solved it. Good luck and keep us informed in case it is something different.

Last edited by nachob; 03-04-2012 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob
Quote:
Yes, I have had that happen and it is exactly that, pebbles get stuck between the dust shield and the rotor. I had it happen in the rear.

It is very different from the cooling down clinking that everyone is referring too. It could damage your rotor.

Figure out which side it's on. Jack up the car and with a long wooden or plastic handle (so you don't scratch your wheels) strike the bottom of the brake shield enough to push it away about 1/4 inch. It will flex a bit and you should hear the gravel fall out on the wheel. At first I just pushed gently away and nothing came out, you have to hit it and push to jar the pebble loose. I think we hit it about three times before the pebble, the size of a BB fell out.

As always when troubleshooting you go for the most obvious thing and the normal brake clinking that everyone is referring to IS the most common issue so I'm not saying anyone is wrong here, I have just had the misfortune of having the same problem and that is how we solved it. Good luck and keep us informed in case it is something different.
I'll try that out. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Tamara
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Unhappy clinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

As always when troubleshooting you go for the most obvious thing and the normal brake clinking that everyone is referring to IS the most common issue so I'm not saying anyone is wrong here, I have just had the misfortune of having the same problem and that is howwe solved it. Good luck and keep us informed in case it is something different.
Thanks for this advice as this happens to me on a fairly regular basis. Always passenger side rear, to the extent I have to avoid gravel drives (not always possible) They do manage to drop out of their own accord or by driving backwards and forwards slowly as not always easy to stop and jack the car up! I was thinking of taking back to the dealer but seems its something one has to live with
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:43 AM   #11
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Good to know this I thought I was crazy lol. It only happens when I really get on the brakes and therefore they get warm.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

YES!
Of course... this was after a day of autocrossing on a course with a LOT of gravel.. but YES.. i definitely have this.. seems like they are caught and hitting the backing plate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

I am definitely going to need to do this.. thanks Nacho...

wish I had seen this before I put my stock wheels back on at the course..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Yes, I had this happen at the autocross after exiting the course and kicking up dirt. Hope it helped!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
yemski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 1M Coupe  [0.00]
reviving an old thread, I started noticing this clinking sound when backing up or moving forward slowly, kind of sounds like a tin can and was wondering if this is the same sound. It's pretty loud and sounds like a tin can being kicked around.
Had a friend look and it is coming from the driver side rear wheel. I'm assuming it is pebbles caught behind the dust shields. Just wanted to confirm with others who have experienced it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

Yeah, had to move them around. They were apparently warped, probably by driving in the snow. All fixed.
Appreciate 0