BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #45
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
my R56 mini was a handful because of the torque steer, it scared my wife, she does not have a problem with my 135i though, as it does not try to steer for you
For those of you who thinks mini has torque steer, you haven't driven enough FWD vehicles out there....

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #46
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
For those of you who thinks mini has torque steer, you haven't driven enough FWD vehicles out there....
I had an LSD in mine, and in a straight line it would try to yank the wheel out of my hands, any imperfection in the road made it even worse
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #47
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

No panic. Mercedes and Audi have FWD, so why not BMW? In fact they already have one FWD, and it is the best of all FWD cars (with Renault Clio RS). What they are thinking about is just about putting a BMW badge on the Mini, to sell even more and so build for us the enthusiasts other cars such as Z2 or 8 Series. Just for you to know, here in EU it is so: FWD>RWD>AWD (in amount).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #48
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
I doubt very much the CEO is lying. It makes sense, I am sure most BMW drivers purchased the car for image and likely have no idea about the drivetrain. The majority of Acura owners thought their 'competitor to BMW' was RWD.

No LSD...FWD...the world is ending!!!

If you think that "statistic" is true, find just one person that BMW even asked... There's no magic list of folk who do not participate in boards.

I follow most of 1 series boards (auf Englisch und auch auf Deutsch), and those that have a thread about it think it's BS. I agree.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #49
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
I had an LSD in mine, and in a straight line it would try to yank the wheel out of my hands, any imperfection in the road made it even worse
lol. I was in mini community for a long time.. but it seems like you just need to work-out more if mini's torque steer(or since you have mechanical LSD, it is commonly known as anti-torque steer) is enough to yank the wheel out of your hands.

but yes, MCS or JCW with LSD models are prone to this problem. A reason why 2009 JCW + minis no longer have mechanical LSDs.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #50
jbasedow30
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '09 135i Coupe

my guess is that the fwd will take over the 1 series nomenclature while the RWD performance variants will become the 2 series. Probably why the new m based on the current 1 series will be the M2.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #51
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

So BMW is turning into Acura.....Just perfect.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #52
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

⅞28i, anybody?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #53
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

I am an ordinary driver and can't tell difference between fwd or rwd. I consider fwd is more stable in turn. No doubt, if you live in snow, then fwd will be better choice. Mercedes and BMW are very conservative companies moving slow from old era rwd to new era fwd. It is obvious wheels which do turn should move a car. It is waste of energy when wheels move a car straight, but you try to turn.
      05-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #54
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontyouwishyouwereme View Post
So BMW is turning into Acura.....Just perfect.
Audi FTW in that situation. In an ironic twist of fate, some of the cars coming through GM and Chrysler over the next few years should shock many Euro and Japanese fanboys. They are not the same companies as even a few years ago. If BMWs get porkier and less engaging to drive, give it a couple years, but the RWD offerings from some domestics may be worth a look.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 07:30 AM   #55
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
It is obvious wheels which do turn should move a car. It is waste of energy when wheels move a car straight, but you try to turn.
Wow--this is so wrong I barely know how to begin (no offense!). The reason you believe FWD is more stable in turns is the understeer you're feeling--due to the front wheels trying to turn and drive at the same time, the car tends to "push" in corners. This is generally not ideal for performance driving, and is why it takes a fair amount of engineering prowess and complex suspension design to make a good handling FWD car. By requiring the same wheels to perform two tasks, neither can be done ideally, and there is a natural compromise.

Each platform has its benefits, but there is a reason that most sports/high-performance cars are RWD. That being said, FWD has its merits, and I'm glad BMW is introducing it at the entry level--I would certainly consider a FWD BMW as an alternative to our GTI (which I love).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #56
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM3 View Post
U must be high every time u post something in this forum

first u claim most european cars are rwd - where in gods name did u get that impression...now that u cant tell rwd from fwd???
it doesnt take a professional pilot to feel the difference...im not one for sure but i have driven some before...a friends A4 great build the clutch had 100000km felt like new...drove it...hated it.
I wouldn't get to worked up. He's either completely joking or beyond ignorant when it comes to cars and engineering. If that's the case, he should stick to his Camry and be content with his ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #57
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

0.5 series...

I just don't get the idea of BMW encroaching on Mini's market-share. Expand the Mini lineup, don't encroach on it...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #58
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

I wonder if BMW will take the current 1 series philosophy (small, RWD cars) and change the nomenclature to "2 series" for the next generation. Then they can make the next gen 1 series FWD without causing any confusion to their customers.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #59
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
0.5 series...

I just don't get the idea of BMW encroaching on Mini's market-share. Expand the Mini lineup, don't encroach on it...
I think MINI's really have very limited appeal, and if BMW wants a piece of the compact premium or hot hatch markets, they're going to have to expand the BMW brand to include such concepts. To me, MINI seems like a one trick pony, and I'd bet a lot more consumers would be willing to fork over a premium for a "baby" BMW hatch than anything with a MINI badge on it. Personally, I already find the MINI brand to be quite stale, and introducing something like the Clubman, a three-door variant, just seems like a desperate attempt to continue cashing in on a waning fad.

VAG has shown that people will pay a little extra for a German-engineered, well-handling FWD compact car, and in fact they've grown into a behemoth of a company making such cars - BMW would be crazy to ignore this market, but the basic architecture of the platform precludes incorporating RWD. So what else is BMW to do but offer the consumers they're trying to court what they want? Companies adapt or they die, plain and simple. And, at the end of the day, what do any of you really care if the company you bought your RWD car from also makes and sells entry-level FWD cars?
      05-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #60
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

1-series available as FWD. okay. I don't like it but I get it.

1-series available as RWD. Hurray.

1-series available a FWD or RWD with each having their own style and platform? Ridiculous. I would love to see the marketing and sales people to explain how this is going to work. What's next? A new city car called the 715i to take advantage of the 7-series name?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #61
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Guys come on, think about this, think about BMW's history, and think about what BMW is supposed to be, and a FWD car DOES NOT meet those expectations, not to mention that render was FUGLY.

Some aspects of the future are cool, but this is certainly not one of them.
Appreciate 0