BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOACAD View Post
280, not to bad of a price actually. Might just go that route when I start to order everything before I get back.

Im figuring that these will be a better thing to do at the of the coilovers than the front M bits. Will probably hold off on those and do those down the road instead of in the post deployment spending spree.
What Im wondering also what is better to do first spring/shocks or bushings?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #24
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
What Im wondering also what is better to do first spring/shocks or bushings?
Rimas,

Just from driving the car a bit ago I can say that the subframe bushings make a HUGE difference on the rear end. Gone is the wiggly feeling when I used to punch it hard or slam on the brakes. You jump on it from a rolling second gear and the car sits and does not wiggle around like before.

I can't wait to get it on the track and try it there.
      01-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #25
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
Rimas,

Just from driving the car a bit ago I can say that the subframe bushings make a HUGE difference on the rear end. Gone is the wiggly feeling when I used to punch it hard or slam on the brakes. You jump on it from a rolling second gear and the car sits and does not wiggle around like before.

I can't wait to get it on the track and try it there.
Thanks for review... Congrats with new drive feeling

Do you have other suspension mods.
What do you think what should I do first shocks/springs or bushings?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
That_1_Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Eibach Pro Kit is what Nick runs. I run the springs and like them a lot.
Sold 2011 BMW 135i - COBB V2 AP / VMR 710's / 4" AR Catless DP / BMS Intake w/ Air Scoops / Eibach Pro Kit / MadDad Street Series Axle Back / ER Charge Pipe / BMS OCC / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Sammich Sticker
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #27
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_1_Guy View Post
Eibach Pro Kit is what Nick runs. I run the springs and like them a lot.
Eibach pro kit those are just springs or inlcudes dampers also.

I would like to go Bilstein B12 Pro kit which goes with Eibach springs
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #28
That_1_Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Not a bad choice. If you buy the whole pro kit, it comes with dampeners, as well as front and rear sway bar.
Sold 2011 BMW 135i - COBB V2 AP / VMR 710's / 4" AR Catless DP / BMS Intake w/ Air Scoops / Eibach Pro Kit / MadDad Street Series Axle Back / ER Charge Pipe / BMS OCC / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Sammich Sticker
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #29
That_1_Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Eibach that is****
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #30
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for review... Congrats with new drive feeling

Do you have other suspension mods.
I have the following for my suspension setup:

Eibach Pro-Kit Springs and dampers/rear sway bar
UUC adjustable front sway bar with adjustable end links
Vorshlag front Camber/Caster plates
M3 Strut tower brace conversion
And now the M3 Subframe bushings.

Springs and dampers are the easiest (and I MEAN IT!!!) upgrade to do. With coilovers you have the ability to adjust the ride height on the car much better than having the setup I have. If you just want to have a decent drop and a bit better handling, I would just suggest springs (like Eibach, H&R, BMW Performance).

Now, if you plan to take the car to the track alot or occaisionaly, I would suggest that you really do your research well and select a suspension that will deliver what you want from it. In my decision on going with the Eibach, one big thing I did not want was the staggering low from that H&R springs give and aslo wanted a good balance between daily driving with the handling ability in the track. I felt that with the Eibach / Vorshlag setup I attained that and now with the bushings installed I am looking very forward to the track when the weather gets better.

Edit: Bilstein makes an excellent setup and If I wouldn't have gone with the Eibach, that would have been my choice. I ran Bilstein Sport Dampers on my old E30 and loved them.
      01-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #31
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_1_Guy View Post
Not a bad choice. If you buy the whole pro kit, it comes with dampeners, as well as front and rear sway bar.
No actually b12 comes w/o sway bars for sure
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #32
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
I have the following for my suspension setup:

Eibach Pro-Kit Springs and dampers/rear sway bar
UUC adjustable front sway bar with adjustable end links
Vorshlag front Camber/Caster plates
M3 Strut tower brace conversion
And now the M3 Subframe bushings.

Springs and dampers are the easiest (and I MEAN IT!!!) upgrade to do. With coilovers you have the ability to adjust the ride height on the car much better than having the setup I have. If you just want to have a decent drop and a bit better handling, I would just suggest springs (like Eibach, H&R, BMW Performance).

Now, if you plan to take the car to the track alot or occaisionaly, I would suggest that you really do your research well and select a suspension that will deliver what you want from it. In my decision on going with the Eibach, one big thing I did not want was the staggering low from that H&R springs give and aslo wanted a good balance between daily driving with the handling ability in the track. I felt that with the Eibach / Vorshlag setup I attained that and now with the bushings installed I am looking very forward to the track when the weather gets better.

Edit: Bilstein makes an excellent setup and If I wouldn't have gone with the Eibach, that would have been my choice. I ran Bilstein Sport Dampers on my old E30 and loved them.
Thanks for sharing... Well you have a lot of upgrades on your suspension which needs to be set to correct settings this requires time for research.

My choice would be also something between track and DD so I'm planning to do front M wishbones, front M sway, rear M bushings, rear Xdrive sway (which is 15mm instead our 12mm) don't want M sway because I think it can be to thick for our short wheel base and happy tail , rear M rods + Bilstein B12 pro kit.
But this is my wish list so it is still future

With your suspension mods what is the weakest point of your e82? I mean unexpected oversteer, understeer, jumping away from track on turn, or something else specific?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #33
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for sharing... Well you have a lot of upgrades on your suspension which needs to be set to correct settings this requires time for research.

My choice would be also something between track and DD so I'm planning to do front M wishbones, front M sway, rear M bushings, rear Xdrive sway (which is 15mm instead our 12mm) don't want M sway because I think it can be to thick for our short wheel base and happy tail , rear M rods + Bilstein B12 pro kit.
But this is my wish list so it is still future

With your suspension mods what is the weakest point of your e82? I mean unexpected oversteer, understeer, jumping away from track on turn, or something else specific?
I think at the time, my weakest point was my rear subframe bushings. On the track under hard braking I would get "tail happy" and it really bothered me because I did not want to get sideways going into a turn and lose it. With the setup I have I was able to eliminate most of the under/oversteer that was known for our cars and also keep more of a level balance front to rear.

I am still on the fence for coilovers but those I know will eventually come someday. Right now I am very satisfied with what i've done with the suspension.