BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #1
bp05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Vert

Adjust window higher - wind leak

E88 - Vert

My driver side door is sits about 1/4" too low, just before the lip of the roof seal. When looking at it out side, it does not seal correctly.

It has been VICIOUSLY windy in my area as of late, and while on the freeway, I could see the window actually being lifted out.

I did do a search, and found out that I need to adjust the whole window (opening door panel, etc).

For example, look for SayHack's post here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224511

However, there is no real Didi notice answer on how the windows get adjusted higher.

I already also looked at this DIY regulator replacement (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880902), but there is still nothing definitive on what to loosen and adjust the window height.

Any info would be great!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
bp05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here are two pictures is the misalignment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would bet there are some access plugs on the bottom of the door. Try removing those plugs and using an e12 socket on the window track adjusters. Just a guess though. Use a set of inverted torx (e)screw drivers and not a socket! You don't want a socket to fall off inside the door.

I think something like this would work... (again, it would better win a solid one peice design like a screw driver. But here is the e12 socket
https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-957...regulator+tool
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

IIRC, for an E82/8 you need to remove the trim strip on the outside of the door, at the top. It just pulls up, be careful not to bend it (a plastic bone tool is recommended with painter's tape to protect the paint). There should be two spokes down there to assist with window alignment. BMW makes a special tool for this adjustment.

It's not easy to get a clunk, water, and wind leak free alignment. I suggest you take it to the dealership or an experienced BMW technician.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:53 PM   #5
bp05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
IIRC, for an E82/8 you need to remove the trim strip on the outside of the door, at the top. It just pulls up, be careful not to bend it (a plastic bone tool is recommended with painter's tape to protect the paint). There should be two spokes down there to assist with window alignment. BMW makes a special tool for this adjustment.

It's not easy to get a clunk, water, and wind leak free alignment. I suggest you take it to the dealership or an experienced BMW technician.
Thanks for the info.

I know that there won't be a perfect seal, but as you can see from the pictures, it's way off.

It's so off that the wind was able to pull the corner of the window open and flap the glass.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 12:10 AM   #6
bp05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I would bet there are some access plugs on the bottom of the door. Try removing those plugs and using an e12 socket on the window track adjusters. Just a guess though. Use a set of inverted torx (e)screw drivers and not a socket! You don't want a socket to fall off inside the door.

I think something like this would work... (again, it would better win a solid one peice design like a screw driver. But here is the e12 socket
https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-957...regulator+tool
Are talking about this access plug? This is under side of the door frame.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0