BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Winter driving

A lot of people never drive their sports cars in the winter. Personally, if it's dry out and there is not too much salt around I am happy to drive mine.

Is there any reason why one should not drive a car in the winter, salt and snow hell we call a reality?

I know the car is built and designed to handle water, snow, ice and salt. But are there any long term affects? Short term affects? Anything that will impact future ownership and cause premature wear?

Realistically I would want 10-14 years of ownership from my rig.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
But are there any long term affects? Short term affects? Anything that will impact future ownership and cause premature wear?
Yeah, the moron fast approaching your ass in his shitbox during a storm with summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Winter is harsh on your paint if you don't wash it frequently. If you are good at detailing, it's nothing you can't tackle in Spring.

Otherwise, most are worried about rust. Salt = corrosion. No one likes that brown cancer.
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i didn't pay all this money to park it and save it for 20 years from now.

i bought it to drive and enjoy. i will be driving mine in rain, snow, ice, fog, sun, whatever......life is too short to be paranoid about the paint finish to a degree that it just gets parked. these cars were meant to be driven.....

i'm not a collector or a connoisseur...i'm just a man who wants to drive something enjoyable all year-round. that's why i bought the best winter tires i could (Hakkapeliitta R2s) and mounted some M3 18s on it.....ready for action!

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI

i bought it to drive and enjoy. i will be driving mine in rain, snow, ice, fog, sun, whatever......life is too short to be paranoid about the paint finish to a degree that it just gets parked. these cars were meant to be driven.....

i'm not a collector or a connoisseur...i'm just a man who wants to drive something enjoyable all year-round. that's why i bought the best winter tires i could (Hakkapeliitta R2s) and mounted some M3 18s on it.....ready for action!

I wish i had $5 for everytime you made a post like this.
      12-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
I wish i had $5 for everytime you made a post like this.
well people don't say it enough.....sorry to say. i'm pretty tired of the car culture that promotes paranoia and worship of metal objects; the reality is that driving is the most enjoyable part of ownership.....not worrying! i am merely spreading the gospel of purity.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
well people don't say it enough.....sorry to say. i'm pretty tired of the car culture that promotes paranoia and worship of metal objects; the reality is that driving is the most enjoyable part of ownership.....not worrying! i am merely spreading the gospel of purity.
Well put.

I'm getting my R2's on 18s this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Looks great...

I never get tired of these pics!!

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 05:12 AM   #9
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan
Quote:
Well put.

I'm getting my R2's on 18s this weekend.
good choice man! these tires are wicked in the snow....they are a bit soft in the dry and warmer temps....but sooo worth it when the white stuff is down....and very good at stopping in colder temps.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #10
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I'm just waiting for snow like last year

225/45 18 square setup, 15mm spacers at the back. I'm ready for it and so is polarbear baby.

wintertyres + rwd and a proper lsd= HEAVEN

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Nice to see all these 1M's out in the snow and not garage queens!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I'm just waiting for snow like last year

225/45 18 square setup, 15mm spacers at the back. I'm ready for it and so is polarbear baby.

wintertyres + rwd and a proper lsd= HEAVEN

Cheers
Robin
How will the snow and salt affect this car in 10-years time?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #13
1M SUSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 //1M Alpine White

Quote:

Your my garage queen hero!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #14
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
The same as any other BMW after 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
I respect your choice, but if we could all stop ranting about people who don't drive their car in the winter that would be great!

Personally, the 1M isn't capable for what I need out of a winter vehicle based on my location and activities

As the OP said, yes the car is designed to be ABLE to handle some limited snow...but it certainly wasn't the main priority. I am thankful to live in a state that uses sand instead of salt in the winters. While this is bad for paint chips and windshields it saves from a LOT of rust issues. My car won't see snow, and certainly wouldn't see salt if I lived in such an area.

To each their own.

My winter 'beater' in front of the Maroon Bells...before I modified the heck out of it...:
Attached Images

12-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #16
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM3 View Post
I respect your choice, but if we could all stop ranting about people who don't drive their car in the winter that would be great!

Personally, the 1M isn't capable for what I need out of a winter vehicle based on my location and activities

As the OP said, yes the car is designed to be ABLE to handle some limited snow...but it certainly wasn't the main priority. I am thankful to live in a state that uses sand instead of salt in the winters. While this is bad for paint chips and windshields it saves from a LOT of rust issues. My car won't see snow, and certainly wouldn't see salt if I lived in such an area.

To each their own.

My winter 'beater' in front of the Maroon Bells...before I modified the heck out of it...:
if you're going to buy something TOTALLY different like a truck and live in the mountains.....fine, i get it. But i've never understood the 'enthusiast' who goes and buys what they really want (a porsche 911, a BMW M, whatever) and then decides those cars are somehow too good to ever be driven and then buys a boring FWD beater to somehow spare the car for winter use. My feeling is that (A) those FWD cars will be OK, but not that much better than the original car with winter tires and (B) life is too short to worry so much about salt, weather, etc. RWD cars are not 'brilliant' in snow, but are more than adequate with the right tires.

Salt? nah not a concern of mine. Enjoyment? totally a concern of mine!

mind you----"living for today" requires some DEEP sacrifice. That consists of "ignorance for tomorrow". Believe me.....many, many people are not able to prevent worries for tomorrow. They consume us.....i'm not going to live like that anymore. That's how i can blissfully ignore the 'salt fear'

btw, i'm not telling anybody what to do. I'm just injecting my opinions into the 'culture' of this forum, as i used to do on my now-dead blog.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #17
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
^^^ Well said. Cheers!

I'm really excited for winter too...This was probably the best day of skiing I've ever had as the smiles on my friends' faces can attest. See what fell while the lifts were spinning on my truck in the background. I like big dumps and I cannot lie...
Attached Images

12-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #18
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Quote:

Cheers!

I can't wait for more snow!

🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #19
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

No real snow up here except a freak overnight a week ago, so I'm going all-seasons on 18" to save some money (extra $160 for a set of PA4s and probably less fun on dry/wet roads with no snow). Yeah I'm driving it every weekend of the year plus whenever I need the car during the week. Just need to be less lazy and actually wash it more often that's all
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #20
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It will melt the outer shell, leaving nothing but the chassis and four perfect Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #21
Les Grossman
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

This an interesting topic for me.

On the one hand I cherish my 1M and wish to keep it in pristine condition with as little mileage as is reasonably possible. On the other, I'm always telling myself that it needs driving.

I'm not really bothered about salt and dirt. Mine is currently filthy but it'll buff up ok. Body integrity will be the same as any other 1 series coupe. It's not gonna fall apart if it sees a harsh winter.

Personally I feel privileged that I have the CHOICE to use it during the winter
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 04:11 AM   #22
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Not. Afterwards I always clean it thoroughly and no driving=in my garage.

We are talking about modern cars, not about cars made of salt/sugar
Think about 100,000s of cars in winterconditions outside driving on this planet(N Eu, Russia, Canada etc)
What about those cars?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0