BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Gladen ONE 200, 3-way speaker PNP

Haven't heard much about it, but looks interesting. Appears to be a true plug and play for E60, E82, and E9x (at least from a speaker replacement perspective).

Looking toward the end of the page at http://www.gladen.com/compo_coax.html...
  • Plug & Play 3-way System for BMW 1, 3 and 5 series
  • Semi-active System
  • 25 mm silk dome tweeter
  • 4” shallow midrange
  • 8” shallow woofer
  • 4 ohm impedance
  • 4 channel amplifier required

Some additional information is available at http://www.highdesertme.com/?p=704
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

This is similar to the offering from Audio Systems, probably a higher end version since they appear to have the same parent company.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

They are the same. It does NOT fit the E92 or E93. We use the woofers. After testing, we do not use the mid/tweeter kit. I think they are designed for off-axis mounting of the tweeter with a hole blown into the tweeter sail, as on-axis, they are either raspy or too muted. Actually, with all the crossover's tweeter attenuation in place, and the treble turned up one click short of maximum, it sounds pretty good.

Kit requires bi-amping and an electronic crossover from the 8 to the 4.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Oh, and it doesn't plug in at all. It's a bolt in, but NOT a plug-and-play.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
wow...the Gladen Hq & main installation location is minutes from mein haus.
      03-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I have an inquiry in to see if they changed the midrange, they used to not fit the E92/3, but they now list them, so I am asking...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

I'll have to add these underseat woofers to my possible choices.
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Wish I could have heard the Gladens (or the Kicker/SWS/Morel options for that matter) when making my selection. That said, I've been pretty happy with the Jehnerts, and would have no problem recommending them.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Oh, and it doesn't plug in at all. It's a bolt in, but NOT a plug-and-play.
Is the Audio Systems underseat woofer plug and play? That would differentiate it, even if it's a small step down in audio quality.
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

It is PnP if you get it from musicarnw. Purchased a set from Ken last week, not on par with the Jehnerts, but s/b better than the SWS8.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Due to fiscal constraints, I'm looking at a used pair of the Audio System underseat woofers. How would you characterize the difference between them and the Jehnerts? Maybe I should wait and continue using the OEM (hifi) underseat woofers until I can afford to do it right.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

My car came with HiFi. I find the lower bass better with the A/S woofers. They won't sound as good when you play really loud as the Jehnert or the SWS, but they are a definite sonic improvement over the HiFi woofers.

They sound better than they look (in that they do NOT look impressive when you take them out of the box : )
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Old thread, but how is this not a plug n play? The connectors, fitting or does it need spacers etc?
      08-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #14
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Old thread, but how is this not a plug n play? The connectors, fitting or does it need spacers etc?
Since I just installed some of these woofers this weekend, I can answer about those: It is the raw speaker connections, like what you would solder wire to, that you get, not the nice "snap in connector" that BMW uses on their own speakers.

Of course, I *also* bought the wiring harness that musicarnw (VP Electricity) sells, and THEN it is plug and play.

And they sound nice.

I'm crossing them over about 175hz to the doors, which are Morel Hybrid Ovations, all powered by JL Audio amp.

Using pink noise and a RTA, just tweaking the crossover and the relative levels, it's a nice step up.

Disclosure: Made even better when I used the old JLAUDIO iphone amp and test signals from Studio Six to check speaker polarity. Somewhere, I got my red and black confused, and the app helped me find that. (And both the rear deck OEM speakers, which are still too loud even when the JL Audio amp is at its lowest gain setting for them, were in phase with one another but nothing else in the car, so I fixed that too, while in there.)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #15
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato-main-man-5am View Post
Since I just installed some of these woofers this weekend, I can answer about those: It is the raw speaker connections, like what you would solder wire to, that you get, not the nice "snap in connector" that BMW uses on their own speakers.

Of course, I *also* bought the wiring harness that musicarnw (VP Electricity) sells, and THEN it is plug and play.

And they sound nice.

I'm crossing them over about 175hz to the doors, which are Morel Hybrid Ovations, all powered by JL Audio amp.

Using pink noise and a RTA, just tweaking the crossover and the relative levels, it's a nice step up.

Disclosure: Made even better when I used the old JLAUDIO iphone amp and test signals from Studio Six to check speaker polarity. Somewhere, I got my red and black confused, and the app helped me find that. (And both the rear deck OEM speakers, which are still too loud even when the JL Audio amp is at its lowest gain setting for them, were in phase with one another but nothing else in the car, so I fixed that too, while in there.)
We don't sell harnesses, so I think that you might be mistaken. We don't ship any woofer harnesses, or speaker harnesses, without them being attached to the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
We don't sell harnesses, so I think that you might be mistaken. We don't ship any woofer harnesses, or speaker harnesses, without them being attached to the speakers.
Got 'em with the speakers from a fellow 1-er. Recognize the handwriting? :-) They were the reason I got the speakers, knowing it would greatly reduce the hassle factor of installing them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #17
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Oh, so you bought some speakers and they came with adapters! Got it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #18
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Bingo. But honestly, the cool part of the deal was the adapters.

(Which isn't to say the speakers aren't good, too.)
Appreciate 0