E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wax/ Polish - What I just did...

12-21-2005, 08:07 AM   #1
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Wax/ Polish - What I just did...

I am posting this here to get more replies:

A while ago I posted I bought some new products:
wax, polish, clay bar etc...

Well...today I used them. I washed the car and dried it and then parked it in my garage. I used the clay bar and quick detailer on the bonnet and then I waxed it all with Meguiars products. I haven't done the rest of the car yet, as I was just testing it...to see that I am not making swirls or anything with my inexperience.

My question is: What is the difference between wax and polish?
I usually use a car polish, which you put on let dry and then buff off. It's significantly harder to get off than the wax...so if I am doing the whole car, the wax would be so much easier! What's the difference?

My next question is about clay: Am I supposed to clay the whole car or just the places where there are imperfections?? The box says spray the detailer on, then work in squares, refolding the wax in on itself each square to ensure you don't scratch the finish...any other tips?

Question 3: Can I use the quick detailer for anything else? It seems very usefull - i used it today to touch up on some "marks" that were left after I dried the car. What is it really for?

The front end of the car now feels silky smooth and is more shiny then when the car was new...I'm really impressed!!! Maybe I can get someone to buy me Zanino seeing as most poeple say it's even better!

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Polish will "bond" with the paint. Wax sits on top of the paint. Polish will help smooth over fine scratches in the clear coat.

Always apply polish before waxing.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
AFAIK, a wax is basically a layer that sits on 'on top' of the cars' surface and acts as a protectant. A polish on the other hand is used in varying degrees to remove surface imperfections (such as swirls, or small scratches). Hand polishing can usually remove light imperfections, but for deeper scratches, marks, or imperfections a machine polish (or even machine cut & polish) is the way to go.

Normally I just wash my car, but 2 or 3 times per year I give it a detail. I'm really not into the whole clay bar or machine polish thing (if the car needs it, I'll take it to a detailer) so I just wash, then polish to remove any surface nasties, then wax to give it protection until the next time I detail.

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 08:23 AM   #4
darkside
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335

First, the clay removes contaminants from the paint. If after washing you can run your finger over the paint and it is very smooth and slick then you may not need to clay prior to polishing and waxing. To clay you need a lubricant such as a quick detailer which you spray liberally on the small area you are claying. Or you can use a wash solution in a spray bottle as a lubricant which is much less expensive and works just as well. You should clay the whole car going back and forth in the longitudinal direction. After claying many will wash the car again prior to polishing. The polish removes fine imperfections such as swirl marks etc. I use a Porter Cable dual action polisher to apply and work the polish, but many polishes can be applied by hand as well.The last stage product is the wax or sealant. It really is all in the prep. If the preparation is good enough almost any wax or sealant will look great.

To learn about detailing visit autopia.org and click on the learn section up on the top. It will instruct you on everything you want or don't want to know about auto detailing. But beware as it may be habit forming and THERE IS NO CURE!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 08:30 AM   #5
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Various polishes remove imperfections and wax protects the finish.

When I clay, I do the entire car paying close attention to the hood, roof, trunk lid, rear bumper cover, and the rear fenders.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Clay makes the biggest difference when your car is contaminated. Since your 3 is "new", you won't be removing that much, but you will still notice a difference. I clay 2x a year and it keeps the finish silky smooth. It's cool to see it take off little rust spots on a white car. Meguiars is a good product, and they usually last a while. Good luck! And I know this is Broken1, but did you get your car fixed yet (vibration thingy or something)?

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 11:15 AM   #7
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90driver
Clay makes the biggest difference when your car is contaminated. Since your 3 is "new", you won't be removing that much, but you will still notice a difference. I clay 2x a year and it keeps the finish silky smooth. It's cool to see it take off little rust spots on a white car. Meguiars is a good product, and they usually last a while. Good luck! And I know this is Broken1, but did you get your car fixed yet (vibration thingy or something)?
Yea, it got fixed the monday after I posted. I followed up in that thread :-) Fixed under warranty, good as new...and they didn't even dirty my interior!!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
I don't know how some of you have the patience for all that. Ahh, to be young again.

The most I can be bothered doing myself is a hand polish/wax every 4-6 months. For the rest, I take it to a detailer after 18 months to have the experts make it look like new again, and then I take it back just before I sell it (usually in another 18 - 20 months).

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 11:47 AM   #9
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Then there's the zaino *polish* that doesn't remove imperfections(clay bar will do that) and replaces the need for wax...

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #10
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
I am posting this here to get more replies:

A while ago I posted I bought some new products:
wax, polish, clay bar etc...

Well...today I used them. I washed the car and dried it and then parked it in my garage. I used the clay bar and quick detailer on the bonnet and then I waxed it all with Meguiars products. I haven't done the rest of the car yet, as I was just testing it...to see that I am not making swirls or anything with my inexperience.

My question is: What is the difference between wax and polish?

A POLISH HAS ABRASIVES THAT WILL REMOVE SWIRL MARKS (AKA FINE SCRATCHES) IN THE CLEAR COAT. THERE ARE DIFFERENT LEVELS OF ABRASIVE POLISHES, WITH THE HEAVIER DUTY ONES USED FOR SEVERE SWIRLS AND THE LESSER ONES USED TO BRING OUT PRIOR TO WAXING TO BRING OUT THE FULL GLOSS IN THE PAINT. ALSO, POLISHES HAVE NO PROTECTIVE QUALITIES.

I usually use a car polish, which you put on let dry and then buff off.

DON'T LET THE POLISH DRY. WORK IT INTO THE PAINT IN 2X2 SECTIONS UNTIL IT STARTS TO HAZE, THEN REMOVE THE RESIDE WITH A QUALITY TOWEL.

It's significantly harder to get off than the wax...so if I am doing the whole car, the wax would be so much easier! What's the difference?

A WAX IS JUST FOR PROTECTION, AND DEPENDING ON THE WAX, THEN IT NEEDS TO BE APPLIED AND LEFT TO HAZE (AKA DRY) BEFORE BEING REMOVED. IT'S INTENDED TO BE USED THIS WAY WHEREAS THE POLISH ISN'T, HENCE THE DIFFERENCES IN DIFFICULTY OF REMOVAL YOU HAVE OBSERVED.

My next question is about clay: Am I supposed to clay the whole car or just the places where there are imperfections?? The box says spray the detailer on, then work in squares, refolding the wax in on itself each square to ensure you don't scratch the finish...any other tips?

I WOULD CLAY THE WHOLE CAR, EVENTHOUGH IT IS BRAND NEW. CLAYING WILL REMOVE EMBEDDED CONTAMINATION THAT WASHING ALONE CANNOT. AS A SIDE NOTE, CLAYING WILL NOT REMOVE SWIRL MARKS.

SEE MY CLAYING TECHNIQUE IN THIS POST FOR MORE INFORMATION

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9145

Question 3: Can I use the quick detailer for anything else? It seems very usefull - i used it today to touch up on some "marks" that were left after I dried the car. What is it really for?

QUICK DETAILERS CAN BE USED FOR MANY THINGS; AS A CLAY LUBRICANT, TO REMOVE BIRD BOMBS, AS A MEANS TO SPRUCE UP THE CAR AFTER WASHING. THEY ARE MOSTLY INTENDED TO BE USED FOR MAINTENANCE BETWEEN WASHING.

The front end of the car now feels silky smooth and is more shiny then when the car was new...I'm really impressed!!! Maybe I can get someone to buy me Zanino seeing as most poeple say it's even better!

ZAINO MAKES A COMPLETE LINE OF PRODUCTS INCLUDING A SYNTHETIC WAX (AKA SEALANT), CLAY BAR, QUICK DETAILER, ABRQSIVE POLISH, ETC.

SEE MY STICKY THREAD IN WASH AND WAX FOR MORE DETAILING INFORMATION.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9145

I'll put answers inside the quote in CAPS.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 12:05 PM   #11
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Broken1, which polish did you use? A polish is usually designed to remove swirls,scratches and imperfections, so they need to be worked on the paint. Some "polishes" are not true polishers. You may also hear of wax vs sealant. Wax is the natural product, sealants are their synthetic counterparts.
This stuff can get confusing. I also recommend autopia.org if you are inclined to learn more. I'm not sure in spending the money on Zaino is worth it if you are satisfied with the results and plan on waxing every few months. If you do not plan on it regularly then Zaino would be worth it.
BTW, post some pictures of your results
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 12:08 PM   #12
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

crap, DavidN posted as I was replying and made some of the same points I did, except his post is much better than mine...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 12:27 PM   #13
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga-bmwdrvr
Broken1, which polish did you use? A polish is usually designed to remove swirls,scratches and imperfections, so they need to be worked on the paint. Some "polishes" are not true polishers. You may also hear of wax vs sealant. Wax is the natural product, sealants are their synthetic counterparts.
This stuff can get confusing. I also recommend autopia.org if you are inclined to learn more. I'm not sure in spending the money on Zaino is worth it if you are satisfied with the results and plan on waxing every few months. If you do not plan on it regularly then Zaino would be worth it.
BTW, post some pictures of your results
I'll try get a decent shot of the car tomorrow, it may be dirty again - seeing as I park outside, under a cover...and the black car attracts dust like theres no tomorrow.

It's just interesting, now I am getting more involved with my car that I am finding out new things.

I used to use the BMW Polish and another product called Titanium Protection - but it was such a mission getting the stuff off, even if I followed the directions. The Titanuim Protection polish claimed to "protect the paint" against even fire and acid, but after todays clay and wax...the car feels alot smoother, and looks alot shiner and the whole process was alot easier. So I don't really know. I don't have swirl marks on my car, possibly because I've polished it once every 2 months...but if i ever do I could polish again.

I enjoyed the results from todays work...makes me happy :-) My car is soooo smooth :-)

I must just buy some gloves, my hands don't like the products...I have excsema
Appreciate 0