BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Info/Guidelines/Laws Regarding Modifications

Following on from that Youi insurance thread regarding the 'roadworthiness' of a vehicle I did a little research and I've come across a bit of information from the RMS (NSW) and from the Department of Infrastruction and Transport regarding modifications of vehicles.

Vehicle Standards Information Sheets

VSI 6 - A Guide to Light Vehicle Modification

VSCCS Bulletin 1 - List of Certified Engineers

VSCCS Bulletin 2 - Means to Demonstrate Compliance with ADR3

VSB 14 - National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (NCOP)

The VSI sheets are guidelines from the RMS regarding modifications to vehicles. VSI 6 will be the one to read as it specifically refers to modifications to light vehicles.

The VSB14 bulletin/NCOP contains the specifics in regards to what and how engines, chassis, brakes, body modifications etc will be certified by licensed certifiers.

Enjoy.

Last edited by froop; 03-20-2014 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
Tit
Australia
Rep
Drives: 964C2 // 1M // R56JCW

oooh....4-point roll cages allowed!
      11-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Ed: annnd yet again, jut found out the laws changed very VERY recently, my bad, going to have to re-learn it all..

Honestly, imo, most laws to do with modifications are preettty fair (can't undersize brakes or wheels, can't go so low you'll damage the road etc.)

And almost everything else can be 'made legal' for a bit of $, which is apparently even easier to do now
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Good find, as I will now require to do some reading. NCOP was introduced 1/11/2012 - that's yesterday, and there will be a six months phase in period.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quick summary without digesting everything:

1. Exhaust now needs to be approved (as it is now an engine upgrade)
2. Suspension (shocks and springs) as long as it doesn't raise the drive height or lowered pass the limit no approval required provided it uses the same mounts.
3. Tuning needs to be approved
4. Cars equipped with traction control can't be modified unless we have evidence that the modification doesn't affect the system through testing. If it does we need to modify the traction control.
5. FMIC, larger radiator, charge pipe, dv/bov, dci/cai should all be basic mods without the need of approval.
6. Brakes as normal needs to be approved, but should be straight forward.
7. All engine mods (exhaust, turbo, etc) now needs to have both emission test and noise test conducted, except Queensland currently have an exemption on emission test due to no facilities.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz
Quick summary without digesting everything:

1. Exhaust now needs to be approved (as it is now an engine upgrade)
2. Suspension (shocks and springs) as long as it doesn't raise the drive height or lowered pass the limit no approval required provided it uses the same mounts.
3. Tuning needs to be approved
4. Cars equipped with traction control can't be modified unless we have evidence that the modification doesn't affect the system through testing. If it does we need to modify the traction control.
5. FMIC, larger radiator, charge pipe, dv/bov, dci/cai should all be basic mods without the need of approval.
6. Brakes as normal needs to be approved, but should be straight forward.
7. All engine mods (exhaust, turbo, etc) now needs to have both emission test and noise test conducted, except Queensland currently have an exemption on emission test due to no facilities.
Where's the ncop you're reading? I can only find the 1/jan/2012 one

All i can find on google is that a new ncop was coming 1/11/12, i just can't find it?

So confused

Or is it that qld adopted the 1/1/12 ncop as of 1/11/12 with a further 6mth cooling period?

Ed: sorry yeah i googled that and that's the case, i'll keep reading it in depth then, so far it's all pretty sensible and clearly explained

And on point 2-

So even if the suspension is CAPABLE of lowering below legal right height (still 100mm?), it's legal as long as it currently sits at a legal height?

7- is there any word on qld getting facilities? I quite like not having to get a basic (not too loud) exhaust mod plated

The traction control shouldn't be too worrying, as it seems to be generally fully functional still no matter what for 1ers yes?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I have just rung TMR in Queensland. All modifications done before the 30/4/2012 can be done using the old standard as long as you have got the receipt to prove it.

Unfortunately, that might mean that we have to carry our receipts around with us in the car. Ie, if you are going to put any exhaust in, you have got till 30/4 without need a certification.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 03:13 AM   #8
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Game Over.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Game Over.
You could pass an (emissions) test with a low boost e85 tune couldn't you?

Or are catalyst removals totally no-no non-engineerable?
...seems fully not legal, well that sucks a whole bunch.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #10
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM e82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
You could pass an (emissions) test with a low boost e85 tune couldn't you?

Or are catalyst removals totally no-no non-engineerable?
...seems fully not legal, well that sucks a whole bunch.
My understanding was catalyst removal was a massive no-no
Although it's frequently done, there are few engineers that would say it was engineerable, because, well, illegal since mid-late eighties

RACQ have a decent section explaining it actually if you're interested
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #11
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWlady View Post
My understanding was catalyst removal was a massive no-no
Although it's frequently done, there are few engineers that would say it was engineerable, because, well, illegal since mid-late eighties

RACQ have a decent section explaining it actually if you're interested
defini8tely interested

i fully expect it to be a no-no... then a small part of me thinks 'well if you can get it to meet the super stringent emissions tests, it should be ok, if they're sensible, right?' ... which is of course not how it works lol

eh, it's such a complicated world (the car modification scene and policing it), so many ifs and buts and roundabouts.

on one hand, they could pass it emissions legal, then the owner could instantly flash a high boost non-legal map, and .. well obvious results
on the other, the whole car could be totally stock (exhaust etc.) with a totally invisible tune that would in no way pass emissions... but no one's the wise and the car is technically totally legal.

so much stupidity.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #12
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM e82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy

defini8tely interested

i fully expect it to be a no-no... then a small part of me thinks 'well if you can get it to meet the super stringent emissions tests, it should be ok, if they're sensible, right?'

eh, it's such a complicated world (the car modification scene and policing it), so many ifs and buts and roundabouts.
Sadly "shoulds" and "woulds" can't apply these days, noticed how its usually a matter of opinion of the person testing x, y, z.

Makes modding difficult sometimes, but also fun in a sense, challenging and the like.

Agreed, above average levels of stupidity are definitely noticeable
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Just give it up and accept that since the late 70's any engine mod is not legal. No government is going to make modding easier as we are all viewed by the general public as anti social hoons.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #14
micha3l
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Looks like Queensland will have some concessions.

http://www.ncop.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10

As of 1st Nov 2012, Queensland TMR vehicle modification legislation will implement & commence transitioning to the National Code Of Practice (NCOP) over a 6 month period, at which point we will see the revocation of the current QCOP legislation.

Both the new NCOP and older QCOP will run concurrently for 6 months until 1st May 2013, then the older QCOP will be retired, at which point all future vehicle construction & modification legislation will need to meet the requirements of NCOP.

If you have any vehicle modifications which have been made and installed based around the older QCOP legislation (and not yet approved by an engineer with TMR approvals), you should start to make plans to have these approved before the older legislation is phased out in May next year. That's assuming any modifications you've made were engineered for legal road use.

This one is good for us...

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Sa...ons/vsil20.pdf

2011 BMW M3 - Mineral White - VF620 Supercharger - Gintani Sport Valved Exhaust - Harrop BBK - Arykym Front lip and Diffuser - KW Sleeve over kit - Forgestar CF5V Wheels
2009 BMW 135i - Space Grey - 11.841 @ 117.81mph - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #15
micha3l
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Whoops, never read Sparoz's post properly.

Looks like I'll need to get that supercharged M3 done before next year!

For an exhaust, it states "Substitution or replacement of components such as camshafts, carburettors, engine management systems, exhaust systems, etc. must not be carried out unless it can be demonstrated that the vehicle will continue to meet the appropriate gaseous and noise emission standards"

If the emissions test is waived in QLD, does this mean it only needs to comply with noise standards?

2011 BMW M3 - Mineral White - VF620 Supercharger - Gintani Sport Valved Exhaust - Harrop BBK - Arykym Front lip and Diffuser - KW Sleeve over kit - Forgestar CF5V Wheels
2009 BMW 135i - Space Grey - 11.841 @ 117.81mph - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #16
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha3l View Post
Whoops, never read Sparoz's post properly.

Looks like I'll need to get that supercharged M3 done before next year!

For an exhaust, it states "Substitution or replacement of components such as camshafts, carburettors, engine management systems, exhaust systems, etc. must not be carried out unless it can be demonstrated that the vehicle will continue to meet the appropriate gaseous and noise emission standards"

If the emissions test is waived in QLD, does this mean it only needs to comply with noise standards?
Yes, it still needs to comply to the noise standards. There is a link through those documents on the tests involve for the noise test that measures a db level that it needs to comply at certain rpm whilst the car is stationary so that it will comply the dry by standards which is harder to measure. There is a table in there stating the db level require for each car model.

As far as emission standards, it still needs to comply just that a test is not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #17
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Hi guys,

I figured I would just update some of the links and information on my OP. There have been some new documents released since that first post like the VSI 6. It's a good read if you're interested in whether your modifications are legal or not as not all modifications require certification.
      03-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #18
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop
Hi guys,

I figured I would just update some of the links and information on my OP. There have been some new documents released since that first post like the VSI 6. It's a good read if you're interested in whether your modifications are legal or not as not all modifications require certification.
I've been told that most of the time getting bigger brakes certified is SUPER easy these days and the track testing is very rarely required!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #19
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

Froop can you add this to your initial thread

Guidelines for alternative wheels and tyres

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...si-09-rev4.pdf
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 06:10 AM   #20
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Whats the general consensus on this?

Who can we go to get these 'approved'? Advan?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #21
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

Only an approved rta engineer can approve modifications and then you have to supply the engineers report to the rta
You have to carry it in the car at all times otherwise it's a fine

It can get to be a pain in the arse as once you have a report done on your car every mod has to be listed
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 04:04 AM   #22
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
Only an approved rta engineer can approve modifications and then you have to supply the engineers report to the rta
You have to carry it in the car at all times otherwise it's a fine

It can get to be a pain in the arse as once you have a report done on your car every mod has to be listed
What a hassle.. im sure everyone has these documents in the car lol
Appreciate 0