BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i - 2016 320i

How does it work?

Wondering what the stages of throttle response are. Say I am moving at 5MPH and then floor it. How does the engine/transmission/tubos act? I know the engine revs up and, I think, the trans kicks down and somewhere the turbo kicks in or revs up or something. Just curious and all comments are welcome. I guess what I am looking for is how does the turbo work? Is it spinning all time and then give a boost somewhere during the rev up.

Last edited by Stock4Evr; 05-23-2015 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Your car burns fuel and air. Once this happens, it creates exhaust gas which is expelled through the exhaust. Enter the turbo, the turbo is placed right after the exhaust manifold and has two two turbines ( intake and exhaust) contained in the turbine housing. The turbo utilizes otherwise wasted exhaust gas to spin the exhaust turbine and correspondingly spin the intake turbine, thus compressing and forcing more intake air into each cylinder and making more power. This is all controlled by the waste gate which sits next to the exhaust turbine. When the car controls boost it opens the waste gate and basically bypasses the exhaust turbine and controlling how fast the turbine spins.

That's it in short.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #3
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i - 2016 320i

LinkA8A0A: Thank you for the very informative reply. I will save it so that I can digest it more later. I have read about the Turbo operation but never, thoroughly, understood it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 07:13 AM   #4
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-injection.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-injection2.htm

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkA8A0A View Post
Your car burns fuel and air. Once this happens, it creates exhaust gas which is expelled through the exhaust. Enter the turbo, the turbo is placed right after the exhaust manifold and has two two turbines ( intake and exhaust) contained in the turbine housing. The turbo utilizes otherwise wasted exhaust gas to spin the exhaust turbine and correspondingly spin the intake turbine, thus compressing and forcing more intake air into each cylinder and making more power. This is all controlled by the waste gate which sits next to the exhaust turbine. When the car controls boost it opens the waste gate and basically bypasses the exhaust turbine and controlling how fast the turbine spins.

That's it in short.
Intake turbine is not a thing. A turbo has three main parts - the turbine, compressor, and the shaft that connects the two. Turbines by definition take energy from an expanding flow, compressors put energy into a flow to compress it.

The turbine sits in the exhaust manifold and takes energy from exhaust gases. This energy is used to drive the compressor. The compressor then takes intake air and forces it into the intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Intake turbine is not a thing. A turbo has three main parts - the turbine, compressor, and the shaft that connects the two. Turbines by definition take energy from an expanding flow, compressors put energy into a flow to compress it.

The turbine sits in the exhaust manifold and takes energy from exhaust gases. This energy is used to drive the compressor. The compressor then takes intake air and forces it into the intake manifold.
So wait, where does the flux capacitor fit into this equation?

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp
Quote:

So wait, where does the flux capacitor fit into this equation?
That is only there if you have a torqued out bindle rotor, replacing the Johnson rod with a billet version will reverse the flow of the flux capacitor, and preserve bindle rotor bearing life due to decrease in static charge.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #8
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:

Ok, semantics. For the sake of this thread I think the explanation I gave was sufficient. Also, the turbine doesn't sit in the exhaust manifold, it sits in the turbine housing which is bolted to the exhaust manifold.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkA8A0A View Post
Ok, semantics. For the sake of this thread I think the explanation I gave was sufficient. Also, the turbine doesn't sit in the exhaust manifold, it sits in the turbine housing which is bolted to the exhaust manifold.
The semantics are important, what you described doesn't exist. And the turbos on BMWs are cast into the exhaust manifold, it's one part according to BMW
Appreciate 0