BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Accurate Tire Gauge

Did some searching but couldn't find anything. I have three tire gauges and each gives a different tire pressure. All three read the same pressure each time but the pressure is different. I know that consistency is key but I'd like the accuracy too.

Here is what I get:
35.0 on the Slime. Measurement is to 0.1 psi.
37 on the analog gauge. Measurement is to whatever your eye can discern.
38.0 on the Accutire. Measurement is to 0.5 psi.

Which do I trust and why? What is an accurate tire gauge and how do you know?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
I think all gauges vary from sample to sample... If you had two of the same gauge, I suppose you could average the two readings.

That said, the Accutire gauge is top-rated by Consumer Reports and that's the one I have and use.
      07-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
IS+1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (AW 6MT)

If you're willing to spend a bit of money, I find the Intercomp gauge from Tirerack is excellent... great reviews overall as well:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...d+Depth+Gauges

It comes in two sizes... I bought the 4" but the 2.5" would have sufficed.

For the money, this is probably one of the best automotive purchases I've made, especially if you track your car and need to constantly adjust your pressures.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
bimmer Don
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i m sport

Longacre makes some great ones. I always use them on my race cars
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Just to update this after trying out a new, highly recommended tire gauge today after having several slime and accutire ones that were 7 psi off from each other and my inflator's gauge. After trying this out this afternoon, I can't recommend this one enough. Best tire pressure gauge I've ever used as it's incredibly sturdy, and the angled chuck goes on perfectly every time to seal and give a good reading without having to fidget around and make sure you're lining things up at the right angle, etc. to not lose air and get a good reading. Bleeder valve works perfectly and has a surprisingly large, easy to read face. It also confirms the same reading as my inflator, both of which match what the dealer just inflated my tires to. So, that's 3 all showing the same PSI.

It's pretty comparable to the intercomp ones at half the price for $20 and eligible for amazon prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Just to update this after trying out a new, highly recommended tire gauge today after having several slime and accutire ones that were 7 psi off from each other and my inflator's gauge. After trying this out this afternoon, I can't recommend this one enough. Best tire pressure gauge I've ever used as it's incredibly sturdy, and the angled chuck goes on perfectly every time to seal and give a good reading without having to fidget around and make sure you're lining things up at the right angle, etc. to not lose air and get a good reading. Bleeder valve works perfectly and has a surprisingly large, easy to read face. It also confirms the same reading as my inflator, both of which match what the dealer just inflated my tires to. So, that's 3 all showing the same PSI.

It's pretty comparable to the intercomp ones at half the price for $20 and eligible for amazon prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Use the same gauge for autocross and temp. Has been consistent with pressures. Just make sure you don't leave it out in the sun, as it could come out of calibration because of the heat and messing with the internal springs.

Very popular amoung the autox crowd
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Use the same gauge for autocross and temp. Has been consistent with pressures. Just make sure you don't leave it out in the sun, as it could come out of calibration because of the heat and messing with the internal springs.

Very popular amoung the autox crowd
Thanks for the tip and it's good to hear you and others use and like it since I went out on a limb buying it over others based primarily on the reviews on Amazon. Like HeelToe, I just wanted one, highly recommended, high quality, consistent, and accurate tire gauge for my baby.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Thanks for the tip and it's good to hear you and others use and like it since I went out on a limb buying it over others based primarily on the reviews on Amazon. Like HeelToe, I just wanted one, highly recommended, high quality, consistent, and accurate tire gauge for my baby.
It'll eventually come back into calibration when you cool it down, but since it isn't water cooled...this is why you'll get some variation.

Tire pressure is just a reference after all, isn't it? 34 PSI may be 36 PSI on someone else's gauge, but in the end both get even tire-wear with no complaints so it is a non-issue at the end of the day.

Enjoy!

So OP - If one of those gauges gives you consistent readings, and you're happy. No need to buy anything else.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I just use a Acutire MS 4021b. Consumer reports tested a bunch of gauges and found this one and the Acutire MS4400b to be the most accurate. Both are under $15. I like the looks of the dial and hose type but what I really want is an accurate tire pressure.
      09-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
AKopp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

I use a Blue Point digital gauge. A bit salty, but I use it every day.
2009 135i - SG/Coral - 19" Alufelgen SF-71 - ST Coilovers - Cobb Stage 2+ - AR Downpipes - Berk Sport Exhaust - Active Autowerke Charge Pipe - AMS FMIC - AFE DCI - LUX V3 Angel Eyes - LCI Blacklines - Active Autowerke Strut Tower Brace - BMW Performance CF Spoiler - Kerscher Carbon Splitter - Scopian CF Diffuser - MusicarNW Level 2
Appreciate 0