BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #23
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Fair enough. I see where you would make the correlation. Look, I'm not jumping on you or attacking you. Just saying you misunderstand the point of this post in particular. In this case I am just expounding upon my thoughts while exploring my options. But since you have connected the two, here are my current thoughts:
1. I am disinclined to keep my 135 due to the damage, nuless BMW Financial is willing to cut me a nice break on the buyout price.
2. That leads me to one of two choices (assuming they won't cut me a worthy deal): get another 135 (some have suggested a 1M, which is what I wanted in the first place, but they simply weren't available or a 135is, of which fewer were made than the 1M, so that is equally unlikely), or get an M235 (anything bigger, like the (to me) colossal 435 is out of the question).
3. If I can find a 135 that fits my requirements (6MT, Mspt, preferably premium pkg, preferably black) at a reasonable price, I will get it. If not...
4. I look at the M235, hence the test drive.
5. But if I keep my (or buy another) 135, I can see what the M2 has to offer...

I like the M235, but I think the 135 is more raw, and the black sheep of the bunch. I don't like following the crowd, and I have always loved the fact that the 1er is downplayed as the "entry-level" BMW or the "baby Bimmer", because those opinions are formed out of ignorance. The 135 (and in it's own way, the 128) provides the most raw, visceral, pure driving experience BMW offers at the moment (IMHO). It is pure, in a driver's sense, in ways that the rest of the stable are not. I don't care about badges. I would love this car if it had a Hyundai badge on it. I care about pure driving experience.
That said, the world is moving on. Like the MT I am so fond of, small, purist performance coupes with mechanical driving linkages (steering, etc) are becoming the rarity and we have to face reality. That is why I am considering the M235, much to the chagrin of fellow 1er enthusiasts.
I love that the (non)cognoscenti think the 1er is an inferior form of car. let them have their overly-processed driving experiences and their overly-refined cars. I want raw, I want visceral, I want the road less driven.

That said, I also want a solid gold toilet. Some things just aren't in the cards. So I will explore all (reasonable) options.

Oh, BTW, the other thing that is appealing about a new car (M235) is that I will be in Germany for 3 weeks next April, and a ED sounds wonderful.
I understand and didn't feel like you were attacking me at all. Maybe I did misunderstand the point of your post a little bit, but that was because I felt it WAS a continuation of your other thread where you WERE asking our opinions. No harm, no foul, brother.

If you are at all considering the 1M, by all means, do it! Because of a permanently damaged left ankle, I can no longer drive a manual transmission, but if I could, I would have a 1M. I don't care about the price. To me, it's worth it. I would always drive a manual if I could.

Don't get me wrong, I love the DCT. It is the best auto I have ever driven and I always drive in the manual mode with the sport button pressed. It is fast and extremely fun and no worries about a clutch in traffic
      08-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #24
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
If you are at all considering the 1M, by all means, do it! Because of a permanently damaged left ankle, I can no longer drive a manual transmission, but if I could, I would have a 1M. I don't care about the price. To me, it's worth it. I would always drive a manual if I could.

Don't get me wrong, I love the DCT. It is the best auto I have ever driven and I always drive in the manual mode with the sport button pressed. It is fast and extremely fun and no worries about a clutch in traffic
I would love a 1M, but won't pay $60k for one just because they are a collectors' item. I don't track, I just drive enthusiastically every day. I'm sure the DCT is great, and I was truly impressed with the AT in the 235. The last AT I drove was on my ex's 2010 328. I thought it was horrible and even when she offered it, I preferred to drive my Jetta TDI 6MT on a daily basis. I understand some people can't do a manual for DD, and some people wouldn't choose an MT even if they could, but that's what I like to drive, even in my daily stop-and-go commute (and if you've ever commuted in the greater Boston area, you will know what I'm talking about). DCTs are great, and the 235's AT is great, but neither are for me.
I actually found a nice low-mileage CPO 135 tonight and am going to pursue it.

Does anyone know if dealerships can trade CPO inventory?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #25
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would love a 1M, but won't pay $60k for one just because they are a collectors' item. I don't track, I just drive enthusiastically every day. I'm sure the DCT is great, and I was truly impressed with the AT in the 235. The last AT I drove was on my ex's 2010 328. I thought it was horrible and even when she offered it, I preferred to drive my Jetta TDI 6MT on a daily basis. I understand some people can't do a manual for DD, and some people wouldn't choose an MT even if they could, but that's what I like to drive, even in my daily stop-and-go commute (and if you've ever commuted in the greater Boston area, you will know what I'm talking about). DCTs are great, and the 235's AT is great, but neither are for me.
I actually found a nice low-mileage CPO 135 tonight and am going to pursue it.

Does anyone know if dealerships can trade CPO inventory?
I don't think of the 1M as just a collectors' item. I think of it as the rawest version of my favorite car, the E82.

Have you ever driven the 405 freeway in LA during rush hour? I have. It's considered the worst traffic in the US. Believe me, I know what traffic is and I, a die-hard manual transmission fan, don't want a manual in that kind of traffic.
      08-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #26
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
I don't think of the 1M as just a collectors' item. I think of it as the rawest version of my favorite car, the E82.

Have you ever driven the 405 freeway in LA during rush hour? I have. It's considered the worst traffic in the US. Believe me, I know what traffic is and I, a die-hard manual transmission fan, don't want a manual in that kind of traffic.
Actually I have, on business trips, and I find the LA-area traffic nightmare to be just obscene. I've lived in numerous major metro areas (SF and Boston being the worst I've had to deal with on a daily basis) and LA is ridiculous. In that vein, I understand the aversion to MT. I really do.
I would still choose it over anything but the best of AT/DCTs.\
But enough of that. This isn't a discussion of transmissions.

I agree that the 1M is in a class by itself. I tried really hard to get one when they first came out, but I can't justify in my head paying more than original MSRP for a used (and used HARD, no doubt) car, not matter how good it is. And that is IF you can even find one.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 11:47 PM   #27
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

I still want to hear more about this gold toilet, but I've never heard of dealers being able to swap CPO inventory, only new inventory, so don't think you'll have luck in that regard. A lot of people here just travel out and have them sent back from far off dealers. You might want to try to negotiate a PPK in there as well in lieu of or in addition to getting money OFF the car.

I still say try to find a 135is near you if you can just to compare to see how that feels in relation to the 235 as I think that will be quite telling and informative of whether you prefer an enhanced 135 with much of what's on a 235, but still retain the looks, size, interior, and steering feel of the 135.

The other problem with ED, aside from the fact that your doctor makes you take pills and you have no excuse to not have sex with your old wife again, is that while it might be fun to drive the car in europe, I gotta imagine the agony of then just dropping it off and waiting 2 months to get it back is horrible. I'm also weary of driving cars 150 mph+ and such during the break in period.

My completely biased 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 12:31 AM   #28
SHKDOWN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe MSport Jet Blk

Not sure if you've seen any of these pics, yet: M235i w/mods. Posted on 1addicts.com homepage. http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028969 Here's one of the pics...puts to rest any questions as to "aesthetic" appeal, imo. LOVE IT!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 12:38 AM   #29
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHKDOWN View Post
Not sure if you've seen any of these pics, yet: M235i w/mods. Posted on 1addicts.com homepage. http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028969 Here's one of the pics...puts to rest any questions as to "aesthetic" appeal, imo. LOVE IT!
I just wish they posted the actual pics, not filtered fancy looking ones. Plus, I don't like that he says they're apex wheels, then puts BBS stickers on them? Perhaps it goes well with the 17 Ms on the car. THe wheels are definitely a serious upgrade though over stock ones.

Only problem is you'd have to factor in however many thousands of dollars were spent on all those aftermarket parts to upgrade the car to look like that. Not cheap.

They actually had an M235 for sale near me with almost everything on it from the M Performance catalog and it was $67k!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 12:47 AM   #30
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHKDOWN View Post
Front end looks distorted. Kinda like you're looking at it through a funhouse mirror to me.

Last edited by Esteban; 08-30-2014 at 01:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 12:53 AM   #31
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Front end looks distorted. Kinda like you're looking at it through a funhouse mirror to me.
That's the only way my wife ever looked attractive after she hit 30.

For the price of a fully done up m235 though, i'd rather just get a low mileage 1M...and save the funhouse mirror for the women.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 02:36 AM   #32
SHKDOWN
Private First Class
Rep

Excellent points.

I guess I want to believe that a slightly modded M235i can look this good...even if the pics were doctored a bit. The jury is still out. There hasn't been enough time for people to get their hands on it, do some mods and share the results; the right wheels, a little lowering...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 02:38 AM   #33
SHKDOWN
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
LOLOLOL!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 04:40 AM   #34
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
LMAO; is she still your wife?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 05:44 AM   #35
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive28i

He traded her in for a WIFEis.

... gone but never forgotten ...
2013 135i M-Sport
Mineral Gray over Oyster Boston Leather
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 05:57 AM   #36
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k
Quote:

Actually I have, on business trips, and I find the LA-area traffic nightmare to be just obscene. I've lived in numerous major metro areas (SF and Boston being the worst I've had to deal with on a daily basis) and LA is ridiculous. In that vein, I understand the aversion to MT. I really do.
I would still choose it over anything but the best of AT/DCTs.\
But enough of that. This isn't a discussion of transmissions.

I agree that the 1M is in a class by itself. I tried really hard to get one when they first came out, but I can't justify in my head paying more than original MSRP for a used (and used HARD, no doubt) car, not matter how good it is. And that is IF you can even find one.
the great thing about the 1M is that even after paying too much for a used one-----I have never, ever, ever regretted it. It is just so good in every single damn way that I will do whatever it takes to make sure I am driving one. the biggest problem with the 1M is that I honestly cannot think of another car is rather be driving.....in ANY price category.....it is worth every penny and more. I don't care about future prices as I'm living for today and am gonna drive this thing for many, many years.

as for MTs....until my legs fall off in a gangrenous mess of dead tissue I will certainly try to keep buying MT cars. i too live in a big city and find manuals to be much better to drive In heavy traffic than DCTs....why? because I hate riding the brakes....when I had a DSG Audi for 2 years I felt like I spent my time riding the brakes...the worst! manuals are easy in traffic....just have to keep a bit of distance between your car and the one in front...so that you're not constantly coming to a stop. Those of you who have leg pain and stuff....obviously the DCT is the best option....and it certainly is a great alternative IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #37
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the great thing about the 1M is that even after paying too much for a used one-----I have never, ever, ever regretted it. It is just so good in every single damn way that I will do whatever it takes to make sure I am driving one. the biggest problem with the 1M is that I honestly cannot think of another car is rather be driving.....in ANY price category.....it is worth every penny and more. I don't care about future prices as I'm living for today and am gonna drive this thing for many, many years.
Sure...Rub it in...
I really wanted one back when they were new. I mean similarly optioned, it was only like $6k more expensive than a 135 Mspt. Madness!!
I see/hear a white one buzzing around Boston from time to time and I always drool with envy.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #38
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
I still want to hear more about this gold toilet, but I've never heard of dealers being able to swap CPO inventory, only new inventory, so don't think you'll have luck in that regard. A lot of people here just travel out and have them sent back from far off dealers. You might want to try to negotiate a PPK in there as well in lieu of or in addition to getting money OFF the car.

I still say try to find a 135is near you if you can just to compare to see how that feels in relation to the 235 as I think that will be quite telling and informative of whether you prefer an enhanced 135 with much of what's on a 235, but still retain the looks, size, interior, and steering feel of the 135.

The other problem with ED, aside from the fact that your doctor makes you take pills and you have no excuse to not have sex with your old wife again, is that while it might be fun to drive the car in europe, I gotta imagine the agony of then just dropping it off and waiting 2 months to get it back is horrible. I'm also weary of driving cars 150 mph+ and such during the break in period.

My completely biased 2 cents.
I actually wouldn't mind flying out to where the one I found is and driving it back. It's only about a 9 hour drive. I just really like my sales guy here and want to try to go through him if possible.
I already know I would want to put a PPK or other tune in it, and would also try to negotiate that in to the deal- I mean it's just a flash, so they're not out anything but a few minutes of a tech's time to put it in. They honeymoonm isn't over, but it is time to add some spice if I stay in a 1er.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #39
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Sure...Rub it in...
I really wanted one back when they were new. I mean similarly optioned, it was only like $6k more expensive than a 135 Mspt. Madness!!
I see/hear a white one buzzing around Boston from time to time and I always drool with envy.
you can still buy one...if you are shopping M235s then you definitely have the budget to buy one! I would highly, highly recommend driving one....you will never be the same afterwards

i, too, could not find an allocation in 2011. I spent pretty much 3 years agonizing over the 1M. Got a 135is in the meantime (which i LOVED, btw) and then still kept agonizing. NOW i am not agonizing!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #40
dsh135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Quote:
If I keep my 135, it will definitely get a tune (PPK, Cobb, or Dinan) and exhaust (probably the CP-E I've been eyeing for years). I am also considering the BMW PS and possibly M3 rear subframe bushings to get rid of that back-end bounciness.
If you're not convinced about the improvement of the 235i over the stock 135, it won't even be a contest once you've modded the 1er. Add to your above list the M3 control arms and sways. You won't recognize the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #41
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Because of the collision damage, I would not buy out the lease unless it was at a significant discount and the car is extreme low mileage.

My 2012 135i has the PPK and it is significantly faster than my 2011 135i. The big difference is in 2nd and 3rd gears. At 12,500 miles the Dunlop run flat rear tires are almost worn out. I intend to replace them with PSS, stock size rear and 225/40-18 in the front to tame the under steer. I am amazed at how many folks went up a size all the way round and then tried to play with the suspension in other ways to deal with under steer.

The main advantage of the 8 speed is improved highway efficiency. At 60 mph my DCT in top gear needs 2,000 rpm. The 8 speed runs at about 1,500 rpm for a 25% reduction in internal engine friction. At higher speeds it makes less of a difference because air resistance becomes the dominant force to overcome.
      08-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #42
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
This isn't a discussion of transmissions.
You should get a m235i, it's the best car. And it has an M on it.

Thanks for the review. Good luck with your decision making process.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0