09-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #24
bvez3ro
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05zhp View Post
I'm at Oktoberfest in Munich for a 1M pickup as we speak!
Perfect timing ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #25
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Ill be there as well.. not sure how many.. this is probably 6th or 7th.. I have made every one since 2007 and also went in 1999 and 2003. My car is set to hit the dock in the US 10/03. My dealer is in South Carolina and Ofest is 10/10-10/16.

I am signed up to instruct at the track Wed, Thursday, Saturday and I can't recall Sunday. I am hoping that I can get lucky and the car clears customs and I can pick it up out during Ofest by leaving Birmingham to go get the car or by flying direct and bringing it back.. Either way.. I am doing Ofest.. have the week off work..

So.. wolfpack... we need to meet and have a beer or three... while we both pine for our cars..

Brian Watts will probably be there.. it's ofest in his home town.

Next year is Lime Rock... which I hate to say I really have little interest in going to...
At least you have had the chance to meet and drive yours and it is just the re-delivery your waiting on. I've seen the photos. I hope you can get delivery during that time!

I am sure that we will meet there and surprised we haven't yet. Makes it easier in person and that is a big part of that event every year. If you are not meeting new people and making friends, you are not doing something right. I missed 2003 otherwise been to all since 2002.
      09-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #26
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Are you guys that are new to Barber watching in car videos to learn the track layout? I've been 11 times and have some good racing footage that is sure to get your head into the track faster.
      09-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #27
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Are you guys that are new to Barber watching in car videos to learn the track layout? I've been 11 times and have some good racing footage that is sure to get your head into the track faster.
Yeah, I figured I would spend some time the week before I leave to look through video and figure it out as much as possible before getting there. I usually don't instruct unless I have been to a track before, but every once in a while you just have to say......you know. A few tips would be appreciated if you want to share.
      09-18-2011, 01:38 AM   #28
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
That'd be great! Do you know Barber??

Neil
Yep!! I have been on their instructor list since 2005... We had tons of us from Texas (as in more than a dozen of us) going when Heart of Dixie had memorial day weekend originally.. They have gotten that weekend back.. but the last two years I have been at Mid Ohio that weekend, and this year I stayed home

Quote:
Hey dan,

I'm not new. Went there 2005-07 three years in a row. It's been a while, other than watching races on tv.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-19-2011 at 01:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #29
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Here's a sprint race from 2010:

The fastest sport racer class car ran 16 seconds a lap faster than me so it made for a lot of mirror work. They are so small you can't see them when they are next to you.

I watched a few laps with the 1M in mind and I bet the car is going to spend 90% of it's time in 3rd gear. The gearing is much taller than the race car so it's possible to even use 2nd at the hairpin (T4) but with the excellent low end torque 3rd is probably going to be smoother and less stressful on the car. I'd be interested in talking with you guys about how the 1M did at Barber after you get some seat time. I've never been on Barber in a car with big torque so I suspect it will be a hand full.
      09-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #30
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
The whole idea of O'Fest is to go out of your way to someplace you would not normally go to. Our trip this year will be about 2500 miles and 6 states including the Mississippi gulf coast, New Orleans, and then to Birmingham with a couple days in Memphis at the end. 14 days total. The Houston guys made a three day trip of the arrival to the Fort Worth event a few years ago. Ask Art about that.
Trust me, it is not the distance that is the deterrent, it is the lack of days I can skip off and make it a full experience. I am no stranger to driving across many state lines for a good gathering (e.g. Bav Auto's Drive and Shine event in NH, Audi's H2O in MD), I end up regretting I can only get a day or two and feels more like a tease thank soak in the full experience.

Quote:
you would be CRAZY not to....
At the very least come to Barber and spend a couple of hours at the Museum and catch a race or two..
I am really tempted. If I leave from PCD the Fri night after delivery and make it there across to AL, then I'll have all day Sat to enjoy it and drive back all day Sun. I've been meaning to even pay APR (who have a GRAND-AM Continental Tire SCC team) a visit and they are in Opelika, AL, so may just end up combining all of these in one
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 12:22 AM   #31
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Here's a sprint race from 2010:

The fastest sport racer class car ran 16 seconds a lap faster than me so it made for a lot of mirror work. They are so small you can't see them when they are next to you.

I watched a few laps with the 1M in mind and I bet the car is going to spend 90% of it's time in 3rd gear. The gearing is much taller than the race car so it's possible to even use 2nd at the hairpin (T4) but with the excellent low end torque 3rd is probably going to be smoother and less stressful on the car. I'd be interested in talking with you guys about how the 1M did at Barber after you get some seat time. I've never been on Barber in a car with big torque so I suspect it will be a hand full.

Thanks for the vid... yes... I've been on track with Spec Racer Fords... actually probably harder to see than those sport racers.. but easily about 10-12 seconds a lap slower.. those sport racers are wicked fast.

Isnt the hairpin T5? I think you are correct on the gears... With so much torque at 1500 rpm... I can't see a lot of reason to use second there... I love climing up the hill looking for the tower going flat out and upshifting to 4th... I imagine that on the three "long" (none of them are long... so this is a relative term).. straights will get into 4th...... but really mostly a third gear course. I had a student there once with a C6 vette.. and that car was the same..

Barber is a fun track... The tunnel turn.... getting all over the curbing on the downhill after the tunnel turn and actually even entering it... Turn 1 is a fast flyer.... had my worst off there ever into the gravel trap in a friend's car I was co-driving and he was in the car with me.. . This was before they put asphalt down and moved the fence about 50 feet back.... I went in way too hot and early apexed the hell out if and as I hit the gravel trap I was already thinking if I gave my keys to my car to my friend that we would be even...

Came out of it without a scratch... gravel trap saved (me) us big time!
My friend Will gave me bags of that pea gravel for literally about two years, because he kept finding it in the car.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-19-2011 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #32
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Nice, I had a big spin in T1 last year. Cold tires and the race started without a lot of warning. The way I look at it any spin that doesn't result in damage is a free lesson.

You are correct about T5 being the hairpin.
http://barbermotorsports.com/general/track-maps.php

I suspect a good stab of the brakes, then carrying 4th through T1, then downshifting to 3rd just before T2 may be the best way in the 1M. It's going to be important to induce a little oversteer in the entrance to several corners or the car is going to plow a lot. Although BMP is very smooth I imagine a person could really abuse some stock tires over a few days of track time, especially the front left.

Last edited by Dan Parker; 09-19-2011 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #33
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

man, i really want to go! maybe i'll go to spectate; it looks like there's no spectator fee? i'll still be in break-in at that point though (even with the long drive there). i would love to sit with someone and see how it feels to go around turn 7 in a car. it has to be a little different than what i'm used to (on a motorcycle). if you take turn 7 correctly, you're practically 100% airborne, fighting to keep it as close to the pavement as possible, at the same time trying to set up turn 8. a little hairy but oh-SO-much fun!!! barber one of my favorite tracks in the southeast for sure!! my favorite turns are definitely turns 5 and 7, and turn 10 can get a little squirrelly at times too (that's where bit it at about 115mph a few years back). turn 10 is the reason i have tire warmers today. definitely a highside nightmare...luckily, i was able to read it in time, and took the low-side. best part was that it only cost $70 to repair my clutch reservoir and i was back out on the track same day. many others have not had the same luck around that turn.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #34
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

My first time at Barber was in 05 in a Lotus Elise (as close as I can get to a motorcycle) so I can only imagine what it's like on 2 wheels.

Here's another video for those who need some points of reference. I have changed 1 thing about T7 now. I hold 4th until the middle of the corkscrew and then go to 3rd. It's easier on the engine (with my gearing) but in the 1M it might be fine to get to 3rd earlier.

09-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #35
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
man, i really want to go! maybe i'll go to spectate; it looks like there's no spectator fee? i'll still be in break-in at that point though (even with the long drive there). i would love to sit with someone and see how it feels to go around turn 7 in a car. it has to be a little different than what i'm used to (on a motorcycle). if you take turn 7 correctly, you're practically 100% airborne, fighting to keep it as close to the pavement as possible, at the same time trying to set up turn 8. a little hairy but oh-SO-much fun!!! barber one of my favorite tracks in the southeast for sure!! my favorite turns are definitely turns 5 and 7, and turn 10 can get a little squirrelly at times too (that's where bit it at about 115mph a few years back). turn 10 is the reason i have tire warmers today. definitely a highside nightmare...luckily, i was able to read it in time, and took the low-side. best part was that it only cost $70 to repair my clutch reservoir and i was back out on the track same day. many others have not had the same luck around that turn.

yeah you want to nibble at those two curbs in a car... get too much of them at the entry or apex and the car will hop and unsettle it... and then the driver is going for a ride... Worst is the ones that go off drivers right and then hook it back across and hit the armco driver's left where the extension meets at 17. Seen a couple cars cracked up badly there and the tunnel turn.

Hey dan i don't think that microphone can pick up those brakes any better..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #36
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Yeah, those pads took forever to heat up and quiet down. There's no doubt in the video when they are being applied!

How not to start a 90 min enduro. I was directly behind this mini. 3 cars wrecked badly and the vette was told to never come back (he took out the president and vice president of PBOC....Oooops) A lot of people believe he wasn't at fault but what's done is done.

A little off topic but for those that are new to Barber this is a situation you should be aware of. It may never happen again but it's worth seeing so you are aware of it.

I had a crazy incident at Barber in 09 and recently found video of it from the viewing area near the kink. A sport racer (yellow) passed me, locked up the brakes, went off into the gravel, and came flying back onto the track facing me! Luckily, I had the awareness to see it coming and stood on my brakes as no one was coming up behind me. I literally came to a stop in front of him. He gave me a wave as if to say, "Thanks for not killing me." I probably would have driven right over him like a skateboard ramp if I hadn't done this.

The incident from the viewing area point of view. The girl screaming and freaking out is the driver of the yellow car's girlfriend.

My point of view. The camera was too low so you can barely see the car but you get the idea. The mini on the left was limping back and I think he surprised the yellow car who was entering the turn too fast and off line anyway.
      09-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #37
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 M5, 23 X5 45e

Thanks for sharing Dan. This will be my first DE in 8 years, so I will be very cautious
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #38
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Trust me, it is not the distance that is the deterrent, it is the lack of days I can skip off and make it a full experience. I am no stranger to driving across many state lines for a good gathering (e.g. Bav Auto's Drive and Shine event in NH, Audi's H2O in MD), I end up regretting I can only get a day or two and feels more like a tease thank soak in the full experience.

I am really tempted. If I leave from PCD the Fri night after delivery and make it there across to AL, then I'll have all day Sat to enjoy it and drive back all day Sun. I've been meaning to even pay APR (who have a GRAND-AM Continental Tire SCC team) a visit and they are in Opelika, AL, so may just end up combining all of these in one
well then it's settled

Keep in mind that ofest is regional.. it moves around each year, and is likely only to be anywhere near you again on a 3-4 year cycle. The last 4 years have been

2010- Elkhart Lake, WI
2009- Atlanta, GA
2008- Watkins Glen, NY
2007- Fort Worth, TX

next year in 2012 is Lime Rock.. (4 years between dates in the upper NE) then 2013 will be out West.. rumored to be at Laguna or Sears point (it's been 7-8 years since it's been on the W coast.. i believe 2004? ) . then likely back in the Southwest.. ..( more than likely in Austin Texas again with the F1 track coming in... !! and this will make six years between dates in the Southwest) and then probably back in the midwest again in 2014 (Mid Ohio... Autobahn Country Club in Illinois?). Realistically I wouldn't expect it to be back in the Southeast until 2014 or 2015... depending on what destination race tracks are available.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-19-2011 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #39
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
well then it's settled

Keep in mind that ofest is regional.. it moves around each year, and is likely only to be anywhere near you again on a 3-4 year cycle. The last 4 years have been

2010- Elkhart Lake, WI
2009- Atlanta, GA
2008- Watkins Glen, NY
2007- Fort Worth, TX

next year in 2012 is Lime Rock.. (4 years between dates in the upper NE) then 2013 will be out West.. rumored to be at Laguna or Sears point (it's been 7-8 years since it's been on the W coast.. i believe 2004? ) . then likely back in the Southwest.. ..( more than likely in Austin Texas again with the F1 track coming in... !! and this will make six years between dates in the Southwest) and then probably back in the midwest again in 2014 (Mid Ohio... Autobahn Country Club in Illinois?). Realistically I wouldn't expect it to be back in the Southeast until 2014 or 2015... depending on what destination race tracks are available.
Awesome, thx for the info! Great news that next yr it hits Lime Rock (though I'll still shoot for this yr, maybe explore BMW Financial's new Ultimate Drive app and pick some nice roads from SC to AL)

BTW, Austin F1 FTW!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #40
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Slightly revised schedule

I'll now be at Barber on Wednesday and Thursday (instead of Thursday and Saturday). Will still be doing the M autox on Friday.

M3Adjuster -- I'll let and Woody fight over me! Perhaps you can each have a day.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #41
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
I'll now be at Barber on Wednesday and Thursday (instead of Thursday and Saturday). Will still be doing the M autox on Friday.

M3Adjuster -- I'll let and Woody fight over me! Perhaps you can each have a day.

Neil
See, this is why I needed to finally get an M car. I have been on the off car days for so long (autocross thurday and track friday) that I never get to see any of you guys unless it is for the social stuff. I guess this year I can see how the 330 does against the 1M (autocross) so I have a bit of an idea for next year (even on different days).
      09-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #42
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Do any of you guys have any kind of schedule? The racers haven't received anything yet. I'm codriving 2 cars in the enduro Friday but wouldn't mind kicking it at the auto-x in the 1M if the schedule allows.

When I get a schedule I'll post it on this thread.
      09-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #43
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

club race school is wednesday thursday.. races are Friday/sat/sun.

beyond that.. probably need to email jack Joyner or Tom Melton/Eric Nissen and see who the race chair is. Which chapter is doing the club race? is it Peachtree?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #44
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

I've already talked with a couple people that might know but things are still up in the air. It's considered a national event so the regional folks aren't in the loop, yet. The racers are being put in 2 groups since it looks like there may be 70+ cars. I was hoping for a long enduro but now it looks like we get 2 60 minute enduros instead. Oh well, I suppose patience is in order.