BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2014, 12:49 AM   #23
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
Yes, I do. There is a short answer, and this isn't it.

The damnable thing about these units is the difference between mass and force (aka weight), which we use interchangeably, usually without appreciating the difference.

Mass:

1 kg = 2.204 lbm (where to avoid confusion, lbm means pounds mass)

Force = Mass x Acceleration. In this context Acceleration is acceleration due to gravity, i.e. "1 g"

A = 1 g = 9.81 m/s^2 = 32.2 ft/s^2

In common practice 1 lbm "weighs" 1 lbf (pounds force), which is to say 1 lbm exerts a downward force on a scale of 1 lbf.

In metric, the unit for Force is Newton (N) and,

F = M x A = 1 kg x 9.81 m/s^2 = 9.81 kg.m/s^2 = 9.81 N

Now 1 kg is 2.204 lbm, so:

1 lbf = (9.81 kg.m/s^2)/(2.204) = 4.451 kg.m/s^2 = 4.451 N

There are 25.4 mm in an inch so:

1 lbf/in = 4.451 N/in = (4.451 N/in) / (25.4 mm/in) = 0.1752 N/mm

Therefore,

60 N/mm = (60 / 0.1752) lbf/in = 342 lbf/in

To add to the confusion, sometimes metric units are bastardized and springs are expressed in terms of kg/mm. Because 9.81 is very close to 10, a 60 N/mm spring is sometimes called a 6 kg/mm spring (but it isn't really).

Sorry for the long answer, but a 400 lbf/in spring is actually a 70 N/mm spring, so going to 60 N/mm would actually be a bit softer than your current 400 lbf/in spring.
Thanks again.

I was getting my conversions from an online calculator, of course. Anyway, long story short: it sounds like my #392 7" springs would work. Is it worth it to use helper springs in order to get the perches lower and minimize preload?
      12-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #24
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Thanks again.

I was getting my conversions from an online calculator, of course. Anyway, long story short: it sounds like my #392 7" springs would work. Is it worth it to use helper springs in order to get the perches lower and minimize preload?
Helper springs use up some of the strut's stroke allowing you to move the bump stop engagement point to a lower point in the main spring compression, which could solve any coil bind issue on a short main spring. They also give you essentially zero main spring preload as you have noted. I have discounted them as an option for our cars because we are challenged for wheel to spring clearance, which is made worse with a taller spring, or a stack which includes a helper spring. I am trying to get my lower spring perch as high as possible to maximize tire clearance, while still maintaining adequate travel and proper bump stop engagement. If you have the clearance though, a helper spring is not a bad way to go. The helper spring "preload" should not be set arbitrarily though. Any extension set into the helper spring at full droop reduces the effective suspension travel because when the helper spring is extended in use, it is functionally the same as picking that tire off the ground. So set your helper springs as short as possible (i.e. maximize helper spring "preload") while ensuring that your bump stop will bottom out before your main spring.

Of course reducing overall suspension travel with a helper spring could solve a rubbing issue potentially, but from a performance point of view maximum possible suspension travel while staying off the bump stops at maximum steady state cornering conditions is optimum.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #25
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Should be plenty of clearance on the 7" spring.

Wheels are ET45 8.5" and a 235/40/18 RS3 tyre on the front with M3 control arms and vorshlags. No spacers.

Appreciate 1
      01-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #26
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
^ PeteA, is that with zero preload in the front? With the 7" spring, there still needs to be some preload in order for the spring perch to clear the tires. Harold installed my Ohlins and said there was a lot of preload needed in there for the fronts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post

2) The Ohlins front struts have internal bump stops that you can't see; however they have a stroke of 89 mm to the bump stop and 109 mm until the bump stop is fully compressed. Swift 7" x 60 N/mm (p/n 65-178-060) springs have a maximum usable stroke of 106 mm and an absolute maximum stroke of 118 mm before they go coil bound. That means that these springs should be installed with minimal preload to prevent them being over-compressed when hard on the bump stop. With 12 mm preload on the springs, they will just go coil bound when the bump stop bottoms out. This is the absolute maximum preload you should consider, but really is too much. Better would be somewhere between 0 and 6 mm. This means that you have very little ability to adjust the front ride height with these springs if you want to keep them properly in the working range. They are the absolute shortest 60 N/mm spring you can use with this strut. The Ohlins 200 mm 60 N/mm spring, or a Swift 8" spring will give you more adjustability, but at the expense of tire to spring clearance. This issue is exactly why it is better to have a strut that adjusts preload and ride height separately (as the 1M/M3 Ohlins front strut does). Unfortunately they don't work with the 135i steering knuckle.
There seems to be a lot more than 12mm preload in my install. If I remember correctly, there's about 0.5" to 0.75" of preload when I eyed the installed spring length. I'll have to go back in there and measure it more carefully with a ruler. Any less preload with 7" springs will result in a slammed car look in the front. As is, the spring perch barely clears my 255/35 tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post

Yep a 1M front end strut would work with the 1M front knuckles. Not sure if many have done this. It would require new brake hats and caliper brackets to suit. I went a 7" front spring for tyre/spring perch clearance. This is quite a bit of it as a result so for that it doesn't have an issue. 8" would ofcourse provide more stroke but at the expense of clearance. Nevertheless, I don't seem to have any issues with the setup at all and I can highly recommended. Harold sent me my kit pre-assembled with Vorshlags and from what I could tell the spring had next to 0 pre-load as it was quite easy to spin the spring by hand. So I didn't touch it.

Ride height is pretty much stock as well. I wouldn't buy Ohlins to slam the car anyway.
With 7" springs and 0 preload, how is your ride height at stock height?
I have Vorshlags as well and installed by Harold. Zero preload would surely slam my car in the front.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #27
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
BMW E9x M3 rear lower camber link kit
135i Vorshalag Camber Plates
Front - E82 135i Ohlins Road & Track, 7" Swift Springs 60N/mm w/ Swift thrust sheets
Rear - E82 1M Ohlins Road & Track, 9" Swift Springs 120N/mm w/ Swift thrust sheets
Ohlins Road & track rear damper adjustment extenders
HP auto-sport rear ride height adjusters

I have a similar setup minus thrust sheets, ride height adjusters and fixed dinan camber plates rather than vorschlags.

Quote:
Ride height is pretty much stock as well. I wouldn't buy Ohlins to slam the car anyway.
Ride height is similar as well

Quote:
Should be plenty of clearance on the 7" spring.

Wheels are ET45 8.5" and a 235/40/18 RS3 tyre on the front with M3 control arms and vorshlags. No spacers.

But I didn't have much clearance at all. My previous wheels were 18x8et45 with 225/40/18 AD08R and they just barely cleared the perch. It looked like there was a tiny bit of occasional contact.

New front wheels are 18x8.5et35 and clearance is much better.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #28
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
^ Spot on. M3 RSFB are a must. I went solid turner mounts following some deflection in the rear on hard acceleration. (This is bound to happen when the vehicle is punching out over 400ftlbs of torque)
I don't want to thread jack but how are the solid mounts working out? I'm only concerned about any extra noise. I keep reading on M3post that the NVH is minimal, but the 3 series is much better insulated than the 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #29
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Solid RSFB's are excellent and have noticed some increase in NVH, but it's negligible. I felt I had more NVH increase when I went solid front control arm monoball bushings.

Keep differential, motor mounts and transmission rubber though. Car loves to buzz and whine with solid in those areas. E46 M3 transmission bushings would be a good compromise IMO.

Back on topic,
Still loving my Ohlins. If they ever released an new model with electronic dampening adjustment that would great for people who want that convenience. Analogue is still nice though, its pretty much a set-and-forget.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #30
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin_dry View Post
There's a wide price gap between these two kits. I'm well aware of Ohlins quality after being involved in snowmobiling for many years. I'm curious if anyone here has had an opportunity to compare these two set ups and could provide me with a little feedback on how the kits differ in ride quality and cornering. My 135 will be used as an occasional DD with periodic rounds of autocross.
Can't comment much on the B12, but I can tell you that you will not get a better ride quality than the Ohlins R&T right out of the box.

The range of damping adjustments will allow to properly dial your 135i for both street, autocross and even track.

Eventually, you may find yourself upgrading the rear spring rates, but only after you have upgraded your rear subframe bushings.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #31
Spin_dry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Can't comment much on the B12, but I can tell you that you will not get a better ride quality than the Ohlins R&T right out of the box.

The range of damping adjustments will allow to properly dial your 135i for both street, autocross and even track.

Eventually, you may find yourself upgrading the rear spring rates, but only after you have upgraded your rear subframe bushings.
The RSFB get replaced next weekend. Good to hear that the ride quality in so exceptional with Ohlins. I'll most likely be in touch with you later into the spring to pick your brain a bit. I've also been hearing good things about Koni FSD's combined with BMW PS springs.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #32
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin_dry View Post
The RSFB get replaced next weekend. Good to hear that the ride quality in so exceptional with Ohlins. I'll most likely be in touch with you later into the spring to pick your brain a bit. I've also been hearing good things about Koni FSD's combined with BMW PS springs.
Hit us up when you are ready.

In our experience, Yellows are much better matched to a sport type spring. FSD is great with the OEM springs.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #33
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Any springs you recommend over the Swifts? I wasn't happy with those, so I'm running Eibachs, but I think I need a longer spring (they sent me a 6" spring for free, so I'm using that with a Swift helper spring to make up the difference - will probably switch to a 7" Eibach spring #400 with no helper). Thanks for any insight.
Kgolf31 has it right of course, but to answer the above parts of your question:

- Swifts generally have a bit more usable stroke in any given length and spring rate than other springs, which is a good thing if you are using short springs. In fact Swift gets out of a 6" spring what Eibach gets out of a 7" spring of the same rate. I am sold on Swift.

- Your 6" springs are way too short. Regardless of preload, you are in danger of coil binding them. The helper springs just make the stack height work but have no effect other than that. You don't mention what spring rate you are using, but if 400 lb/in the spring only has 91 mm stroke so you will never hit your bump stop before coil binding. Any stiffer 6" Eibach spring is even worse. Incidentally, you have to track down an Eibach Global catalog to get this info. We in North America apparently can't handle it, so it isn't in the North American catalog last time I checked.

- A 7" x 400 lb/in gets you 106 mm stroke, which is marginal. From a suspension travel point of view you would be better off with either a 6" x 60 N/mm or 7" x 60 N/mm Swift spring.
So just to verify, you think the 7" Swift spring at 392# is okay, even if I can't zero out preload due to wheel/perch clearance?

I was thinking about adding a wheel spacer to try and drop the perches all the way down and run an 8" spring, but I don't think I'll get enough clearance that way.
      08-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #34
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

So is there any objective data showing that these dampers are better?
Appreciate 0