BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
79bigmack
Rep
Drives: Thought

Is the Active Steering option worth it?

Hi all. This is post #3 for the noob here.

I am thinking about ordering a new 135i with it being a driver's car in mind. (6 spd, M sport + OME BMW perf suspension, exhaust, and basic reflash).

Question: Is the $1,550 Active Steering option worth it?? Does anyone have this? I have read a few positive reviews, but nothing in depth. And I haven't found any good videos except the basic promo thing from BMW.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Mack
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Not worth it. Atleast that is from what I gather from the very few posts I have read on it. I think it only makes sense for someone who does a lot of low speed (city) driving. I think for the Performance minded driver... its total junk. You don't see BMW offering it on ANY M car now do you?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
79bigmack
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Not worth it. ... its total junk. You don't see BMW offering it on ANY M car now do you?
I'm sure it's not "total junk" haha, but you do make a VERY good point. I think i'm going to take it off the build list. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

I have it and I am really impressed by it, I like it...
I think it would help during auto x sessions also.
Not sure what 1M has but the steering fluid reservoir tank looks like active steering one. Maybe all 1M's have it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

I have it, and I like it. I only drove a 1 without for a few minutes, so I really can't say for sure how different they are. I drove a 3 without, and didn't like the steering all that much, but could be because it's a bigger car.

As for why it's not on the M, there could be a million reasons - cost, room under the hood, driving purity - who knows? Keep in mind, too, that people's priorities differ. Some people want a pure driving experience, without any gadgets. They might even prefer not to have power steering. Then there are some of us who use this as a daily driver, and want an outstanding performance car, but also want comfort and convenience. You probably want to put the AS in that category.

When I was shopping for my 1'er, one of the techs at the local BMW dealer proudly showed me his new 1 with AS. I'm guessing he knows a thing or 2 about these cars, and he was touting it.

Anyway, do a search here - there's plenty of info on it. People who have never driven it will tell you it's junk. And some people who've driven it don't care for it. But the people who have it love it, and many say they won't order another car without.

Bottom line is, you're the only person who can decide what's right for you.
      10-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

I have a ZSP 128i without it and a CPO 328i wagon with it. If all of your driving is low speed, then as Dackleone says, it might be worth it. Or perhaps it might fit in with a loaded 5 or 7 series.

Otherwise, it seems to me to be the answer to a $1,500 question nobody asked. I'd never order it on a 1 or 3 series.

Also, alignment charges are higher with A/S.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
79bigmack
Rep

All good points. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try and find one in the area to drive before i make the final decision. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
PhoenixA7Z
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I have it on my '08 128I. So far its been very pragmatic for low speed driving. If you have it and want to see what its like driving without it, turn off your DSC completely by holding the DTC button in the center console for a few seconds. Doing so also disables active steering.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixA7Z View Post
I have it on my '08 128I. So far its been very pragmatic for low speed driving. If you have it and want to see what its like driving without it, turn off your DSC completely by holding the DTC button in the center console for a few seconds. Doing so also disables active steering.
Sweet! Never knew that. A friend was asking today if I like it (cause he doesn't have it on his 3 series), and I said yes, but that I had no idea what the car would be like without it. So it'll be fun to find out.
      11-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
hbiscuit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

i love it on my car

but ailgnments are stupid expensive
Appreciate 0