BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-05-2010, 01:44 AM   #1
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Crankshaft Pulley

Does anybody have intsalled NST or some other lightened crankshaft pulley for N54? Is it worth it? What do you think about it?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Six Pot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
I installed my NST about 2 months ago (Got one with a meth kit deal I made with a forum member). I noticed some gains but nothing compared to what you can do with the money else where. However the quality of the NST pulley was top notch and install was a breeze.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Pot View Post
I installed my NST about 2 months ago (Got one with a meth kit deal I made with a forum member). I noticed some gains but nothing compared to what you can do with the money else where. However the quality of the NST pulley was top notch and install was a breeze.
Thanks for shared info. But also can it damage somehow crankshaft or whatever, because I believe BMW could make it lighter also but they did it almost 4.5 kg why???? Maybe it is some kind balancer or smthng?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
bryans2k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: beamer

I would strongly urge you not to do it. It can end up costing you a lot of money.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433211

Bryan
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryans2k View Post
I would strongly urge you not to do it. It can end up costing you a lot of money.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433211

Bryan
Thanks
It was realy interesting because I had the pulley in my hands it felt realy heavy thing, but now I can see that better not to mess with this thing
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Six Pot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
I dont think that post explained anything, he doesnt even state what pulley manufacturer. There are multiple people running a NST pulley with zero issues. I've had mine on for months with no Ill affect. Im not saying that thier point of view is invalid, there is just no supporting data I can find saying that a "NST" pulley caused failure. I cant say the same when talking about another brand pulley
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
bryans2k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: beamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Pot View Post
I dont think that post explained anything, he doesnt even state what pulley manufacturer. There are multiple people running a NST pulley with zero issues. I've had mine on for months with no Ill affect. Im not saying that thier point of view is invalid, there is just no supporting data I can find saying that a "NST" pulley caused failure. I cant say the same when talking about another brand pulley
You missed the entire point of the thread. The point is regardless of the manufacturer if you change the weight you change the balance. The balance change will be for the worse and can end up destroying your engine from the added vibration. Your car wasn't built with this kind of constant vibration in mind.

I didn't mention a manufacturer because it's pointless. They will all do it to a different degree as every engine is balanced slightly different.

Why don't you buy lightweight tires next and don't bother balancing them after mounting them...

Just because they cause the entire assembly (tire+rim) to vibrate doesn't mean there is something wrong with the tires or rims. It just means the ENTIRE rotating assembly (tire+rim) needs to be balanced...

Bryan

Last edited by bryans2k; 10-05-2010 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

IF you opt to change the crank pulley... down the road you will (probably) have engine parts starting to fall off your motor. By engine parts I mean like broken oil pump, cracked fuel lines, alternator. Anything attached to the motor will ocilate and vibrate off the motor.

I would NOT change the crank pulley. There is a reason why its so heavy. Do you really think some aftermarket company knows more than BMW! ??? Afterall the word "motor" is BMW's middle name!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
You missed the entire point of the thread. The point is regardless of the manufacturer if you change the weight you change the balance. The balance change will be for the worse and can end up destroying your engine from the added vibration. Your car wasn't built with this kind of constant vibration in mind.

I didn't mention a manufacturer because it's pointless. They will all do it to a different degree as every engine is balanced slightly different.

Why don't you buy lightweight tires next and don't bother balancing them after mounting them...

Just because they cause the entire assembly (tire+rim) to vibrate doesn't mean there is something wrong with the tires or rims. It just means the ENTIRE rotating assembly (tire+rim) needs to be balanced...

Bryan

lightweight crank pulley's are not worth the risks for a modest gain in hp. instead, spend your money on something proven to make safe hp (meth, dp's, intercooler, tune, etc. etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF you opt to change the crank pulley... down the road you will (probably) have engine parts starting to fall off your motor. By engine parts I mean like broken oil pump, cracked fuel lines, alternator. Anything attached to the motor will ocilate and vibrate off the motor.

I would NOT change the crank pulley. There is a reason why its so heavy. Do you really think some aftermarket company knows more than BMW! ??? Afterall the word "motor" is BMW's middle name!

none of that is worth 5 whp or whatever the small gains are
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Six Pot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
How did I miss the point? The thread was worthless since there was no data. I think NST describes our engine and how the pulley works very well:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...?t=5661&page=5

Not saying your right or wrong, everyone has an opinion on the side affects of "ANY" mod. If you are looking for a small gain in power this is always an option.

Quote:

Bryan
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

I would not run an internally balanced straight 6 with an undamped pulley. Just because it runs for years doesn't mean you aren't putting pre-mature wear on your bearings....
Appreciate 0