BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

Bad Boost Solenoid n54?

Just received a PIERBURG boost solenoid from ecstuning.
I bought the OEM solenoid couple of days ago, and I put the mityvac on it, and it held vacuum just fine (losing very little vacuum). However, the one from ecstuning was losing vacuum in a matter of seconds (Similar when I was pressure testing my old pair of solenoids.) I tried it with the car on and off, and it was the same result.

Has anybody else ever had this issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

I have found the Piersburg (I got mine from FCP euro) ones to be of a slightly different construction than the oem ones. They look slightly different.

When I suck on the inlet with a syringe, it loses vacuum gradually (not within a few seconds though). I have 1 oem solenoid which does the same thing but the second oem solenoid on my car does not leak at all.

I am guessing that it is still within spec, but I think this is a case where you should just buy the BMW branded ones.

Did you run the piersburg one on your car?
      09-18-2015, 04:11 AM   #3
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
I have found the Piersburg (I got mine from FCP euro) ones to be of a slightly different construction than the oem ones. They look slightly different.

When I suck on the inlet with a syringe, it loses vacuum gradually (not within a few seconds though). I have 1 oem solenoid which does the same thing but the second oem solenoid on my car does not leak at all.

I am guessing that it is still within spec, but I think this is a case where you should just buy the BMW branded ones.

Did you run the piersburg one on your car?
I'm in the same situation as you..
I'm still receiving a 30FF code, but that could also be leaky DVs. The boost did feel stronger than before, but my gauge is still showing around the same target.
I'll be returning the PIERBURG solenoid, and just getting the BMW ones.
Have you done the boost solenoid test? (guide from n54tech)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 04:04 AM   #4
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by royallecaf View Post
I'm in the same situation as you..
I'm still receiving a 30FF code, but that could also be leaky DVs. The boost did feel stronger than before, but my gauge is still showing around the same target.
I'll be returning the PIERBURG solenoid, and just getting the BMW ones.
Have you done the boost solenoid test? (guide from n54tech)
In my case its a 30FE overboost. Only happened at the track. The design should mean that it should never overboost with leaking vac stuff but some people report that changing the solenoids fixed it. Hopefully its not the wastegates seizing up at high temperatures!

The car drives fine otherwise and haven't reproduced the issue since. I never installed the pierburg one. Haven't done the test since the wastegates actuate fine. Ordered a pair of BMW ones cos I will just replace all the vac lines and boost solenoids as preventative maintenence. In my case, its not worth the headache of being cheap and dealing with it later when it goes wrong again.