BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
dans135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Space gray M options

Air conditioning air from vents stops and starts

While having the air on , the air I notice (fans) slow way down then back up again from time to time. Is this normal? Its it part of the temp regulation?
Thank you!
Dan
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
hyphy1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Usually happens when coming to a stop or accelerating, right? If so, normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
dans135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Space gray M options

Thats a good question! I actually didnt notice if that was the case. I will get back to you on that. Thank you for the help and quick response!

Dan
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Hobiecatman
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i 2012

Just my experience which may help someone in future. I have a 2011 128i from new, after the first year the A/C would smell, of course I kept paying for cleaner but would return, My Nissan would do the same but it would stay fresh much longer so reported to BMW but they say its normal, use the fresh vent more often, put on full heat with windows down etc etc. THE FAN WOULD ALTERNATE IN SPEED as well occasionally but not with car speed just on its own, again they found nothing. 2 years this went on till finally my wife says the A/C does not work on the passenger side only. She was right, I took it in and they said its a common fault with a leak in the evap under the dash. The whole dash has to come out. sure enough Freon was low.
After a week and warranty work it is better than new, no smell ever develops at all and the fan is a constant speed. It would seem its been leaking since car was about 1 year old. the smell was the leak which is why it would not go away. If its a common fault how does no one in service know the tell tail signs!!! If someone complains that they walk around in a circle check if both legs are the same length!!!!
Just may help someone in future.
Appreciate 0