BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
jwellsiii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i SG 6MT

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
Death, Taxes... and the Long Crank

Ding! Ding! Ding! I got lucky, so I thought I would share my recent experience, as things change @ BMW with new parts and procedures.

First off, if you suspect long cranks then that's what they are. We start our cars too many times not to notice. Don't worry too much because it happens to all of us. But, once you get your first "my god, I don't think this thing will start this morning". Take it in.

The new Peter Pan service center was great: took all of 10 minutes to drop off the car and get a loaner (328i).

The service center will:
1. Replace your software with the new software
2. Let the car sit overnight
3. Start it in the morning and run a pressure test. This is where you have to win the lottery. Mine had the long crank, and threw a code!
4. Next, your case goes to BMWNA where they will sit on it for a few days, hoping that a miracle will arrive and they don't have to replace your pump. In my case, the miracle never arrived and I got the new 943 pump. Once they decide, it is about 2 more hours to get your car back.
5. Takes all of about 10 minutes to pick up the car.

Overall, Peter Pan was great and the experience was mostly painless. EXCEPT: driving that crap 328i. What a crummy car. Can't stand the dash, the wheel, and the whole car feels terrible compared to our 1's. Each day I drove the 328 I was convinced I'd never drive another BMW again. But, now that my 1'er is back the experience is forgotten and I can't imagine driving anything else!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
jwellsiii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i SG 6MT

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
For sure! First one gone at 4,800 (MY10 9/1). So, I'll probably be back by the end of summer.

Car suspension is totally modded. No questions asked... just got a "cool car" when dropping it off and "you've got a really nice car there" when picking it up.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
2thDoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Shelby GT500

So, my '10 is in for the same - long cranks followed by engine malfunction light and reduced power. They replaced my HPFP back in December @ about 4500 miles, now has about 9500. BMWNA decided today that the solution is a new fuel rail. Should be interesting to see how this pans out. The replacement pump in December was the old pump. Will keep all informed. Couple more days in a 328...
      04-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

taking MY08 in for third time in regards to the ENGINE FAIL light this thursday morning.
Demanding some sort of reparations for having to take the car in 3 times for this issue
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
2thDoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Shelby GT500

Yep...mine spent the past two weeks at the dealer so BMW NA could tell them to replace a sensor on the fuel rail and reprogram. Picked it up yesterday AM, felt weird and underpowered. Returned immediately to dealer and SA drove for a minute. Of course it was back to normal. Went to work, home and back to work this AM. Reduced power and engine malfunction light. Straight back to dealer. Maybe BMW NA will actually authorize the right repair this time.

Joy? Joy, my ass..
      04-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
Yep...mine spent the past two weeks at the dealer so BMW NA could tell them to replace a sensor on the fuel rail and reprogram. Picked it up yesterday AM, felt weird and underpowered. Returned immediately to dealer and SA drove for a minute. Of course it was back to normal. Went to work, home and back to work this AM. Reduced power and engine malfunction light. Straight back to dealer. Maybe BMW NA will actually authorize the right repair this time.

Joy? Joy, my ass..
Thats terrible. Just took mine in for first HPFP fail (31k Feb 08' build). Best part is the new jacka$$ owner decided to do away with loaner cars. They keep like 6 or 7 of them where they used to have 20+. Absolute crap
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Death, Taxes... and the Long Crank
Three things I try to avoid.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

took mine in AGAIN..this is what i heard back....."the codes were different from previous. HPFP is working fine, we are replacing the cam levers which caused an abnormal wear per another SI bulletin"

Anyone had this done?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
ModlessG
Private
Rep
Drives:

I was just getting on the highway and the car dies sputters and after a while it restarts. What infuriates me is I took it to the dealer a month ago because of slow starts. They said it was not the hpfp well I guess they were wrong.
Appreciate 0