BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Accident damages.

Yea worst nightmare came true. I rear ended someone this weekend. Not so happy about it. Steering wheel and passenger side airbags deployed, front bumper was messed up and the car was steaming after i hit them. Car wouldn't restart and needed to be towed... greeeat. Going to find out tomorrow the total damages once the claims adjuster takes a look.

Main questions are #1 has anyone had a similar accident, what was the total amount of damages? Since my car is DINAN tuned is that going to be lost once they put her all back together?

#2 do they completely replace the steering wheel since the airbag deployed.

I'm trying to see the silver lining here and maybe possibly upgrading a few parts with the insurance money. That wouldn't be any type of fraud would it?

List of visible damages:
1. Cracked windshield, going to need to be completely replaced, cop thought i hit my head and wasn't wearing my seatbelt, honestly no idea why it cracked, but it did. If he only knew that damn annoying sound when the seat belt isn't on and he would know i was wearing it.
2. steering wheel and passenger air bag deployed.
3. Front bumper dislodged and banged up... honestly doesn't look terrible, but my guess will be replaced.
4. Hood dented and painted chipped right below the emblem where it latches.
5. noticed bracket was broken under the hood( i know basically useless info w/o pics.. dont have any right now.. maybe 2morrow.
6. car steamed after hitting, guessing punctured radiator or something to do w/ the radiator.
7. Car wouldnt start.. who knows

all in all ...Today is a sad day.
Attached Images

Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior

Last edited by Smac355; 04-28-2010 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: addingn photos
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

bracket

see photo i jacked from another thread... circled area is what was broken.
Attached Images

Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
skiguy1981
Mike is cool
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

sorry bro that sucks don't forget to put up some pics of the damage.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Bdh821
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

I thought my last accident wasnt bad. 16,600 dollars later of insurance money I was quite surprised. Sorry to hear about the accident. In the end, as long as you're okay which it sounds you are, it's just a car and can be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

verdict is about 10K in damages... will post pics soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 04:51 AM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Glad you weren't hurt. How did it happen? Did someone stop suddenly in front of you? I see so many cars on the road with non working brake lights these days.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

i guess traffic just stopped short i don't really know... i just slammed on the brakes and skidded into them, shit happens i guess. I added photos to original post. Good thing is I'm a Vorsteiner CF Hood now... gotta see the silver lining in these things.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

were you tailgating?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcho View Post
were you tailgating?
does it matter now??
To OP, sorry to hear what happened....
I know how it feels......
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
does it matter now??
To OP, sorry to hear what happened....
I know how it feels......
just sayin.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

good to hear you're unscathed, something as simple as this really shows the difference in brakes and reaction times. a slightly faster reaction time (not saying you were slow) could have saved the hood, and possibly a few other aspects.

again good tohear you're ok though
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

it is painful to see a car like this

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #13
otterdoc
Mean Little Otter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I pulled a canine hello on a pickup truck with my old 330ci a few years back. Radiator bled out; headlight, hood, quarterpanel , bumper damaged. No airbags, still had to be towed. Total came to a bit over 14k. State Farm paid out without a complaint for the BMW Certified Collision Center in my area. Car looked great when it was finished and I had it for another 2 years after that.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Made me feel like sh*t for about three months. Having your baby back in good repair will help. Just check your panel gaps before you drive away from the shop!
      05-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I'd be surprised if that was only $10k. I would have guessed 15.

How did the windshield have an impact up high on the driver's side like that?? It looks like something wound up hitting it from the outside in the accident.

Btw, sorry it happened. They're called 'accidents' for a reason, and I had one that I was at fault with too, back in the day. Best part was that nobody was remotely hurt. I hope you learned a lesson from it, as I did. Also, hope nobody was injured. That looks like it was a good wallop.. like maybe 20-25mph.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #15
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I'd be surprised if that was only $10k. I would have guessed 15.

How did the windshield have an impact up high on the driver's side like that?? It looks like something wound up hitting it from the outside in the accident.

Btw, sorry it happened. They're called 'accidents' for a reason, and I had one that I was at fault with too, back in the day. Best part was that nobody was remotely hurt. I hope you learned a lesson from it, as I did. Also, hope nobody was injured. That looks like it was a good wallop.. like maybe 20-25mph.

yea 10K was the 1st round estimate...we'll see what it all comes out at the End... 20-25 sounds about right. The windshield is still a mystery of why it cracked i dont know if something inside flew around and hit it or what. Right now the most expensive fixes are the Hood, bumper, headlights, steering wheel, airbags, headliner... crazy how it just all keeps adding up and up.

I def am being more careful now. Good thing is am getting the Vorsteiner hood, and BMW Perf. Steering Wheel(non-electronic) out of it. Also have Dinan intake and oil cooler sitting in my garage, can't wait to get my car back and slap those suckers on. Will keep everyone updated.
Appreciate 0