BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
MysticblueX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Stock Air Filter

Worth cleaning it (rinse with water & dry) or just buy a new one from the dealership? I think they are what like $20?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

The factory filter is not designed to be cleaned and should be replaced. This is true of every factory air cleaner that I can think of. The filter is generally made of paper, and will not maintain its consistency if wetted and dried. Think of trying to reuse a piece of construction paper or cardboard that you had written on with a pen by soaking it in ink solvent and drying it. If it doesn't fall apart it will be very brittle once dried.

Only certain aftermarket filters are reusable. Of those that are, most of them require reapplication of an oil as well. For instance, I believe K&N makes a filter that drops into the factory airbox and can be cleaned, dried, re-oiled, then reused. They make a special spray can cleaner and spray can oil that will last many cleanings. A certain care has to be taken not to over oil the filter, so you need to read the instructions carefully. I use K&N filters with my own dual cone intake, so I don't have to buy two $30 filters every 6 months.
      11-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
denfion
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

My car is due for service too, and I believe the dealer will replace the oem filter (my 40000k service). I'm thinking whether I should replace it to burger dual cone intake before I go to the dealership, but I'm not sure what will the dealership do for the aftermarket air filter.

Will they just ignore the filter, or what do they normally do? Should I bring the car in with oem first and let them replace it, then I swap it to aftermarket afterwards?
      11-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

if the dci isnt in now i wouldnt tempt fate, certain dealers will frown upon it and the diy install is mechanically simple, though time consuming to get the rear filter seated. If you want to go dci id do it after the dealer visit. A dci is about as simple a mod as it gets, but its also quite "shouty" visually unlike say a fmic. My feeling with mods: dont rub it in the dealers face and you should be OK. Theyre not out to get you, but theyre also not blind.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
denfion
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats
if the dci isnt in now i wouldnt tempt fate, certain dealers will frown upon it and the diy install is mechanically simple, though time consuming to get the rear filter seated. If you want to go dci id do it after the dealer visit. A dci is about as simple a mod as it gets, but its also quite "shouty" visually unlike say a fmic. My feeling with mods: dont rub it in the dealers face and you should be OK. Theyre not out to get you, but theyre also not blind.
Thanks for your suggestion.