BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
kleach18
Essayons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Cooling mode

I was looking through the N55 engine PDF and found this.

Quote:
Engine cooling

The engine cooling system utilizes an electric coolant pump. The heat management determines the current cooling requirement and controls the cooling system accordingly. Under certain circumstances, the coolant pump can be completely switched off, e.g. to rapidly heat up the coolant during the warm-up phase. The coolant pump continues to operate when the hot engine is shut down. The coolant capacity can therefore be varied regardless of the engine speed. In addition to the characteristic map thermostat, the heat management makes it possible to use various characteristic maps for controlling the coolant pump. In this way the engine control unit can adapt the engine temperature to the driving conditions.

The engine control unit regulates the following temperature ranges:
• 108°C/226°F = Economy mode
• 104°C/219°F = Normal mode
• 95°C/203°F = High mode
• 90°C/194°F = High mode and control with characteristic map thermostat

The engine management sets a higher temperature (108°C) when, based on vehicle operation, the engine control unit detects ”Economy” mode. The engine is operated with relatively low fuel requirements in this temperature range. The internal engine friction is reduced at higher temperatures. The increase in temperature therefore results in low fuel consumption in the low load range. The driver wishes to utilize the optimum power developed by the engine in “High and control with characteristic map thermostat” mode. For this purpose, the temperature in the cylinder head is reduced to 90°C. This temperature reduction promotes improved volumetric efficiency, thus resulting in an increased engine torque. Adapted to the relevant driving situation, the engine control unit can now regulate a defined operating range. In this way it is possible to influence the fuel consumption and power output through the cooling system.
I wonder if there is a way to change the settings... It seems like mine is always in economy mode(runs at 225 all the time)
/ 135i - M-Sport / 6-Speed / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMS Intake / JB4 Stage 2 ISO + Flex Fuel Wires / BMS 3.5in Down Pipe / CP-E Charge Pipe / Walbro 255 in-line fuel pump / BMS H8 AE / BMS SSK / APEX EC-7's with Nitto NT05's / COBB Tuning Sport Springs / Koni Yellows / Wagner Evo 1 / Blacklines / iCarbon Rear Diffuser / BMW Performance shift knob/boot / BMW Performance Steering Wheel /
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
kleach18
Essayons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

On the next page of the PDF file. I'm sure most of you have already read through it, I thought it was cool though.

System Protection
If the coolant or the engine oil overheat during operation, certain vehicle functions are influenced to the effect that more energy is available to the engine cooling system.

These measures are divided over two operating modes:
• Component protection
- Coolant temperature between 117°C/242°F and 124°C/255°F
- Engine oil temperature between 150°C/300°F and 157°C/314°F
- Result: The output of the air conditioning system
(up to 100%) and of the engine is reduced
• Emergency
- Coolant temperature between 125°C/257°F and 129°C/264°F
- Engine oil temperature between 158°C/316°F and 163°C/325°F
- Result: The power output of the engine is reduced
(up to 90%)
/ 135i - M-Sport / 6-Speed / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMS Intake / JB4 Stage 2 ISO + Flex Fuel Wires / BMS 3.5in Down Pipe / CP-E Charge Pipe / Walbro 255 in-line fuel pump / BMS H8 AE / BMS SSK / APEX EC-7's with Nitto NT05's / COBB Tuning Sport Springs / Koni Yellows / Wagner Evo 1 / Blacklines / iCarbon Rear Diffuser / BMW Performance shift knob/boot / BMW Performance Steering Wheel /
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Pretty cool!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

When you get your jb4 that will allow you to run a Max cool option all the time. I have not tried it yet. Will post those vids soon bud
Appreciate 0