BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Claying wears me out more than anything else. I parked my X5 under a tree that was dripping sap and I think I lost a year of my life just dealing with claying it all off. Miserable. After you're done claying, you have to polish it all out, then apply the wax again.
You may want to look into using some of the Nanoskin Autoscrub products, specifically their wash mitt. It makes the process of "claying" (removing contaminants embedded in the paint) much more tolerable.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/autoscrub-wash-mitt.html

If you use a DA polisher, you can also opt to use the Nanoskin pad, which makes it go even faster/easier, imo.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/nanos...b-pad-kit.html
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Tried out the Nanoskin Fine Sponge today with Chemical Guys Luber as my lubricant...

All I can say is... WOW.

Because of its size, it's a lot easier to handle and use than clay... In fact, it was so easy to use, I made two cleaning passes over the car... And I'll probably "clay" more often as well.

Highly recommended.
      09-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
yakuza70
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Tried out the Nanoskin Fine Sponge today with Chemical Guys Luber as my lubricant...

All I can say is... WOW.

Because of its size, it's a lot easier to handle and use than clay... In fact, it was so easy to use, I made two cleaning passes over the car... And I'll probably "clay" more often as well.

Highly recommended.
Yeah, tried out the Nanoskin sponge yesterday too. So much easier to use and faster than a regular clay bar! Other than getting to small, tight spaces, this is a no-brainer when it comes to clay bars.
      09-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #26
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuza70 View Post
Yeah, tried out the Nanoskin sponge yesterday too. So much easier to use and faster than a regular clay bar! Other than getting to small, tight spaces, this is a no-brainer when it comes to clay bars.
There aren't any small tight spaces I can think of on a 1er other than the door handle area... And I only sponged all of the horizontal panels (hood, roof, trunk, bumpers) since they had all of the fallout issues... The vertical panels on my car are still smooth.
      09-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #27
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Did you still need to polish after using the Nanoskin?
I didn't think the car needed it... There wasn't any noticeable or appreciable marring... I went straight to the Powerlock sealant.
      09-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #28
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you still need to polish after using the Nanoskin?
It depends on the state of the paint after you've pulled the contaminants out of it. Typically, people expect *some* amount of polishing post-clay.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #29
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I know about claying ... this in Nanoskin though
It goes the same for the Nanoskin.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #30
jester17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Can anyone suggest a good polish, and a bonnet material for a 6" buffer, that I'd use after the Nanoskin and Chemical Guys Luber treatment?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #31
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester17 View Post
Can anyone suggest a good polish, and a bonnet material for a 6" buffer, that I'd use after the Nanoskin and Chemical Guys Luber treatment?
That depends on the condition of your paint. If you don't have any scratches, you won't need a correcting polish- I would skip straight to a seal. However, you most likely will, so I would suggest:

Only light scratching- Meguiar's M205 with Meguiar's Soft Buff Polishing Pad

Moderate Scratching- Meguiar's M105 followed up with M205 (to finish down any light scratches) with the same pad

follow up with a quality sealant like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, let cure for 24 hours and top with a wax if you want extra physical protection for the paint.

Finish with your choice of quick detailing spray if you want the finish to be extra-slick.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #32
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Clay does NOT harm the paint. Just use a good lube and wax after.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #33
Texan Engineer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i + ///M Sport Pkg

I have a 2013 Carbon Black 128i myself (just arrived home Monday in fact) from CA/European Delivery. About 500 mi on the clock, and I clayed it right after its first wash. As others have said, just because it's new doesn't mean the paint is in great shape. Mine (and yours too) spent countless days waiting for transport, then however many days at the dealer too (none for me, but it did have a not super nice ride on the truck from Cali). Check it with the plastic bag test - if you can feel the sandpaper effect with bare hands, your paint DEFINITELY needs clay.

Claying with good technique/good lube helps a lot to minimize swirling. I did mine yesterday, and the only swirls were spots where I got careless or ran out of lube. None of them were very deep though, but either way I would polish right after. I don't think a machine buffer is strictly necessary, since I don't have one at the moment. I used Meg's Ultimate Polish since there wasn't anything to buff out really, couldn't find any swirls or scratches under strong lighting when I was done.

Conclusion: OK to clay, probably necessary in fact. Check to make sure, and do use proper technique. Polish not absolutely necessary after, but a good idea. Don't forget to wax (but you knew that of course)!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #34
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Engineer View Post
the only swirls were spots where I got careless or ran out of lube.
You shouldn't use a circular motion to begin with, only a linear motion and in the same direction the car drives...
      09-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #35
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc View Post
Clay does NOT harm the paint. Just use a good lube and wax after.
Clay *can* harm the paint by introducing light marring depnding on the hardness of the clay and the contaminants in the paint.

As far as the rest of your comment, if that works for you, go for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #36
Texan Engineer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You shouldn't use a circular motion to begin with, only a linear motion and in the same direction the car drives...
According to Mike Phillips from Autogeek, directionality of the clay bar doesn't matter (can't post up the video right now, at work). I personally will concur with that, I don't see any differences in the end result.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #37
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Engineer View Post
According to Mike Phillips from Autogeek, directionality of the clay bar doesn't matter (can't post up the video right now, at work). I personally will concur with that, I don't see any differences in the end result.
Okay.

I was always taught to wash, wax, clay, etc. in a linear motion... You can't get swirls if you never move you hand in a circular motion.
      09-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #38
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay.
I was always taught to wash, wax, clay, etc. in a linear motion... You can't get swirls if you never move you hand in a circular motion.
I was taught that also, although what would have been "swirls" will just be "streaks". Either way, the modern consensus seems to be as Texan mentioned- today's clays are supple enough that any marring they may leave isn't affected by the direction of the clay.

This is great for us, as it makes the entire process a little more simple.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #39
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
today's clays are supple enough that any marring they may leave isn't affected by the direction of the clay.
Maybe even more so with the nanoskin sponge: I got zero marring... At least none that I noticed.
      09-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #40
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe even more so with the nanoskin sponge: I got zero marring... At least none that I noticed.
I've experienced that also- so far, I'm very happy with the way all of the nanoskin products perform.

Just be sure not to place it in contact with anything that can get hot, such as a wrench on a hot summer day, etc. The tacky side melts easily should it come in contact with a piece of metal that's been sitting out in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #41
Texan Engineer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
I was taught that also, although what would have been "swirls" will just be "streaks". Either way, the modern consensus seems to be as Texan mentioned- today's clays are supple enough that any marring they may leave isn't affected by the direction of the clay.

This is great for us, as it makes the entire process a little more simple.

^same. I was taught that originally as well, but circular motion does seem to work ok for me. And it's indeed faster
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #42
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Did clay my wife's 3 years old Mazda CX-9 (brillant black, as delicate as Jet Black), I did clay it 2 years ago without polish and did not noticed many swirls. Now after 3 years of (light) abuse (young kids, car washes), I decided to do it all. I did clay it (enough lube) then hand polished it (Meguiars Utlimate Polish) then applied a layer of Meguiars Techwax NXT and I am very happy about the result. There are still a few very light swirls here and there but all together it is very smooth, very uniform and nice too look at in direct sunlight (forgot what it was to have a really clean black car).