BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Alignment after suspension upgrade ???

Say I am considering doing coilovers. I would install them myself. Then would require an alignment.

Those of you who have been down this path, did you take your car to the dealer for alignment?

"Mr Dealer, I installed coilovers, please void my suspension warranty and give me an alignment."

Or did you find a local shop so as to retain your warranty? I admit I am skeptical about letting a non-bmw shop do the alignment on this car, just perceive that they will not do it to spec. (weight bags, etc)

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I don't think any BMW dealer would refuse to align your car as long as you pay. Also, the rest of the suspension components are very robust and should last for a long time and work well with the coil over; and I don't think that you have to worry about any warranty issue with the suspension.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
I don't think any BMW dealer would refuse to align your car as long as you pay. Also, the rest of the suspension components are very robust and should last for a long time and work well with the coil over; and I don't think that you have to worry about any warranty issue with the suspension.
+1

I'm all about warranty retention, but the suspension warranty doesn't bother me one bit. The struts/shocks would be one of/the only items of concern, but that would be irrelevant in the case of coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Say I am considering doing coilovers. I would install them myself. Then would require an alignment.

Those of you who have been down this path, did you take your car to the dealer for alignment?

"Mr Dealer, I installed coilovers, please void my suspension warranty and give me an alignment."

Or did you find a local shop so as to retain your warranty? I admit I am skeptical about letting a non-bmw shop do the alignment on this car, just perceive that they will not do it to spec. (weight bags, etc)

Thoughts?
A alignment is required everytime you install aftermarket suspension or adjust suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Down to the tee.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I would personally take it to an indy race shop for alignment/corner balancing.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
HighQ
Quality is everything
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: you mad

Would rather not give my money to a dealer and spent it with a shop that's involved with racing. They will be able to align just as good (depending on equipment) and will be able to help you with the difficult task of fine tuning the coil-overs.
Appreciate 0