08-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #23
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, F30 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post
Just read in full again and realize you were looking at an Evora S before this - I did the same! There was a black 2011 Evora S and in the end, I needed more practicality than that for it to be my only car - I figure the handling and power would have been superb (the seller's friend just gave me a ride - wouldn't blame him for not allowing a test drive) but it would be such a cop magnet and potentially a nightmare to live with even just driving it around town on the weekends. Not to mention the much higher asking price but owning a modern Lotus is on my bucket list (maybe the new V6 Exige S when it finally becomes road-legal in North America)

I guess the motorized seat is still too high at its lowest setting? The bucket Performance seat looks amazing though
It's strange, in Aus, the Evora is so unknown that it is very rare, yet depreciates like a rock. I could have got a 2011 Evora S for a similar price to the 2011 1M (and they started at 1.6x the price when new!). I've read all about the sublime mid-engined handling, it really seems like it's the closest thing to an Exige with 4 seats. However you're absolutely right about it being a cop magnet and attention magnet ( and unfortunately not just from the hot chicks ). Apparently they attract more attention than Lambos, Ferraris and even McLarens in certain circles and you will have to spend a lot of time talking to curious people, which is not really my style.

The other factor is that it's not a mass produced car in state of the art facilities, so tends to have issues. The company also seems to be in financial dire straights, and may fold in the next few years. Having said that, in my research I already found the factory workshop manuals for it for free online, so it could be a great tinker's car, apart from the unconventional space age materials that they use.

At the end of the day, the fact that the resale value sucks, insurance would be a nightmare, the unwanted attention it brings, parts would be hard to come by and the potential to be a money pit of problems just meant I had to drop the dream. Maybe if I strike it rich someday and can have an airplane hanger of cars...

They really look sweet though, here's my favorite colour combo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #24
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Here your option is to source a manual/non-electric (driver) OEM seat which sits ~2cm lower

Looking at the trace file for the 1MDSC it does indeed not seem to have any DCC specific parameters. DCC sounds very useful for DD though, have you had a look at regular DSC trace for identifying any parameters?.
Yeah, I can lower the seat all the way down and headroom is fine, I just feel like the car is not as low down as I'm used to (the roofline seems to be at a height closer to small SUVs than Ferraris), and I get the impression I'm sitting too upright like driving a bus. I would have much preferred a more reclined driving position. I'll probably get used to it.

NCS Dummy does not seem to have translated many parameters for the M1DSC. I will have to take a look at what the normal DSC module does and also compare the M3DSC, but it's not looking promising. I don't know why they didn't make it standard - cruise control that does not stop you from speeding downhills is not really very effective is it?

Last edited by acediac; 08-19-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #25
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Congrats and welcome mate.

PS: The easiest way to get rid of the Efficient Dynamics "suggested gear" is to always drive with M Mode on.
Harlequin! Thanks for the welcome, I've also just joined the Brizzie BMW club and been reading a lot of your exploits on the forums, looking forward to meeting you and having a chat.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #26
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Congrats and welcome from Oz.
There is still of plenty of us original 1M owners still on the Australian forum..
All the forum members seem to have VO cars!
Thanks for the welcome, Zuzu.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #27
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Now here is a man with some impeccable taste. Welcome to the forums!!

I'm a Melbournite and one who bought a 1M new and have kept it. And like you sir, I also came from an R33 GTR a few back, only difference is I bought another one cos I couldn't stand not having one. They're just silly fun, but you know that.

You're going to love the 1M, and like you, I struggle to do the recommended shifts, partly because she makes the most spine tingling howl at about 3K. It's not raucous or harsh, it's just a quality, tuned, howl and I just want to hear it as much as I want to eat cake.

My only..... only...... complaint was with the height of the seat. For those who are not aware, all Aus cars came standard with elec seats so there was no option. I searched for ages trying to find some manual seats but that was never really going to happen

Strangely, I was always adjusting the driver's seat squab tilted back thinking this would give an impression of the seat being lower, and I was never happy. I only just recently tilted is completely forward and then reclined the back rest and the height now is somehow miles better. Seems lower and I'm much more comfortable.

Give it a try. Welcome again, she's a little angry thing so be respectful.

Last edited by Goombeh; 08-20-2014 at 05:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:56 PM   #28
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post

Now here is a man with some impeccable taste. Welcome to the forums!!

I'm a Melbournite and one who bought a 1M new and have kept it. And like you sir, I also came from an R33 GTR a few back, only difference is I bought another one cos I couldn't stand not having one. They're just silly fun, but you now that.

You're going to love the 1M, and like you, I struggle to do the recommended shifts, partly because she makes the most spine tingling howl at about 3K. It's not raucous or harsh, it's just a quality, tuned, howl and I just want to hear it as much as I want to eat cake.

My only..... only...... complaint was with the height of the seat. For those who are not aware, all Aus cars came standard with elec seats so there was no option. I searched for ages trying to find some manual seats but that was never really going to happen

Strangely, I was always adjusting the driver's seat squab tilted back thinking this would give an impression of the seat being lower, and I was never happy. I only just recently tilted is completely forward and then reclined the back rest and the height now is somehow miles better. Seems lower and I'm much more comfortable.

Give it a try. Welcome again, she's a little angry thing so be respectful.
Yay, fellow GTR33'er! Yeah, I have my seat squab all the way down and tilted all the way back, so that the front of the seat can support under the thighs. Ideally I would have been able to recline the seat back a lot to sit in a more horizontal position Formula 1 style but unfortunately the gear lever is then too far forward to reach (even though I'm 183cm). I had a much more comfortable driving position in the GTR, although maybe I've had 10 years to adjust to that. I will try your suggestion but it seems counter intuitive to me. These are very tall cars, aren't they? On the road I'm actually seated higher than other sedans and compact cars!

Don't worry about being respectful to this car, I haven't even used the M button and MDM mode very much yet. Can't afford to prang it.

Last edited by acediac; 08-19-2014 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:00 AM   #29
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acediac View Post
Yay, fellow GTR33'er! Yeah, I have my seat squab all the way down and tilted all the way back, so that the front of the seat can support under the thighs. Ideally I would have been able to recline the seat back a lot to sit in a more horizontal position Formula 1 style but unfortunately the gear lever is then too far forward to reach (even though I'm 183cm). I had a much more comfortable driving position in the GTR, although maybe I've had 10 years to adjust to that. I will try your suggestion but it seems counter intuitive to me. These are very tall cars, aren't they? On the road I'm actually seated higher than other sedans and compact cars!

Don't worry about being respectful to this car, I haven't even used the M button and MDM mode very much yet. Can't afford to prang it.
I know what you mean, it didn't make any sense to me either so I drove it around for two years with my seat angled back and just not getting used to it.

I only just recently played with it and I can live with it now. Still not as low as I'd like, seem to sit on the carpet in the GTR, but it's much better and I'm no longer looking at BMW performance seats.

Must indulge me also and post a pic of your GTR.. never get tired of looking at them.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #30
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Welcome aboard and congrats on the purchase !
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:13 AM   #31
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

No...a lot of us are still here. The ones that sold live through us vicariously.

I have been tempted to cheat by the Alfa 4c, the M2, Cayman GTS, and the upcoming Porsche 718, but why eat hamburger when you have steak at home?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:28 AM   #32
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Congrats and welcome here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
Congrats on your 1M purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yulook View Post
another 1m in brissi
Welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Blue View Post
Welcome aboard and congrats on the purchase !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
No...a lot of us are still here. The ones that sold live through us vicariously.

I have been tempted to cheat by the Alfa 4c, the M2, Cayman GTS, and the upcoming Porsche 718, but why eat hamburger when you have steak at home?

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I've been lurking in the forums for the past couple of months while I decided on what to get, so I recognize a few names.

Dee Pee, you are in the States, you don't know how lucky you have it as far as cars go. I should know - I lived and worked in NYC for 5 years (admittedly not the best place to own a car). For the price of 1 car here in Oz, you can buy 4 equivalently nice cars and still have plenty leftover for steak every day of the year!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 05:01 AM   #33
1MOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M AW & F15X5 40d & M2C HS

Congrats and welcome mate from another Oz 1M driver.

Alpine White is the best 1M color! How do I know? I've got one. Don't let those boys with their mandarin peel 1M tell you anything otherwise.

Enjoy your ride, had mine for nearly 2 years now and still loving it.
      08-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #34
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOz View Post
Alpine White is the best 1M color! How do I know? I've got one. Don't let those boys with their mandarin peel 1M tell you anything otherwise.
Pah! Nice try Quang... You know that VO is the best colour..
      08-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #35
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Thanks man, loved your videos on the skidpan. I think I wanna do that too!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #36
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Quote:

Team Fanta FTW!! Come on , you have to like the O a little, every 1M has a little vitamin C i.e. the stitching (Actually I don't discriminate, I like all the colors)

Welcome aboard OP, forget the Lotus; at the end of the day no other car for the $ is going to put a bigger smile on your face than the 1M..well, the R33 is pretty darn nice too…BMW got it right because it wasn't over thought. Enjoy it!!

BTW I am a 2nd owner, only regret is that I didn't try harder to get one when new.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #37
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Pah! Nice try Quang... You know that VO is the best colour..
True...

Quang loves the pearly whites, due to his profession..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #38
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Quote:
True...

But of course! Those VO's have ginger-vitis. Go team AW
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #39
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
Quote:
Hey guys,

I finally joined the 1M club from the land of Oz last week , but from reading the forums it looks like people are already all partied out after 3 years and are off chasing newer cars...
Hey man, congratulations and welcome!

Enjoy getting to know your new to you 1M

What is the suggested gear thing you are talking about? My car does not make any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 12:59 AM   #40
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
What is the suggested gear thing you are talking about? My car does not make any suggestions.
Efficient Dynamics stuff... It's disabled in US Spec cars. When in normal driving mode (no M button) near where it shows v=xxMi or remaining dist until empty etc it has an up or down arrow and a recommended gear for current speed and driving style...

(Not actually a 1M cluster but same deal)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:26 AM   #41
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
- The "suggested" gear is always way higher than I expect! It seems want to drive like a big block V8, revving at just 1500 rpm! A huge change from the GTR33 where I'd need to be at 3000 just to get anywhere. (Having said that, redline was 8000... )
That's the "gearshift point display": see http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=13
      08-23-2014, 06:46 AM   #42
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
Welcome aboard OP, forget the Lotus; at the end of the day no other car for the $ is going to put a bigger smile on your face than the 1M..well, the R33 is pretty darn nice too…BMW got it right because it wasn't over thought. Enjoy it!!
I dunno, the Lotus is very sexy and has the engine in the right place (mid engined). It's supposed to handle almost as well as an Exige and has 4 seats! Anyway, I've made my choice, maybe will look at it again in the future if I make a lot more money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
Hey man, congratulations and welcome!

Enjoy getting to know your new to you 1M

If you want to see exactly what it looks like on a 1M, look at page 6 of the BMW_1M_Technical_Training.pdf (credit to Artemis's Manuals post ) you can see the Up and Down arrow on the top right of the bottom middle display - that is what changes to a recommended gear number when it thinks you should change. Up and Down means you are in the "correct" gear. It will "suggest" 5th gear at 40 mph which is like 1500rpm! Not used to that, coming from a high revving car. Of course, it's only a suggestion if you want to run most efficiently.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #43
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M, E90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94
Quote:
True...

But of course! Those VO's have ginger-vitis. Go team AW
Welcome OP. White it is
Appreciate 0