BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2008, 05:15 AM   #23
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgey View Post
Went for a test drive today at Northshore BMW. Have to say, it is a really good car. (I did stall the car a few times. Forgot that there is no auto clutch like the DSG box I have in my GTI. The clutch was really light and the take up point was very low down. (The last manual I drove months and months ago was the Porsche 964 with a really heavy clutch, and a take up point really high up.
Someone else mentioned this but my clutch engages about 3/4 the way out, as in just before you take you foot off it. I prefer this as you only have to depress it 1/2 way to change gears. I am surprised that there is such a variation.
      05-25-2008, 05:24 AM   #24
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM3 View Post
A bit slow, or a lot slower? I only ask because I'm wondering if I should trade in my GTI DSG for a 135i Step.
I don't know about the Step, and it might be different for everyone else, but for me:-

acceleration in the 135 felt slower although I know it isn't. I think it is because it was a lot more linear than the GTI. You don't really get the boot in the backside feeling (well, I didn't anyway) It just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling like there is to end to it. Sounds wonderful too!

at speed, the GTI doesn't feel like it is doing that speed (even with the dodgy speedo) but in the 135, it felt like it was doing that speed.

Eg. at 100kmh, the GTI would feel like it is doing about 60, but in the 135, it would feel like you are doing 100.

Perhaps it is because I'm doing less in the GTI (DSG) so I'm concentrating more in the 135, trying to get a good gear change and stuff (No, I didn't succeed. My changes were horrible. Will take a bit of getting used to. Such a light clutch and a low take up point)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift135 View Post
Someone else mentioned this but my clutch engages about 3/4 the way out, as in just before you take you foot off it. I prefer this as you only have to depress it 1/2 way to change gears. I am surprised that there is such a variation.
You are lucky then! The car I had, had a really low take up point. On 1 change, my foot actually got stuck between the clutch pedal and the footrest. (Well not actually stuck, but rubbed the side, so it stuffed up my change) I also tried to do a heel toe, but my feet didn't reach the bottom of the acc pedal when I was just touching the brake, so all my passengers felt how good the brakes were.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 05:25 AM   #25
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Yeh..the coupe I drove picked up about 2cm off the floor..had to be careful..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 05:29 AM   #26
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Dodgey..
Did you drive the step in sports mode or normal shift..
I drove the 6SM coupe and the Steptronic vert.
In sport mode the step vert just launched off the mark..
I found it quicker from a standing start than the 6SM coupe..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 05:33 AM   #27
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Dodgey..
Did you drive the step in sports mode or normal shift..
I drove the 6SM coupe and the Steptronic vert.
In sport mode the step vert just launched off the mark..
I found it quicker from a standing start than the 6SM coupe..
Sorry, I drove the 135 manual, not the steptronic. I didn't feel I would do the car justice with the steptronic :biggrin: I'm not surprised that the Steptronic launched the car, though. As mentioned, although it didn't feel like it, I am sure it did get of the mark really quickly. It was just a subjective feeling

I found that I have gotten a bit lazier in my DSG GTI so my next car will be a manual, so I test drove a manual.

I think that even if the 135 comes with an SMG gearbox, I'll still go the manual. My car after the 135 has already been picked out (hopefully) and that will be a manual too...

Oh, and I will be definitely getting a short shifter. My feet were moving faster than my left hand. I definitely have to relearn how to shift quickly again. Less of these button pressing :eyebulge::w00t:
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 05:48 AM   #28
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgey View Post
I don't know about the Step, and it might be different for everyone else, but for me:-

acceleration in the 135 felt slower although I know it isn't. I think it is because it was a lot more linear than the GTI. You don't really get the boot in the backside feeling (well, I didn't anyway) It just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling like there is to end to it. Sounds wonderful too!

at speed, the GTI doesn't feel like it is doing that speed (even with the dodgy speedo) but in the 135, it felt like it was doing that speed.

Eg. at 100kmh, the GTI would feel like it is doing about 60, but in the 135, it would feel like you are doing 100.
Thanks for the detailed comparo. I'll have to test drive a step. 135i ASAP.:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 05:59 AM   #29
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

a modified gti would not even feel the way as fast as the 135i does. But then again gti does have this uncanny way of hiding speed. Roger, what did michael think second time around?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 06:08 AM   #30
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
a modified gti would not even feel the way as fast as the 135i does. But then again gti does have this uncanny way of hiding speed.
I found this to while away the time until I can finally test drive one myself.

http://www.eurotuner.com/features/eu...nge/index.html
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 06:56 AM   #31
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

What a great read!!! THanks MMMMM3!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 07:05 AM   #32
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

GO THE MIGHTY 135i! HORAH!

The car looks TOUGH

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 08:33 AM   #33
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
a modified gti would not even feel the way as fast as the 135i does. But then again gti does have this uncanny way of hiding speed. Roger, what did michael think second time around?
That is 1 thing that keeps on impressing me about the GTI. Thanks for picking out the correct words for me. The GTI definitely does mask the speed really well. That said, the 135 is a different league though.

Hehe, he said it appeared even faster from the passenger seat :biggrin: He is already driving a chipped S3, so I don't know if financially it would be a prudent choice to swap that out. (I know I would have a really hard time doing it if I was in his place)

It's only a day after the test drive and I'm already trying to work out a way of getting the 135 sooner than later

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM3 View Post
Thanks for the detailed comparo. I'll have to test drive a step. 135i ASAP.:biggrin:
No worries about the comparo. Please note that it was only a 30min drive. Enough to get a taste and the differences that stands out immediately, but not enough to get the nuances of the car.

My advice about the test drive would be, DON'T!! Unless you really want to spend the money and get the 135
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #34
airhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
what did michael think second time around?
Wayne, put it this way. I had the dealer value my S3

Car felt a lot faster in the passenger seat. Second time around, I liked the engine and the dynamics of the car even more. Getting back in the S3, it just feels dead and the engine sounds awful in comparison. Interior still feels a cheap for the price tag but nothing that would keep you up at night.

Now it's just a case of whether my obsession wins out over common sense
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #35
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead View Post
Now it's just a case of whether my obsession wins out over common sense
Welcome to the 1addicts forum matey.

You know that a good set of exhausts will fix that 4cyl engine right up

Can't do much about the hatch though
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #36
airhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Thanks Roger. Not sure me being on this forum is a good thing yet... it'll only encourage me to spend more money
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #37
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

It was covered recently on National Geographic. Shortly before its introduction, the 3 Series sedan and coupe were stung by large African Devil Bees. That's why they both look like they are swollen ...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #38
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Not much you can do for the S3 exhaust, I've owned one with a stock/modified exhaust and they really don't sound much different. All VAG 1.8T blocks sound very similar and the 2.0T, just the same..

If you want sound you need the VW V6 or the Audis V8
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 08:03 PM   #39
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Roger. Not sure me being on this forum is a good thing yet... it'll only encourage me to spend more money
Michael, stick around. Oh, and just do eeet! You know you want to! This car is sooo much faster than the S3, especially once some basic mods goes in...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #40
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Not much you can do for the S3 exhaust, I've owned one with a stock/modified exhaust and they really don't sound much different. All VAG 1.8T blocks sound very similar and the 2.0T, just the same..

If you want sound you need the VW V6 or the Audis V8
The supersprint exhaust for the S3 does sound beautiful though :w00t:

Oh and thanks for the Best Motoring 2008/06 edition. Just watched it this morning. Pity I don't understand Japanese...

Quote:
LOL, someone mentioned to me that you you had to spend money to make money or something like that... :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #41
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

dodgey: think so? I think it sounds sick :/
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #42
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
dodgey: think so? I think it sounds sick :/
I like it. I think it is better than a stock MkV r32 (yeah I know that's a 6cyl) as well and is a good solution if you can't get a 6cyl car like the 135
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #43
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I really like the R32 exhaust, and hated the 4cyl. Oh well each to their own I think the 135 sounds the best out of them all though..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #44
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

I really liked the way the standard TT exhuast sounded with the chipped 2.0T engine.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0