BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #89
amalgamman
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i sapphire black

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
EDIT: Oh just saw your message... Yep I went to Preston last night... but I only found those: It says rockwell do it well...

Both orbitor is still pretty big. I think the $80 one has better grip and sort of 8". I also found one that is like my 10" orbitor $40.

Can't find details on their website? Are they copies??? haha.

I've done a bit of cruising on the net and apparently the Mothers orbital is only good for product application and not so good for "deeper" polishes and removing swirls. So perhaps I'll go for a different one. You had a black RX8 before, did your 10" do the job for swirl removal etc?

If so, might just get one of those, or the 8" in your photos.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #90
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Have.... I still have the RX-8.

No I don't think the orbitor is fast enough or powerful enough to outdone my arm. I certainly save elbow grease though.

The black paint on the 8 has been ignored for a long time (since that crash at P.I. hehe). But you made me want to polish it now and see what it can do.

For swirl I use Meguire scratch X and they are not recommanding using any machine---- ^^". If that does not work on black paint then I will ask to do it professionally. I have a friend in Ringwood (heatherdale road) owns a panel shop - I prob will ask his advice and borrow his tool and polish it myself.

For home, I think the $89 above looks good.
      06-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #91
amalgamman
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
Have.... I still have the RX-8.

No I don't think the orbitor is fast enough or powerful enough to outdone my arm. I certainly save elbow grease though.

The black paint on the 8 has been ignored for a long time (since that crash at P.I. hehe). But you made me want to polish it now and see what it can do.

For swirl I use Meguire scratch X and they are not recommanding using any machine---- ^^". If that does not work on black paint then I will ask to do it professionally. I have a friend in Ringwood (heatherdale road) owns a panel shop - I prob will ask his advice and borrow his tool and polish it myself.

For home, I think the $89 above looks good.
Thanks mate, tonight I think I'll go and purchase it. Tell us how the RX-8 turns out
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 12:31 AM   #92
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

I've used Random Orbital Sanders for about 10 years. I've only ever had 2 - first was a Makita, and about a year ago, I replaced it with a Blue Bosch.

Neither were cheap - about $200+ if I recall, but both worked a treat. The trick is to get one that is variable speed. With that, you can vary it based on the job you want to do.

I think the Bosch varies from about 6,500 rpm to about 17,000 rpm. I don't know how that compares to those that you're looking at, or how it compares to a professional buffer (much slower I'd expect).

The thing with the RO sanders is it's difficult to make an expensive mistake, whereas with a professional buffer, that's not just possible, unless you're experienced, it's likely - more swirls than you can imagine, burnt paint, going right through the paint, etc, etc.

As others have said, the RO simply makes the job easier - less elbow grease. I believe it also helps you get maximum effect from the products.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 01:56 AM   #93
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

6500 rpm is a lot already. Where do you get the attachment like the foam etc?
      06-19-2009, 03:07 AM   #94
amalgamman
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
I've used Random Orbital Sanders for about 10 years. I've only ever had 2 - first was a Makita, and about a year ago, I replaced it with a Blue Bosch.

Neither were cheap - about $200+ if I recall, but both worked a treat. The trick is to get one that is variable speed. With that, you can vary it based on the job you want to do.

I think the Bosch varies from about 6,500 rpm to about 17,000 rpm. I don't know how that compares to those that you're looking at, or how it compares to a professional buffer (much slower I'd expect).

The thing with the RO sanders is it's difficult to make an expensive mistake, whereas with a professional buffer, that's not just possible, unless you're experienced, it's likely - more swirls than you can imagine, burnt paint, going right through the paint, etc, etc.

As others have said, the RO simply makes the job easier - less elbow grease. I believe it also helps you get maximum effect from the products.

Just my 2 cents.
You have scared me with the burnt and stripped paint scenarios!

You mentioned different rpms... sorry I am a noob with these orbitals, so can you tell me what rpm suits what application? I imagine higher rpms = greater swirl reduction capability but greater chance of damage.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 04:26 AM   #95
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post

Just my 2 cents.
You are entirely correct. A Professional Polisher is just really the same device as a Sander or Grinder. What ever it is resting on, it just spins and rubs that surface at what ever RPM you hold the trigger at so unless you are moving it youself, it's just going to rub straight though eventually. IMHO only trained detailers should even entertain the idea of using one as it can go very wrong very easily.

A RO in contrast is not only going round and round, it's doing so in an orbit, so even if you keep it in the same spot, the pad is still moving orbitally so it's really quite difficult to go wrong with one of these types of polishers.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #96
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Guys = trust me, it's a piece of cake. And from my experience, pretty much risk free.

If you grab the disk of a RO sander while it's going, it'll just vibrate in your hand. It won't continue to rotate at a high speed. I can only guess there's some kind of a clutch or slipping mechanism that allows this to happen - but it does, and that's what makes it pretty much fool proof..

Taka - I use maguiars pads. I get them from Autopro, Autobarn, or any of the major auto retailers. I think they're about $25-$30 each. But you can get any number of brands of pads - as long as they have a velcro-like backing.

amalgamman - i don't really have a set technique. The variable speed goes from 1 - 5. I tend to start off slower (1-2), and get quicker to finish (3-4). I can't think of an occasion when I've run it at full throttle.

I've always used clay and Maguiars products for paint prep and sometimes to polish. They (and others) have what's called a "diminishing abrasive". Sounds great, doesn't it. As I understand these compounds, they start off with abrasive particles of a certain size, and as you "work" the product, the abrasive particles get smaller. So with the same product, you can fix minor problems, without leaving the paint with a matt finish, which then need a couple of runs with polish, to bring back the shine. To give this context, to feel them, some of these products have the same level of abrasivness of milk - so they're VERY mild.

The most agressive product I've ever used is a "fine cut" cutting compound, and that wasn't on one of my cars. My cars have just never needed it.

I then use AutoGlym to finish polishing and seal.

There are much more expensive products out there, and I don't doubt they get a better result. But you hit the "law of diminishing returns" pretty quickly with car detailing. So i go for a 90% result, for 50% of the effort and about 10% of the expense (google "Swissvax crystal rock" - how's $a1500 a jar sound). Look at www.carcareproducts.com.au -- they have all the products you'll ever need.

If you want more info on detailing and products, try www.autopia.org - it's a great website, with huge amounts of information from both amateurs and professionals. The "how to's" are the best I've seen. There's a very complete product review section, with peoples comments and experiences.

I hope this is helpful.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #97
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
You are entirely correct. A Professional Polisher is just really the same device as a Sander or Grinder.
Be careful with that comment. A grinder spins 10000rpm+. Proper rotary polishers normally have a range of 600-1500rpm, with about 1200rpm or higher left to professionals. Even at 600rpm you can do a fair bit or damage if you're not sure.

RO sanders are the way to go for amateurs.

If anyone wants to volunteer a swirled car, I'd be happy to demonstrate the differences between hand, RO sander and forced rotation RO (cross between RO and polisher). You'll quickly be able to see how quickly each type can achieve correction and also how the difficultly increases as well.
      06-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #98
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
Be careful with that comment. A grinder spins 10000rpm+. Proper rotary polishers normally have a range of 600-1500rpm, with about 1200rpm or higher left to professionals. Even at 600rpm you can do a fair bit or damage if you're not sure.

RO sanders are the way to go for amateurs.

If anyone wants to volunteer a swirled car, I'd be happy to demonstrate the differences between hand, RO sander and forced rotation RO (cross between RO and polisher). You'll quickly be able to see how quickly each type can achieve correction and also how the difficultly increases as well.
I was simply implying that they are the same type/style of device and yes, the rev ranges are totally different, but they still are just rotary devices that turn at whatever the speeds the devices rev range an do not have an orbital motion.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #99
amalgamman
Private
Australia
Rep

Excellent advice fellas, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 05:52 AM   #100
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

RDash LED installed!

Racing Dash LED light installed

I went to a local BMW “cosmetic” shop today call Carware @ Keysborough for this kit. As I told many others, from my reading the RDash does not give the brightest light but it is white. Really white that it is whiter than the D1S Xenon. Since I hate the yellow ring so much, I am prepare to sacrifice the brightness for some whiteness. If you want brightness, go for GT Thunder or MTEC bulbs.

This is the ballast and the bulb, the bulb will spray open when it lights up. I guess if it does not return back, it will get damage when I remove it. So when you install it, make sure you are surely secure and fitted properly before lighting it up. Otherwise you may not be able to fit it in!

Taken from Carware, this is the before and after photos. See how white it is but it is not as eye catching in day light. Even with Xenon on at the left. It is still brighter.

This is the photo of one light being installed (on the right)

You can still see the reflection from the door of the ring.

Colour matching the Xenon very nice though.
      07-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #101
dflatos
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'fatboy' View Post
congrats taka - car looks great. Looks like they just 'hand out' those cabin bags down there at BMW melbourne. I got the same one!
I must have missed out on that freebie - maybe they only give them to 135 customers - I have the younger bro - 125i vert. I got a keyring and a iPod connector plug as my freebie - and I don't have an iPod !!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #102
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

You ask and you get.
      07-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #103
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

I got the 'Travel Bag' with mine, it's like a big Gym bag with wheels. Also got 2 keyrings, and a full tank of diesel.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 02:11 AM   #104
malvern135i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i and X5

congrats. I have till october...
can i ask how much it cost you for your personalized number plates?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 04:02 AM   #105
malvern135i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i and X5

can i ask what ipod connector is?
silly queston i assume

i assume its some cord to connect usb plug in 135i to ipod?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 05:16 AM   #106
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvern135i View Post
can i ask how much it cost you for your personalized number plates?
www.vplates.com.au

it varies depending on the combination you get.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 06:18 AM   #107
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

as what Micky said. I think my combination now is $495, was $395.
      07-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #108
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Got the suitcase too, 1 for me and 1 for my wife. Mats were on the car, and I didn't ask for them, and I ask for the ipod connections (and expecting to pay), and they didn't charge me. I remember, they sell them at a ridiculous price for a cable.

As both cars are under the corporate deal - don't have to pay for scheduled service either - I guess, I have to pay for the optional oil change though...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #109
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

At least you haven't got them in blue . My brother when he had my 318i for a while, he changed the high beams to blue... I drove down to Byron one day, and can hardly see anything with no lights around... I put the high beams on - and it's like there's no high beam. Sure the yellow rings are not functional?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #110
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

I have sold my 135