BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #45
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Bought my copy from hong kong on Monday for $80! But since I'm in Macau now I can't use it till I'm home...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #46
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
OMFG Wayne!

So that's why you bought the GT3 (sorry two of em) to match your friggin awesome gamer station. One comment, the Martini livery would look cool on a vinyl wrapped GT3

I bought the Collectors edition, http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo...ional-release/

and are stuck with the standartd PS3 controller
Haha yeah, you don't really expect me to do anything in halves do you! Lol. Hey, you just spent what, $300 on the game, yet you don't invest $300 on a steering wheel??? Hey sell me the SLS model. I like 1:43 scale cars and the looks pretty nice in Orange.

I have seen a Martini wrapped 911 in the UK, looks pretty awesome on the track! At the same time, you look like an idiot try hard on the road lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #47
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Bought my copy from hong kong on Monday for $80! But since I'm in Macau now I can't use it till I'm home...
Why? It cost me $77 at JB Hi-fi...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #48
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
Good to see another LFS fan. I assume you've tried rfactor as well?
Yeah i tried rfactor but i wasn't really a fan of it. LFS is really only good when played with a decent wheel like a g25/27. The graphics are terrible and if you played it with anything but a good wheel then the driving experience would be terrible too. The graphics are easily forgotten when you plug in a G25, select Lx6 with a locked diff and go sliding

I owned an automatic car for 12 months before buying my current car and LFS was the only thing that got me through those 12 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Dec540, see the long metal on top of the word Martini? Sequential shifter, like a touring car Hollinger gearbox.
Ahh.. Sneaky! I prefer using my G25 in the 6sp mode but thats pretty damn cool..

I ended up buying a copy of GT5 yesterday. I wasn't going to buy it because i thought it would be priced at $120+ and after the prologue i just couldn't justify it. But for $78 you really can't go wrong. I'm quite impressed with it. The shadows are fkn terrible, i have no idea what they were thinking releasing it with such an obvious flaw. I'd prefer it didn't have shadows all together. The layout of the menus is all over the place. These are all little things and over all the game is great, but the longer you wait for something the better you expect it to be and considering the time spent making it, it's just not as well finished as i would have expected. In regards to load times, if you go into settings, right down the bottom there is a category called "utilities" and you can select to install game data, it pre-installs tracks, cars etc. for faster loading times. Its 8 gig and takes almost an hour so i just left mine on overnight to install and you do get slightly quicker load times. Maybe 5-10 seconds quicker each race. Certainly worth it if you have the disk space.

Last edited by Dec540; 11-27-2010 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 05:21 AM   #49
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Quote:
Chylld, I actually really like your setup! Look really homely whereas mine looks and feel a bit serious.
Thanks way. I've tried a friend's pro seat, and didn't really like the upright seating position, so decided to make my own. If you can't tell from the pic, the wheel essentially bolts straight to the seat which means all the force feedback goes to your body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
considering the time spent making it, it's just not as well finished as i would have expected. In regards to load times, if you go into settings, right down the bottom there is a category called "utilities" and you can select to install game data, it pre-installs tracks, cars etc. for faster loading times. Its 8 gig and takes almost an hour so i just left mine on overnight to install and you do get slightly quicker load times. Maybe 5-10 seconds quicker each race. Certainly worth it if you have the disk space.
Thanks for the speed tip! But yeah agree 110%, so many annoying flaws with the game. Most I can live with except for the zombie AI who keep hitting me from behind and spinning me around Although I take that as a lesson to not drive so slow
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #50
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Why? It cost me $77 at JB Hi-fi...
Because i was in Hong Kong at the time and saw it for the first time. Assumed back home nobody would be selling it for cheap!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:15 AM   #51
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Anyone tried the Lotusus (what's plural for Lotus) on the Top Gear Trac. fark that is tough, 12 cars to overtake in 2 laps. Maybe it is cause I am trying it with the PS3 controller

Anyone else done it with a steering wheel setup, I am trying to justify one (Wayne do you want to sell yours )
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:25 AM   #52
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
once you get used to the tail-happiness of the lotus, that challenge gets pretty easy. iirc i was in 3rd place by the end of the first lap.

steering wheel definitely helps, since you feel the wheel trying to turn when you slide
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:52 AM   #53
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Can anyone confirm if the 135i is the same as the 135i in Prologue? I was hugely disappoitned with the 135i in Prologue, they made the Evo X way faster in terms of straight line acceleration!

All you guys with G27 and cockpits are making me jealous. Not sure if I should spend my mod money on this or get real horsepower lol.

What do you all think of this? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Next-Level-Ra...#ht_3625wt_932

I really want this one! http://www.visionracer.com.au/

Last edited by BMW86; 11-30-2010 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:59 AM   #54
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
i've heard good things about the next level one... and pagnian save us a lot of hassle by importing it for us. they also sell the fanatec wheel with it as a kit

if you want to go cheap and just build your own cockpit for $100, i can send you the plans for mine heheh
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:01 AM   #55
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Anyone tried the Lotusus (what's plural for Lotus) on the Top Gear Trac. fark that is tough, 12 cars to overtake in 2 laps. Maybe it is cause I am trying it with the PS3 controller

Anyone else done it with a steering wheel setup, I am trying to justify one (Wayne do you want to sell yours )
I just tried this challenge on my brothers steering wheel setup and it took me 3 attempts to get around the first bend without spinning out! I am hopeless at these games...I give up haha. I had all traction and assistance turned off though, not sure what settings you guys play with but that is one hard challenge.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:20 AM   #56
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
i've heard good things about the next level one... and pagnian save us a lot of hassle by importing it for us. they also sell the fanatec wheel with it as a kit

if you want to go cheap and just build your own cockpit for $100, i can send you the plans for mine heheh
$100 sounds nice but after seeing all these pimpin' setups online I'm keen for it to be as real as it gets. G27 + cockpit is around $1100 though
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:50 AM   #57
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

$1100???? DAYAM!

My quick break down:
G27 ~ $400 if you research properly
Random ebay bucket seat ~ $100
If you're handy with some power tools, you can construct either a metal or wooden base for the seat and wheel for under $100
Now... where to store it? Ummm...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 04:04 AM   #58
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
I used the IKEA poang children's armchair in mine I just fit in it. $69!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 04:50 AM   #59
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Just picked up a g25 and eds1 simulator for $600 off a friend. Makes the gameplay a million times better. With just the normal controller I would have gotten bored within no time.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #60
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

I've played this quite a bit more over the last couple of days and even though the GUI and a number of other annoying things in the game really bug me and get me to the point of yelling at the machine :P At least the game play is good.

Gameplay = great.
GUI = absolute shit.
graphics = cars are great, the rest is ok. But the premium/standard car seperation are lame.

I made a cockpit last year using the seat from my GTR and my xbox steering wheel for Forza3, now I need to mod it to fit the Logitech one.
      12-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #61
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
hmmm everyone has different expectations, but i can't agree that the gameplay is great.

the physics are definitely more realistic, but there is still so much tedium in the form of licence tests and levelling up with xp points. you can't do most of the better A-spec races until you level up, and the mind-boggingly stupid AI will whack into you causing YOU to be disqualified.

it's also way too easy to earn money. i've been playing for 2.5 days and have almost 2 million sitting in the bank, and this is after splashing out on a fully-tuned car.

and don't get me started on the graphics (shadows?!?!?) or the load times.

i suppose it's good for what it is, but it could have been more. as it is, it's just a whole lot of tedium. thankfully the game has already shown me the finale movie so i'll take that as an excuse to stop playing now.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #62
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep

Sorry, when I meant gameplay I meant just the driving of the cars and that's about the only good part about the game I like.

But all the other stuff which you also mention is required to bring it into a complete game which you can enjoy, this is where gt5 fails and it fails hard.

ohh, and whats with B-Spec?? Who thought it would be fun to tell a driver to be more aggressive every now and then.

Do a multiplayer game, let one car do a burnout and let another drive through the smoke. The car going through the smoke looks like it goes into 320x200 mode.
We also had two premium cars racing one another and only one was getting damage in online mode (ps3's were setup beside one another).
Also, an F40 can't do a burnout with all aids off, it just grabs the road and bogs down like its got 40hp.
      12-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #63
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
agree with all your points. B-spec i guess is for people who run out of talent, but still want to say they can play GT5? i've also heard you need to be at a certain A-spec and B-spec level to qualify for the SLS competition...

i'm just happy that PlayTV works well. it justifies the PS3's place in my cabinet. starting to feel unsure about that cockpit though. (almost tempted to ask... who wants a G27 + cockpit!??)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 12:44 AM   #64
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
I feel a bit stupid now as I went and bought a Sony LED TV and the kicker was the free GT5 (plus a PS3 and the other stuff). It seems it won't be the bonus that I thought it would be.
      12-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #65
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep

I've found one good thing with this game, I've gotten closer to my partner as I've been able to talk to her more often while its loading.

Although, that is probably cancelled itself out with all the yelling. haha
      12-01-2010, 12:51 AM   #66
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
hahah me too! for one of the "challenges" i let her steer while i did the pedals. still beat the competition by 4 seconds and got gold.

she'll be even happier when she comes home today to find that the cockpit has been moved away from the tv without her having to ask. and given the amount of my whinging she's endured, she won't have to ask why either

at the end of the day it's not too bad a game, especially with a cockpit setup. but there are better games... on my iphone.
Appreciate 0