BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #23
Rachel
Dangerous Curves
United_States
Rep
Drives: better than the boys ;)

Garage List
2011 Ducati 848EVO  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
I love my Monster 1100. It's so playful and well suited to where I live. It also isn't going to throw you off the bike with a small twist of the wrist unlike my streetfighter. I haven't been following the 1100 EVO, so what is the difference?
DTC, ABS, more power, minimal more torque, special exhaust, wet clutch, and some special paint, lol
      05-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #24
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

WOW! Didn't think there were so many on here into bikes - thanks all for the various perspectives.

I'll try to respond to the comments. For context, I'm a short'ish, round'ish 52 year old. So:

Re the Streetfighter - I find the high seat makes me feel like I'm going to fall off the front - my short arms

Re the S1000rr - Awesome machine - and if I was after a sports bike, that'd be #1. But I'm past that - back and wrists aren't what they used to be, so I'm looking for a naked

Re the F800r - nice bike, but want something bigger. Great daily rider - but this is a weekend toy for me. If I could justify the $'s for a toy, I'd be all over a K1300R - my first choice, but $30K+ is just too much

Re the Triumphs - The S3 is right in the figuring - seems to tick most of the boxes

Re the Ducati's - Please don't ask me to justify this - I can't, but I'm just not as bedazzled by them as others seem to be. I know their terriffic. I like the look of the Monster and the Streetfighter - actually, I like to look of most Duc's. They sound great (other than the "bag of spanners" dry clutch). They go. They handle. They're now reliable (albeit a bit expensive to repair). Damn it! Maybe I should relook at them. They do press all the right buttons

Thanks again guys - it's always interesting to get other folks thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #25
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
Re the S1000rr - Awesome machine - and if I was after a sports bike, that'd be #1. But I'm past that - back and wrists aren't what they used to be, so I'm looking for a naked
Hahaha I may only be in my mid thirties, but I hear ya! I gave up sports bikes in my 20s.

Hey here is a different thought. How about the Hypermotard EVO SP?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #26
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

I wouldn't even look at a bike that wasn't a sports bike .. what's the point? From my point of view, bikes are only good for one thing.

Once you start thinking about how the posture is a bit demanding or how a multihour ride is a bit uncomfortable, etc. then ditch the bike and get s ports car instead.

An upright posture bike is the "mother's haircut". It means you've given up!

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #27
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey here is a different thought. How about the Hypermotard EVO SP?
I have to confess to not looking closely at Motard style bikes. I was put off them by a good friend who turned over a KTM 690 in 3 month, because - get this - riding it was like wearing a timber g-string.

I never did get an answer to the "how do you know that?" question.

Maybe I should revisit them.

It's looking like I need to do more research.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #28
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Oh such cruelty!!

Your time will come, young man - lol

At least I'm not looking at a Harley

Apart from which, it's my mid-life crisis, and I'll have it my way. Everyone else just gets to watch. j/k
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #29
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Hee hee! It's been a long time since someone's called me young man .. and I like it!

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #30
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't even look at a bike that wasn't a sports bike .. what's the point? From my point of view, bikes are only good for one thing.

Once you start thinking about how the posture is a bit demanding or how a multihour ride is a bit uncomfortable, etc. then ditch the bike and get s ports car instead.

Oh but Kenny, Hypermotard is sooooo much fun to ride! Sure it isn't going to scare the bejesus out of you like my Streetfighter does when I give it the full throttle, but then again I can't do things that I can if I had a Hypermotard!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #31
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I have to confess to not looking closely at Motard style bikes. I was put off them by a good friend who turned over a KTM 690 in 3 month, because - get this - riding it was like wearing a timber g-string.

I never did get an answer to the "how do you know that?" question.

Maybe I should revisit them.

It's looking like I need to do more research.
KTM 690 is not even close to a Hypermotard. The Hypermotard (especially with the new seats) is super comfy, unlike the seats on the KTM which I can imagine would be like wearing a timber g-string lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #32
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:

Have to disagree with that. Moving on from the self inflicted torture that sports bikes can be to an all rounder will keep you biking. I've had over 40 bikes and have raced both off road and track. So much to my own surprise I bought as my last bike a BMW R1200S. I was trying all sorts before buying and was testriding a K1200 with the salesman along on the R1200S. Just out of curiosity I rode the boxer back to the shop. Would never have contemplated one of these because I was a bike snob. But it was a revelation. This was a deceptively quick machine. Much lighter than it's looks at 185kg dry ( from memory ), comfortable, low maintenance, ABS. I grew to love its quirky looks. Very easy to work on. Modded with a full Remus exhaust it had a fantastic deep bellow that wasn't offensive. Well, not to me anyway. Most importantly it kept me going on bikes for a few more years.

I'm off them now, probably for good. Just can't ride like I want to anymore. Took a lot to admit that. Once the fear sets in it's hard to shake and I'm just no good at tootling around Harley style.

My point is, keep an open mind. There may be good bikes that you are overlooking.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #33
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Had a chance to have a good look at one of these on the weekend
http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...cs=7&silo=1400

Interesting bike.

The owner was wrapped in it. Claimed he could run with any naked, and have more fun in the process.

He was just raving about it - but then I guess he was somewhat (or a lot) biased
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #34
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Have to disagree with that. Moving on from the self inflicted torture that sports bikes can be to an all rounder will keep you biking. I've had over 40 bikes and have raced both off road and track. So much to my own surprise I bought as my last bike a BMW R1200S. I was trying all sorts before buying and was testriding a K1200 with the salesman along on the R1200S. Just out of curiosity I rode the boxer back to the shop. Would never have contemplated one of these because I was a bike snob. But it was a revelation. This was a deceptively quick machine. Much lighter than it's looks at 185kg dry ( from memory ), comfortable, low maintenance, ABS. I grew to love its quirky looks. Very easy to work on. Modded with a full Remus exhaust it had a fantastic deep bellow that wasn't offensive. Well, not to me anyway. Most importantly it kept me going on bikes for a few more years.

I'm off them now, probably for good. Just can't ride like I want to anymore. Took a lot to admit that. Once the fear sets in it's hard to shake and I'm just no good at tootling around Harley style.

My point is, keep an open mind. There may be good bikes that you are overlooking.
Gazz my post was tongue in cheek, but I guess being a Scorpio I'm an all or nothing kind of person. My wife and I both rode sports bikes and did some track days at Eastern Creek with much enjoyment. I always scoffed at people talking about how dangerous motorbikes are.

On the 4th November 2005 when my son James was born and I held that little person in my arms I knew instantly my motorbike days were over. I guess the heart knew what the mind refused to accept.

I loved every minute of my time on my Ducati and I think back fondly but I don't miss it. I guess I can always get a convertible sports car for that wind in your face feeling.

I totally understand that each of us follows our own bliss and I have mates who have graduated from sports bikes to "Super Sports" or other more upright and more comfy styles. They love their cruises to nice places, often with wife on back. Hell, even Harley riders have their fun. Each to their own and thank God we aren't all the same, that would be boring!

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #35
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Gazz my post was tongue in cheek, but I guess being a Scorpio I'm an all or nothing kind of person. My wife and I both rode sports bikes and did some track days at Eastern Creek with much enjoyment. I always scoffed at people talking about how dangerous motorbikes are.

On the 4th November 2005 when my son James was born and I held that little person in my arms I knew instantly my motorbike days were over. I guess the heart knew what the mind refused to accept.

I loved every minute of my time on my Ducati and I think back fondly but I don't miss it. I guess I can always get a convertible sports car for that wind in your face feeling.

I totally understand that each of us follows our own bliss and I have mates who have graduated from sports bikes to "Super Sports" or other more upright and more comfy styles. They love their cruises to nice places, often with wife on back. Hell, even Harley riders have their fun. Each to their own and thank God we aren't all the same, that would be boring!
Hear hear. Definately agree with your democratic postulate - "each to their own." And there's nothing like having a child to refocus your perspective.
Sports bikes however aren't dangerous, no more dangerous than base jumping or bull riding or big wave riding or my favourite, or was until I did something rather nasty to my knee, downhill skiing. Okay I have to confess I wasn't really a downhill skier, just thought I was, up until THE MOMENT.

What is it with us Scorps?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #36
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Oops, I'm a Scorpio... Love skiing, surfing, climbing, diving, mountain biking etc
My ZX9-R is as unfocussed as I'm prepared to go at the moment. Bought it as a compromise bike 10 years ago as the GF wouldn't sit on anything more sporty 'Grown to love it. It handles, has plenty of grunt and is relatively comfortable. Even managed to do a 1300km day in the saddle in 2009 on the way home from the GP. I'm 46.
      05-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #37
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

I'm 60 now and have not had a bike for 30 years. Had the kids, but they are all grown up and gone now. My son has a Honda 600RR and I was looking to get something for myself, but after riding his bike especially one day from the Central Coast to Sydney, my wrists were killing me, my back was sore and I was only on it for just over an hour. I did'nt take much to figure I'm too old for this style of bike.
My mate has a BMW R1200 GS and he gave me the DVD "The Long Way Round" to watch. Well I was half sold already after watching that, so I decided to test ride one. What can I say. It was fantastic. Felt like a much smaller bike, so much torque and most important, so comfortable.
Bit the bullet and bought one of these 30 year anniversary versions. Loved the colour in AW (same as my 135i) and it came with the options I wanted including the black spoked wheels, ABS blah blah blah.
Thought about the Adventure, but my feet wont hit the ground as it's a lot taller that the normal GS.
After the initial running in around my area, four of us decided to do a 3 day ride from the Central Coast to the Snowy. We did 1600Ks in the 3 days, quite a bit on dirt roads which was a heap of fun. We spent literally 12 hours in the saddle the first day and apart from a very little soreness in the bum, I felt great.
Would recommend to anyone to ride one of these if you are looking for an all purpose bike.
Attached Images

05-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #38
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Oops, I'm a Scorpio... Love skiing, surfing, climbing, diving, mountain biking etc
You like long walks on the beach at sunset?

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #39
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
You like long walks on the beach at sunset?
If you're up for it

Funny, I thought about adding that comment.
      05-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #40
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
If you're up for it

Funny, I thought about adding that comment.
My son is a Scorpio too, born a couple of days after my bday. My wife often shakes her head and says "I thought it was just you".

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #41
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Seems there are a few boxer fans out there. Very underated bike. I suspect that once you are a convert you find it hard to leave. I'm struggling to think of another engine, with the obvious exception of Harley Davidson's V twin, that has been in virtually continuous production for as long as the boxer has. It has been produced since 1921/22 in the boxer configuration. Harley's V twin around 1909 from memory.
This is probably what puts a lot off people off considering a boxer, it just seems so old fashioned. It also carries a percieved association with "BMW types" in the motorcycle world, ie. too superior to wave to lesser bikers, cliquey, generally older riders clinging to nostalgia and wanting to appear respectable in the eyes of the public. Almost the antithesis of the older Harley riders wanting/trying to appear unrespectable. Sadly, they just look quaint. Have you ever experienced that vague feeling of relief when you realise that the Bandidos roaring up behind you turn out to be a just a bunch of old farts on their immaculate Harley cruisers.
Charlie Boorman and Ewen McGregor have refreshed the ( offroad ) boxers profile to an unprecedented level of coolness which doesn't seem to have translated across to the road bikes. Unless BMW move to introduce water cooling to the boxer, a la Porsche, it will probably end production due to failure to meet compliance laws. Oh well.

I wonder how a Deus Ex Machina style boxer would go. Now there's an idea for a project.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #42
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Unless BMW move to introduce water cooling to the boxer, a la Porsche, it will probably end production due to failure to meet compliance laws. Oh well.
That exact move is supposed to be happening in 2012.
http://www.gsfreerider.com/node/33
http://bmwmcmag.com/2011/02/spy-shot...oled-boxer-gs/
      05-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #43
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Had a chance to have a good look at one of these on the weekend
http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...cs=7&silo=1400

Interesting bike.

The owner was wrapped in it. Claimed he could run with any naked, and have more fun in the process.

He was just raving about it - but then I guess he was somewhat (or a lot) biased
No no no, HP2 Sport all the way!!! Quite comfortable too those.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #44
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
No no no, HP2 Sport all the way!!! Quite comfortable too those.
Ah yes!!! This is at my local dealer - and has been for quite some time.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...eot=1&__N=1432 604 1430 1429 1626 1428 4294967253 4294960471&silo=1400

If I had a spare $38K to spend on a toy, this'd be it. Unfortunately, that's not the case right now.

But what an amazing machine
Appreciate 0