BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
BigMacSmallFries
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M5C 911 Turbo F430 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
In the context of talking to people that know about cars.... They wouldnt think someone bought a 1M because they couldn't afford a M3. But they would think that someone bought a 335 because they couldn't afford a M3.

And given that money is no object I can't imagine many people taking a boxster over a 911 so....

We'll agree to disagree. As soon as the mention of the 1M comes up, the conversation immediately turns to why anyone would buy one when the M3 is 10k more, followed by someone commenting on how they don't like how the 1M looks. Regarding the Boxster, the stereotype is even common among girls who aren't into cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #24
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

I, at the same time, owned a Boss and a 1M. I drove both, extensively on two tracks (VIR and CMP)along with my friends e92 M3. I would/could have kept both but ended up keeping the 1M.its tighter, more fun, not nearly as nice a noise but in all ways, a better built car. On the track, they(and M3) were all good! Love the Boss for its muscle, but the 1M is better all round.

Drove a 2013 M3 the last 3 days thinking about trading my 2013 S4 in but too much extra cash.

So out of the 3, my informed opinion is the 1M! Argue all you want, but I actually made the decision after using them all!
      04-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #25
It8ntez
Is this thing on?
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M, LBB M2

Having a 2013 Boss and a 1M I can attest to the 1M twitchiness under WOT versus the Boss. I drove my 1M last night and even commented to my wife about how stable and fast the Boss is. I am going to Salt Lake City next week for the Miller Motorsport Boss Track Attack so I will take lots of pics.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #26
ve32811
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

would kill to have the e90 m3 !!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Re the 1M: "This car feels like it's fresh out of prison, ready to kick your ass and rob a bank."

That is a GREAT quote.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #28
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacSmallFries View Post
There seems to be 4 "affordable" cars that real car enthusiasts make a big deal out of: the M3, 1M, Boxster and the Cayman.
I don't like the stigma that by owning the 1M, Boxster, or Cayman everyone thinks you bought it because you couldn't afford an M3 or a 911. I'm not the type of person who gives a **** what other people think, but it's a hassle having to defend yourself and explain your purchase to others --this seems to be a topic that drives my buddy with the 1M nuts. It's all an ego thing at the end of the day, but you should have a smile on your face if you own any of the four.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
Well, I traded in a E90 M3 for 1M and am trying to figure out what car is better than 1M at anywhere near the price. I even disagree with the notion that M3 more practical--at least in coupe form, I think back seat in 1M is better tho harder to get into (as if a kid would ever care about that!)
Interesting points.

The personal preferences, experiences and expectations, here and now, of each of us are never 100% identical.

Ask yourself, car wise, what matters most for you personally, as we speak: power output ? acceleration ? design ? agility ? fun ? quality ? value ? etc. What purposes mainly serves the car for you personally for the time being: daily driver ? weekend car ? track animal ? urban jungle cat ? garage queen ? most drives alone aboard or joined by the significant other + kids ? etc.

True that when cars are driven back-to-back you might get an idea of which car you like more or even most, but still this judgment heavily depends/relies on the set of your personal preference parameters, experiences and expectations. And those likely evolve(d) over time, as we all go through phases in the stages of our lives. What might have been (un)fit for your purpose(s) and budget in the past, may no longer be the case by now for some reason(s), and vice versa. Moreover, it ain't that easy to compare fresh experiences with memories of experiences from a distant past.

Cars, cars, cars: many great "packages" are available, with pros and cons for each of us personally. Maybe we should conclude that it is simply too complicated to make universal "Best Car" statements, because far too personal and momentum related. At least it should be narrowed down to "Best car for me - hic et nunc - regarding [characteristic X or purpose Y]".

My personal preference ? Fond memories about my previous cars - no doubt about that. But - here and now - the 1M continues to paint a smile/grin on my face whenever I behold and drive it. So I guess - for the time being - the "1M package" is currently still fit for my purposes. And as the bonding continues, it may stay that way for quite awhile. But that does not mean that I keep my eyes closed for future contenders.

Cfr. the panta rhei idea: everything changes and nothing remains still, and you cannot step twice into the same stream.
      04-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #29
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Interesting points.

The personal preferences, experiences and expectations, here and now, of each of us are never 100% identical.

Ask yourself, car wise, what matters most for you personally, as we speak: power output ? acceleration ? design ? agility ? fun ? quality ? value ? etc. What purposes mainly serves the car for you personally for the time being: daily driver ? weekend car ? track animal ? urban jungle cat ? garage queen ? most drives alone aboard or joined by the significant other + kids ? etc.

True that when cars are driven back-to-back you might get an idea of which car you like more or even most, but still this judgment heavily depends/relies on the set of your personal preference parameters, experiences and expectations. And those likely evolve(d) over time, as we all go through phases in the stages of our lives. What might have been (un)fit for your purpose(s) and budget in the past, may no longer be the case by now for some reason(s), and vice versa. Moreover, it ain't that easy to compare fresh experiences with memories of experiences from a distant past.

Cars, cars, cars: many great "packages" are available, with pros and cons for each of us personally. Maybe we should conclude that it is simply too complicated to make universal "Best Car" statements, because far too personal and momentum related. At least it should be narrowed down to "Best car for me - hic et nunc - regarding [characteristic X or purpose Y]".

My personal preference ? Fond memories about my previous cars - no doubt about that. But - here and now - the 1M continues to paint a smile/grin on my face whenever I behold and drive it. So I guess - for the time being - the "1M package" is currently still fit for my purposes. And as the bonding continues, it may stay that way for quite awhile. But that does not mean that I keep my eyes closed for future contenders.

Cfr. the panta rhei idea: everything changes and nothing remains still, and you cannot step twice into the same stream.
bien vu, bien dit
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #30
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by It8ntez
Having a 2013 Boss and a 1M I can attest to the 1M twitchiness under WOT versus the Boss. I drove my 1M last night and even commented to my wife about how stable and fast the Boss is. I am going to Salt Lake City next week for the Miller Motorsport Boss Track Attack so I will take lots of pics.
Enjoy yourself! I did mine last march and it was a great time. But don't expect to start hot lapping when you get there.

As for the 1m, arguments I can honestly say I was swayed away by randy pobst review of it and I may be biased. However for 60k in the used market, I'd rather get a gtr as much as I am anti gtr or for a little more a 997 gt3

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #31
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Maybe on the used car market, but that should be very telling in itself. New, the msrp was not even close to that far apart. More like a few thousand. M3 though would be close to 20k more.
where did you find one at MSRP? I sure couldnt.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #32
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

04-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #33
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

..."the Mustang has become kinda the American 911"....LOL
      04-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #34
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

1M is pretty special, and exclusive... And easy to get even more power out of with a tune.

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #35
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
Enjoy yourself! I did mine last march and it was a great time. But don't expect to start hot lapping when you get there.

As for the 1m, arguments I can honestly say I was swayed away by randy pobst review of it and I may be biased. However for 60k in the used market, I'd rather get a gtr as much as I am anti gtr or for a little more a 997 gt3
Interesting. You were swayed by one negative review but totally unaffected by the positive reviews (which were the vast majority).

Maybe you can just say you couldn't get one?
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #36
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
where did you find one at MSRP? I sure couldnt.
I got mine for msrp....but that was only because I am a dumbass and told the dealer what the car was....they had no idea...I could have gotten it for a couple grand under...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #37
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

The key thing to note about the video is how often these guys are grinning and or giggling when driving the 1M.

That's what this car is all about. It's not about track times (even though it holds it's own). It's not about straight line speed (even though it's mind-blowingly quick in through-the-gears).

It's about FUN.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #38
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33
The key thing to note about the video is how often these guys are grinning and or giggling when driving the 1M.

That's what this car is all about. It's not about track times (even though it holds it's own). It's not about straight line speed (even though it's mind-blowingly quick in through-the-gears).

It's about FUN.
^Truth
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #39
Slow///1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, GT3, X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33

It's about FUN.
This.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #40
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Ack - was that a mooch spoiler on the 1M?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #41
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego
Not really a fair review considering the 1M is nearly 20k more than the mustang.
Used its around the same. It is fair.
      04-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #42
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

I love the description if the "fresh out of prison, ready to kick your ass and rob a bank"

LOL
      04-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #43
It8ntez
Is this thing on?
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M, LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post

I'd say GT3 would be the choice over GTR. I've had a M car of various sorts going back to M Coupe (z3) I can say the E90 M3 bored me so the 1M was a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #44
emathis
Private
Rep
Drives: X6//M + 1series V8

1//M is back to the roots state of the art for any //M enthusiast. Those who owned E30 know what I am talking about.
The 1//M iß a modern revival of the myth E30. Sheer driving pleasure, pure sensations and feelings.
Appreciate 0