BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Brake light on dash out of synch with service

Did a complete brake job on my 09 128 about 18 mos ago with new rotors and Cool Carbon pads. The sensors had not activated yet so I reused them and it's been great with no issues.

Two weeks ago I started getting an intermittent brake light on the dash. Still plenty of meat left (about 75-80%) on the pads and the rotors show almost no sign of wear. Took it to my regular independent shop and he showed me the readout which says pads are down to about 11%. He agrees that the pads are at about 75%.

What's going on? Should I get new sensors?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

When you changed pads and reused the sensors did you by chance reset the service indicator? The brake pad life warning is a combination for the pad sensor as well as time. Try resetting it and see what it does. You can find reset procedures on youtube. Very easy.
      03-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
When you changed pads and reused the sensors did you by chance reset the service indicator? The brake pad life warning is a combination for the pad sensor as well as time. Try resetting it and see what it does. You can find reset procedures on youtube. Very easy.
Thanks, I was wondering if there was a time issue with the sensor. I had the light reset by my shop and so far it has not come back on.
Appreciate 0