BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #23
larramy
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyT View Post
it removed mine so i am only saying from first hand experience (read my post up there if you havent)
Thanks dude. I have already read your posts, but which platform are you on? Are you on the N54 or N55 midpipes?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #24
MysticblueX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Question. How easy is it to install N55 midpipes and PE on my N54? My friend have some jack stands I can borrow. Should I just have a shop do it?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #25
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticblueX3 View Post
Question. How easy is it to install N55 midpipes and PE on my N54? My friend have some jack stands I can borrow. Should I just have a shop do it?
It's a fairly simple DIY if you have the tools and take your time (especially if you decide not to install the y-pipe). I would recommend that you jack and block the car the night before the swap. Hit all the bolts on the midpipes with penetrating oil before going to bed. If you do this, you will have no problem breaking the bolts free in the morning. The two spring loaded bolts between the midpipe and exhaust have been known to break, but this will be a nonissue if you soak them overnight. The hardest part of the swap is removing the rubber hangers that hold the exhaust to the frame. Start by removing the cross-brace and midpipes. It's then best to remove the rear diffuser which will give you more room to get your hands/tools on the hangers. When working the hangers off their perches, a little WD-40 on the contact points will help loosen up the hangers. It will still take some pushing and prying to get them off. It's not impossible but it will take a bit of effort. You will also need to think about supporting the exhaust as the hangers are removed. The OEM exhaust is a bit heavier than the PE exhaust. A couple blocks of wood and some shop towels worked for me. To get the last hanger off, I slid under the car and let the exhaust rest on my chest. Once everything was free, I slid out from under the exhaust then pulled the exhaust out from under the car. I did the reverse when installing the PE exhaust which was much easier. Once you get the PE on the hangers, just reinstall the midpipes, cross-brace and diffuser. Using jack stands, you are looking at about two hours of work from the time the wheels leave the ground to the time they are back on the ground (excluding the overnight soaking).
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #26
berne
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

any on have the number for the Y-pipe?
Appreciate 0