BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Can't have BMW Performance bits fitted for 2 weeks after delivery?

I had an e-mail from the salesman at BMW looking after my delivery and he tells me that the BMW Performance parts can't be fitted until two weeks after delivery if I want to avoid the envy, I mean LC tax on them.

That's a bit harsh isn't it?

Also, fitment for the items (SSK, CF rear spoiler and pedals) was going to be $690.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
Jaymz
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Coming soon; E39M5 powered E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
I had an e-mail from the salesman at BMW looking after my delivery and he tells me that the BMW Performance parts can't be fitted until two weeks after delivery if I want to avoid the envy, I mean LC tax on them.

That's a bit harsh isn't it?

Also, fitment for the items (SSK, CF rear spoiler and pedals) was going to be $690.
I've heard this before and not just from them but yes the car has to physically be removed from the dealership and the job card must read a different date. i.e 2 weeks later.
They say two weeks because that particular dealer gets audited every quarter to make sure all affairs are in order.

If the Gov found out that they were helping people get around yet another tax, they would get pinged.
      08-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Buying the parts beforehand wont solve it either I suppose?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 01:42 AM   #4
Jaymz
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Coming soon; E39M5 powered E24

Not really, because of the dates. A Job order will still have to be raised to put the gear on the car and that will align with the handover date.
Bit of a catch 22 but two weeks will fly!
      08-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

My current car has parts installed at delivery that weren't subject to stamp duty, other taxes. Dealer just insisted I pay with two separate cheques. What they did from there, I didn't care.
      08-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Don't bother with buying the performance parts from your dealer. Like most here I bought my performance parts from the USA. Less than 50% of the prices in Australia. I'll get them installed once I receive the car and won't have to worry about stamp duty or LCT. You can also buy them from Andrew here in Melbourne.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #7
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
Don't bother with buying the performance parts from your dealer. Like most here I bought my performance parts from the USA. Less than 50% of the prices in Australia. I'll get them installed once I receive the car and won't have to worry about stamp duty or LCT. You can also buy them from Andrew here in Melbourne.
I've been sussing out some of the US sites for performance bits etc (discs, SSK, rear blinds, roof racks etc). I'd like to fit the discs straight away when my 135 turns up as new pads should be used with new discs. What sites have people been buying from & how has the experience been? Anybody experienced the short shifter yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Prof and I have the SSK. I didn't like it initially, but once it loosen up, it was fantastic. I drove a friend's standard car yesterday and was amazed by how long the shifter is!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 12:59 AM   #9
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I just got off the phone to Andrew@SouthernBM and he was a great help.

He will be organising my BMW Performance Parts for me and the saving makes it quite worthwhile.

The added bonus is I can drop these off to the dealer before delivery so there installed for when I pick up, and no LCT issues!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 01:15 AM   #10
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I just got off the phone to Andrew@SouthernBM and he was a great help.

He will be organising my BMW Performance Parts for me and the saving makes it quite worthwhile.

The added bonus is I can drop these off to the dealer before delivery so there installed for when I pick up, and no LCT issues!
I'm sure I'm behind the times here, but has the LCT increase gone through the Senate yet? I read in Motor a month or two ago that it hadn't. I was hoping it would at least be delayed until after my (Oct now...) delivery & not be retrospective.

It looks like your 135 may be turning up at the same place at the same time as mine MATTYV.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 01:19 AM   #11
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
TimMc- The LCT would still be payable at the current rate of 25%, not the increased +8% the Gov't is looking to carve out of us.

I've actually e-mailed the dealer to get an update on where things are at this afternoon too, so if you're production week 35 as well we will likely be on the same boat I'd think
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 01:50 AM   #12
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
TimMc- The LCT would still be payable at the current rate of 25%, not the increased +8% the Gov't is looking to carve out of us.

I've actually e-mailed the dealer to get an update on where things are at this afternoon too, so if you're production week 35 as well we will likely be on the same boat I'd think
True.
Yeah I'm week 35 also (ordered May) though I was originally told Sept delivery. Only found about the one month delay when I finally managed to get somebody to return a call from BBMW last week. Not happy. They rarely return calls & don't reply to emails. They didn't even seem too keen to take my order or deposit.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 02:07 AM   #13
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Mattyv, it's a shame that you are not in Melb because the install your dealer is charging you is rediculous!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 03:09 AM   #14
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
WAY- I think the technical term is "feels like a uppercut"
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #15
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Quote:
mattyv, are you 100% sure about this? I am under the impression that, as the government is intending it to be retrospective, the dealerships will be collecting it at the higher rate. If the Senate succeeds in blocking the legislation (as has been stated), then you get a refund. Eventually.

That's my understanding, anyway.
      08-22-2008, 06:11 AM   #16
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
It was in reference to what you'd pay at present if I had my parts fitted at time of delivery instead of the two week delay. the +8% hasn't been passed through both houses yet.

Audi actually told their customers they'd pay it if it goes through. Be nice if BMW did the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 07:13 AM   #17
Timbo
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

BMW are doing the opposite... they're collecting it and then committing to pay it back if it doesn't go through.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #18
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

on this lct business, we find out for sure next week on tuesday, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #19
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I think so, Prof.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 06:26 AM   #20
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Old man's comfy car

It appears some manufactures are absorbing the LCT increase and some like BMW are increasing prices. I am pretty confident the increase will go ahead and it will be back dated to July 1. The car needed to be delivered (not ordered) before July 1st to avoid the tax increase.

I know we need to pay our fair share of tax and if we are well off we should help support the poor and less privileged but I have worked hard, never asked for a government benefit and I am accumulating a retirement fund so I can be self sufficient if live long enough to retire and I get the feeling the Rudd Government only sees me as a resource to harvest. At least they could show some appreciation instead of trying to find new ways to tax us more. At least I don't play the pokies or smoke so I'm not paying those taxes.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #21
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw on an old clapped out POS Holden once-

"Keep working hard to pay for my dole"

For some reason my BP went up somewhat...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #22
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

They wonder why there is a brain drain in Australia. Most of my friends are in London, Hong Kong or Singapore because they can earn 50% more and gets taxed for less. I pay a shet load of tax and don't be surprise if I too up and move away one day (probably to somewhere that sells cheap cars though lol).
Appreciate 0