BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
bski
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Scratch in clear coat

Jeez,
was cleaning some bird crap off the hood with a wet tissue and it left behind some really light scratch marks!
Damn, never scratched a car before while cleaning it!! Think its from the clear coat I had put on?! Not terrible, im probably the only one who will notice it but it bothers me.
I tried the scratch doctor stuff, really didnt work.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
bski
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by bski View Post
Jeez,
was cleaning some bird crap off the hood with a wet tissue and it left behind some really light scratch marks!
Damn, never scratched a car before while cleaning it!! Think its from the clear coat I had put on?! Not terrible, im probably the only one who will notice it but it bothers me.
I tried the scratch doctor stuff, really didnt work.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
bski

Bird crap will etch into the clear coat. Couple things to try. First, what really needs to be done to remove the scratch is the use of a high speed polisher with some mild abbrasive polish, this should clear it up.

If you don't have access to a high speed polisher (Porter cable or Flex are my recommendations), then you can try meguiars Scratch X and a foam pad. You will have to work the area probably at least 3x's and you'll have to put some friction(meaning really rubbing back and forth) into the use of the foam pad.

Bird Crap is very, very bad. If you see it on your car at any time, remove it immediatly, the longer it sits, the more time it will etch into the clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

Dammit. Right when I read this I ran out to my garage to remove that bird crap... and sure enough. There's an etch in my clear coat. %*#$!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
sunking420
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 135i

I carry Meguire's Quik Detailer and a microsoft towel in the trunk at all times. It's come in handy more times than I care to think about. Preventive maintainence is key........
Appreciate 0