BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

Mounting damper remote reservoirs?

Just curious to see how folks have handled this on the E82 platform.

I'd really like to be able to do this without any permanent body modification (such as drilling the trunk). The dampers (JRZ 2-way remotes) have quick-release fronts, but not rears. I don't object to mounting them outside of the cabin (perhaps if there is an easy way to put them in front of the radiator or the like, to keep cool, or a decent rear location that does similar), but would prefer to have them under-hood or in-trunk if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Mine are located near the hood latches
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep

Pictures? What about the rear? Was any drilling or cutting required?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
On my buddy's 335i w/JRZ RS Pro, he has his external reservoirs mounted like in this picture with zip ties. I'm not sure how he routed the lines though

*Edit: Btw, RS Pros on a 128i M sport? Holy crap , how does it handle? I'm on the RS Two, and the capabilities of them are just mind blowing. What else are you running on there?
Attached Images

Last edited by chris82; 09-23-2015 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
On my buddy's 335i w/JRZ RS Pro, he has his external reservoirs mounted like in this picture with zip ties. I'm not sure how he routed the lines though

*Edit: Btw, RS Pros on a 128i M sport? Holy crap , how does it handle? I'm on the RS Two, and the capabilities of them are just mind blowing. What else are you running on there?
He's a noob and trying to do what I did to my car.

Davies, I just think lower arm might be the best option if you can't get them elsewhere
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the love, Kyle. .

I'd considered the RS Two to avoid this problem, and if it were a monotube, I probably would go that route just to save a little bit of money and solve this packaging problem. The car will see quite a bit of street use as well, so most of my decision process revolves around ride quality, rather than pure performance in a competition environment. Coming from an S2000, that, on 800lb springs (so similar wheel rates to what is common on a 128i), had better ride quality than my stock Mercedes daily driver, as a result of going to Motion Control 2-ways on that, I'm spoiled by the ride quality of this type of damper.

To specifically answer your question, it'll probably be terrible until I get a diff built for the car. But we'll see. I'm using Kyle's general settings as a baseline, and will play around beyond that. 2016 will be a light year for me in terms of time investment, but maybe I can get the car pretty close by the end.

This is my current best bet, I found these pictures elsewhere:

Last edited by RyanDavies; 09-24-2015 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavies View Post

I'd considered the RS Two to avoid this problem, and if it were a monotube, I probably would go that route just to save a little bit of money and solve this packaging problem. The car will see quite a bit of street use as well, so most of my decision process revolves around ride quality, rather than pure performance in a competition environment. Coming from an S2000, that, on 800lb springs (so similar wheel rates to what is common on a 128i), had better ride quality than my stock Mercedes daily driver, as a result of going to Motion Control 2-ways on that, I'm spoiled by the ride quality of this type of damper.

To specifically answer your question, it'll probably be terrible until I get a diff built for the car. But we'll see. I'm using Kyle's general settings as a baseline, and will play around beyond that. 2016 will be a light year for me in terms of time investment, but maybe I can get the car pretty close by the end.

This is my current best bet, I found these pictures elsewhere:

[img[https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37450934/IMG_1854.jpg[/img]
That's using a M3 lower arm, so you'll be able to mount the remotes a bit closer to the wheel to adjust them instead of sticking your head down by the diff.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep

It's rather rare I adjust compression, so ease of adjustment is less of a concern than protecting them from damage.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Pictures? What about the rear? Was any drilling or cutting required?
pics attached. no drilling.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:

You'd be surprised, the comfort of the RS Two is right up there with the RS Pro on the street. One of the JRZ reps told me they designed the RS Two to perform like a damper with external reservoirs, and I think they achieved that goal, simply stunning.

What scares me is just how low I have the settings on these and just how well they perform even on those low settings ... one day I will venture into the higher settings ... one day
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #11
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Where are the rears?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #12
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Where are the rears?
No remotes on the rears
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #13
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's rather rare I adjust compression, so ease of adjustment is less of a concern than protecting them from damage.
You'll be adjusting a lot on a BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
You'd be surprised, the comfort of the RS Two is right up there with the RS Pro on the street. One of the JRZ reps told me they designed the RS Two to perform like a damper with external reservoirs, and I think they achieved that goal, simply stunning.

What scares me is just how low I have the settings on these and just how well they perform even on those low settings ... one day I will venture into the higher settings ... one day
It's back breaking mode. I've only done them on smooth concrete and would never dare to do it on local streets unless I want to break jaws
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #14
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
You'll be adjusting a lot on a BMW.

It's back breaking mode. I've only done them on smooth concrete and would never dare to do it on local streets unless I want to break jaws
My feelings too! I am 2/14 compression in front and that feels like plenty on the roads I drive
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #15
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, Kyle, I spent a lot of time to get to a point where I didn't have to adjust much. Front rebound was my primary site-specific tweak. I did end up taking out almost all of the rear compression in Lincoln, which was unusual. And maxed front rebound. Car was the best it'd ever been. My first year with that car (and probably 1000 runs between all the folks that had time in it), I was making fairly constant adjustments. With the exception of the Lincoln tweaks, my car was the same from post-Nats 2014 until arriving at Nats this year, other than doing testing, where I ended up always going back to the baseline. Rear bar, spring changes, ride height changes, etc. I use compression effectively to control how fast the tire loads on a given end of a car. Some people do different things / adopt a different philosophy, and thats what I was happiest with. It'll be interesting to see what needs done with the 128, as I move to a car where I'm sure I'll have to spend more focus working on power-down (although a lot of people in STR spent a lot of time/money to figure out what I did pretty early to solve this), particularly before I have a clutch diff built for the car.

With the MCS, there was hardly a discernable ride quality difference between the 5F/4R compression settings I usually ran, and 15/15 all around. 15/15 was something like 200lbsof compression force at 1in/sec. Tons of force. I don't think either your TCKs or Chris' RSTWo twin tubes are capable of generating that much force. Not that I've EVER found a reason to run that much (I tested it when I was running 50% of the spring rate I ended up settling on), but you can reasonably do it. It'd be cool if you guys had shock dynos to share, although I don't know if either of you would. I plan on being 100% public with the build, as there isn't a lot of public info about how to make these cars work.

Rebound tended to impact ride quality a lot more, once the shocks left a comfortable "range", the over/underdamped conditions that were created caused a hateful ride.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #16
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well, Kyle, I spent a lot of time to get to a point where I didn't have to adjust much. Front rebound was my primary site-specific tweak. I did end up taking out almost all of the rear compression in Lincoln, which was unusual. And maxed front rebound. Car was the best it'd ever been. My first year with that car (and probably 1000 runs between all the folks that had time in it), I was making fairly constant adjustments. With the exception of the Lincoln tweaks, my car was the same from post-Nats 2014 until arriving at Nats this year, other than doing testing, where I ended up always going back to the baseline. Rear bar, spring changes, ride height changes, etc. I use compression effectively to control how fast the tire loads on a given end of a car. Some people do different things / adopt a different philosophy, and thats what I was happiest with. It'll be interesting to see what needs done with the 128, as I move to a car where I'm sure I'll have to spend more focus working on power-down (although a lot of people in STR spent a lot of time/money to figure out what I did pretty early to solve this), particularly before I have a clutch diff built for the car.

With the MCS, there was hardly a discernable ride quality difference between the 5F/4R compression settings I usually ran, and 15/15 all around. 15/15 was something like 200lbsof compression force at 1in/sec. Tons of force. I don't think either your TCKs or Chris' RSTWo twin tubes are capable of generating that much force. Not that I've EVER found a reason to run that much (I tested it when I was running 50% of the spring rate I ended up settling on), but you can reasonably do it. It'd be cool if you guys had shock dynos to share, although I don't know if either of you would. I plan on being 100% public with the build, as there isn't a lot of public info about how to make these cars work.

Rebound tended to impact ride quality a lot more, once the shocks left a comfortable "range", the over/underdamped conditions that were created caused a hateful ride.
I was mostly talking about just DDing to an event and leaving, I have my shocks on the softest setting +2 clicks, and usually go up to 10/12 or around that range depending on surface. Once I find the sweet spot I rarely touch compression and it's mostly rebound settings to set the car.

Lincoln I also jacked up rebound and reduced compression A TON. Was close to almost soft.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #17
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep

I suppose this all should probably moved to some other thread now, hah. Maybe I'll do a "build" thread?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 04:51 PM   #18
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
I suppose this all should probably moved to some other thread now, hah. Maybe I'll do a "build" thread?
Definitely
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

See the BRracing build thread - they mounted their rears in the boot/trunk compartment (battery tray). Some minor cutting/drilling (e.g. using a hole-saw) of plastic linings will be required if you want internal fitment.

Appreciate 0