BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #23
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneKid View Post
Thought I'd ask for another update before I spring for a full carbon roof.
Don't do that, if you're gonna buy a lot of carbon put it somewhere it'll count like door skins, fenders or the hood. You don't actually save much weight with a full carbon roof vs stock roof with sunroof deleted. This is not the least because your "carbon" roof will actually be mostly fiberglass (similar strength-weight as aluminum) unless you want to pay an absolutely ridiculous amount of money for a FULL carbon roof with enough layers to be sufficiently stiff. If you're going to do something this irreversible to the car you're 100% better off getting a welder to put a piece of sheet metal where the sunroof was and having it painted.

On another note, you can make your own inexpensive plug extremely easily out of coroplast and foam insulation sheets from the hardware store--glue them together. The hardest part is tracing the form for the plug itself which you'll make with foam and top with coroplast. The bottom will be coroplast as well and will extend over teh stock fastener holes so you can put it in place.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:14 PM   #24
AB M2C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Hockenheim Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Don't do that, if you're gonna buy a lot of carbon put it somewhere it'll count like door skins, fenders or the hood. You don't actually save much weight with a full carbon roof vs stock roof with sunroof deleted. This is not the least because your "carbon" roof will actually be mostly fiberglass (similar strength-weight as aluminum) unless you want to pay an absolutely ridiculous amount of money for a FULL carbon roof with enough layers to be sufficiently stiff. If you're going to do something this irreversible to the car you're 100% better off getting a welder to put a piece of sheet metal where the sunroof was and having it painted.

On another note, you can make your own inexpensive plug extremely easily out of coroplast and foam insulation sheets from the hardware store--glue them together. The hardest part is tracing the form for the plug itself which you'll make with foam and top with coroplast. The bottom will be coroplast as well and will extend over teh stock fastener holes so you can put it in place.
Raze's roof is 3kg as opposed to a 16kg stock roof. Pretty big savings although I'm not sure how much of the stock roof's weight comes from the sunroof. Regardless I don't really care about rigidity as I have a cage.
Sold -- 2005 E46 M3 MT
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:33 PM   #25
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Fair enough. I just saw that you're the guy who wanted to do an awd conversion haha. Do you have pics of the weapon?
Appreciate 0