BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #45
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
UPDATE...

Thanks again guys!
Thanks for posting this update. It makes things easier for people in the future who change out their plugs.

I remember a Tech I used to work with who liked to say... "..Just because it is a new part doesn't make it a good working part!" So true.

I think there is just something weird about the N54/N55 engine needing OEM BMW/Bosch made plugs. There must be something that is different with the aftermarket Bosch plugs bc I have seen it posted before on the e90 forum that use of non BMW plugs can cause issues.

Thanks again Takrdown.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #46
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Thanks for posting this update. It makes things easier for people in the future who change out their plugs.
That's what these forums are all about right

I just want to stress to everyone that these were OEM plugs that didn't work. So...just because they are OEM plugs, don't rule them out if you start having misfires. Swapping them out is just good troubleshooting at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #47
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:

I remember a Tech I used to work with who liked to say... "..Just because it is a new part doesn't make it a good working part!" So true.

I think there is just something weird about the N54/N55 engine needing OEM BMW/Bosch made plugs. There must be something that is different with the aftermarket Bosch plugs bc I have seen it posted before on the e90 forum that use of non BMW plugs can cause issues.

Thanks again Takrdown.
Apparently their are some small internal differences between the plugs, the BMW spec one is more robust. I have seen a cut away somewhere, If i can remember I will post it up.

06-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #48
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Great video

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #49
EDDY_YIYI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135I  [1.00]
very nice post!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #50
Romanian nightmare
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i Alpine Weiss

Amazing post

Just wanted to say thank you for this post. I don't know why, but I was hesitant to change the spark plugs in my '07 335i e90. I'm not sure what finally pushed me over to try it, but I'm pretty sure that the $390 the dealer was going to charge me had something to do with it. It was much easier than I thought and the car runs like a dream now.

Thanks again! Great post!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #51
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanian nightmare View Post
Just wanted to say thank you for this post. I don't know why, but I was hesitant to change the spark plugs in my '07 335i e90. I'm not sure what finally pushed me over to try it, but I'm pretty sure that the $390 the dealer was going to charge me had something to do with it. It was much easier than I thought and the car runs like a dream now.

Thanks again! Great post!
Romanian nightmare - You are quite welcome. Btw what a great user name!!

Dack
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #52
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

what torque wrench is best for tighning spark plugs ?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #53
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

so if we dont buy these plugs from the dealership direct, we getting inferior plugs? hmmm. is BMS selling bad bosch plugs?
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #54
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da _Grk_Tuner View Post
what torque wrench is best for tightening spark plugs ?

Didn't you read my Spark plug DIY? They should be torqued to 23Nm.

135i Spark Plug replacement DIY...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602804
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #55
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romak47 View Post
so if we dont buy these plugs from the dealership direct, we getting inferior plugs? hmmm. is BMS selling bad bosch plugs?

Opinion is split on this. Read my Spark plug DIY... it was discussed somewhat on the last page(3). I have read many posts where people went with aftermarket Bosch plugs and had no problems. But then again I have read four or so posts and seen where people had a misfire issue do to (bad) spark plugs.

I decided to play it safe and just buy my sparkplugs at my local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #56
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Opinion is split on this. Read my Spark plug DIY... it was discussed somewhat on the last page(3). I have read many posts where people went with aftermarket Bosch plugs and had no problems. But then again I have read four or so posts and seen where people had a misfire issue do to (bad) spark plugs.

I decided to play it safe and just buy my sparkplugs at my local dealer.

FWIW, from Mike Miller's Old School Maintenance Guide:

Original BMW Bosch Spark Plugs vs. Aftermarket Bosch Spark Plugs

Like just about everything else on the modern BMWs, Bosch spark plug choice is complicated and confusing. The short answer is if you order the spark plugs from BMW (sometimes there is a choice between Bosch or NGK), then you are good to go and there is no confusion. But they are expensive.

Savvy enthusiasts have found that Bosch has a part number for commercially-available spark plugs that cross-references to the BMW original equipment Bosch spark plugs, often at a fraction of the price. The problem is, the commercially-available (aftermarket) Bosch spark plugs are not always the same as the original BMW Bosch plugs even though they cross-reference and they do work.

Dealership technicians report problems with the commercially-available Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs in BMW engines. I have never seen this personally, but physical inspection does reveal differences in insulator design between the original BMW Bosch spark plugs for the modern cars and the commercially-available Bosch Platinum +4.

We’re talking about the newer multiple-coil BMWs above. Now, when we're talking about older BMWs with a single ignition coil, where the original BMW specified spark plugs are Bosch copper or silver plugs, everything is completely different. On those cars, there is absolutely no difference between the original BMW spark plugs and commercially-available Bosch copper or silver plugs. I realize this requires a certain intimate knowledge of Bosch spark plugs, and I don’t know what to tell you about that except to ask if you don’t know, or just buy them from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #57
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
what torque wrench is best for tightening spark plugs ?

Didn't you read my Spark plug DIY? They should be torqued to 23Nm.

135i Spark Plug replacement DIY...
[intlink]602804;135i Spark Plug replacement DIY...[/intlink]
I know that . but what I mean is what tool torque wrench BRAND should I get I heard that there some that beep when it reads the amount of NM u set it to
MHD Custom Flash (E85) [Jake@MOTIV] / Vargas Stage 2 Turbos / Fuel it LPFP Stage 3+/ Moitiv Port Injection/ MMP Turbo Inlets/ 3.5 Tmap Sensor / ER FMIC /ER Chargepipe HKS-BOV / AA Downpipes / Agency Power Race mid pipes / Berk Technology race exhaust / BMW SSK / BC Forged Whees Toyo R888 tires / KW Club sport coilovers+KW Camber Plates / Spec stg2+Spec SMSFW/ APR Wing GTC200
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #58
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I know that . but what I mean is what tool torque wrench BRAND should I get I heard that there some that beep when it reads the amount of NM u set it to
Some "beep" and some make a "click" sound - it doesn't matter which one you use. Old fashioned ones just a "beam" rods that move(bend) when you apply tq.

I bought one from Gedore(~100 euros). It works from 5 to 50Nm scale. It is best to use a tq wrench that the 23Nm is in the middle of its tq range. That way the wrench is more accurate in the middle of its range/scale. Hazet over here also makes good ones(~160 euros).
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #59
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
Some "beep" and some make a "click" sound - it doesn't matter which one you use. Old fashioned ones just a "beam" rods that move(bend) when you apply tq.

I bought one from Gedore(~100 euros). It works from 5 to 50Nm scale. It is best to use a tq wrench that the 23Nm is in the middle of its tq range. That way the wrench is more accurate in the middle of its range/scale. Hazet over here also makes good ones(~160 euros).

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #60
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

haha, makes me wanna take a commercially available plug from out of my car and cut it open and compare to the ones i took out recently.
had misfire on 2 and 4 cylinder recently but never came back. Was maybe a hundred or so miles after i changed the plugs.. Curious.... hmmmm....
It sucks if i have to drive all the way to my dealers to get thesee. haha. like 1.5 hrs away. sheesh and gas aint cheap right now. :P
gotta make some calls.
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #61
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
haha, makes me wanna take a commercially available plug from out of my car and cut it open and compare to the ones i took out recently.
had misfire on 2 and 4 cylinder recently but never came back. Was maybe a hundred or so miles after i changed the plugs.. Curious.... hmmmm....
It sucks if i have to drive all the way to my dealers to get thesee. haha. like 1.5 hrs away. sheesh and gas aint cheap right now. :P
gotta make some calls.
Why not order them and have the UPS man deliver the spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #62
timo1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

In your picture with the coil pack, there's this number that looks like a date, do you know if that's the manufacturing date of the coil pack? It says 09-12-17, which I think is Dec. 17th 2009.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #63
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo1980 View Post
In your picture with the coil pack, there's this number that looks like a date, do you know if that's the manufacturing date of the coil pack? It says 09-12-17, which I think is Dec. 17th 2009.
I don't know for sure. The way Germans write the date(s) usually is: dd/mm/yy

But my 135i was built that week in Leipzig, so it makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #64
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
gotta make some calls.

How would one cut a spark plug in half?

In regards to the difference between OE and OEM plugs. There have been a few posts saying how the ceramic insulator is different(the inner guts). All I can say is I have read it here a few times. I also have seen three different threads on the e90 forum about misfires with OEM plugs, as soon as they installed OE bmw bought plugs, the misfire went away. Plus there is a 1Addict here on page two of this thread that had issues.

For me its a no brainer to pay a little bit more for bmw OE plugs over an OEM plug.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #65
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedavis34
Thanks for the excellent write-up, I have 4 of 6 done, and I have a question for those of you that have done this. What did you guys do with the little bit of metal flakes/dirt thats down in the channel after you remove the old plug but before you put in the new one?

It would be very difficult to photograph so that's why I'm not posting a picture, but I worry that it might affect the seal of the spark plug washer to the head? My vacuum isn't narrow enough to get down there, but I could rig something up. Did you guys worry about it? I haven't done anything about it, but I'm starting to question if I should have.

I also found that a mouse had been chewing on one of my coil wires, which is ridiculous because this car is a daily driver.

Thanks for your help!
Use a vacuum cleaner, if you notice any sand falling inside
, you can start the engine without any spark plugs. The engine will blow it out .

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #66
GuamX1
First Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i, 08 128 Cab

I tried to replace my plugs since my car has 62K miles. I bought a thin wall socket an a torque wrench to do it. However when I was removing one plug it felt like it was cross threaded coming out. finally got the plug out and threads looked okay. I tried to install the new plug and I could not get it started by hand the side of the socket was rubbing against the side of the hole. I used a ratchet to get it going but I had to stop because it felt it might cross thread and it's aluminum is this normal?

I need help

2013 BMW X1 * 1973 Clubman GT * 2016 Mazda MX5 * 2000 Honda S2000
2004 BMW 325i Touring * 2009 BMW X5 3.0xdrive
Appreciate 0