42. sergeremi 2011 1M
43. Flyn 2011 1M
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #90
simple_simon
Private
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I'm in. Confirmed 111 status and build date for the first week of September.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #91
1Madness
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

I'm in as well. I'm also in status 111 with a build schedule for September.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #92
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
As for the Extended Maintenance - that seems like an awful lot for 2 extra years of maintenance, especially given that that would include 1 - maybe 2 - more oil changes, at BMW's current suggested intervals. Heck, by then, they may decide that 1 oil change per lifetime is enough.

Lol. In all seriousness I think it will include at least 3 oil changes (60k,75k,90k) plus brakes and LSD fluid and maybe a transmission fluid. That doesn't sound soo horrible.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #93
1M Fan
SMSgt
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Lol. In all seriousness I think it will include at least 3 oil changes (60k,75k,90k) plus brakes and LSD fluid and maybe a transmission fluid. That doesn't sound soo horrible.
And a brake fluid flush, filters, wiper blades. When do the plugs get changed?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #94
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

im in as well...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #95
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

I'm in. 1M.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #96
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Sign me up.... 1M .. delivery in 3 weeks or so.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #97
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Done!!

43. Flyn 2011 1M
44. simple_simon 2011 1M
45. 1Madness 2011 1M
46. Mdawood 2011 1M
47. silvs 2011 1M
48. Pamlico 2011 1M

Come on guys its simple, follow the format. ADD your name next to the NEXT chronological number WITH the model AND year of your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #98
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
You mean like this.....

43. Flyn 2011 1M
44. simple_simon 2011 1M
45. 1Madness 2011 1M
46. Mdawood 2011 1M
47. silvs 2011 1M
48. Pamlico 2011 1M
49. mikewills 2011 1M

*FOR THE NEXT GUY.....follow the format. ADD your name next to the NEXT chronological number WITH the model AND year of your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #99
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
You mean like this.....

LOL yes thanks, simple copy paste and I can update the primary list on post 1.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #100
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

Why would one buy an extended warranty (i.e., service contract) on a new car? It duplicates the coverage you already have in effect with the manufacturer's warranty. It only makes sense to buy an extended warranty as you get near to the end mileage/date the manufacturer's warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #101
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
Why would one buy an extended warranty (i.e., service contract) on a new car? It duplicates the coverage you already have in effect with the manufacturer's warranty. It only makes sense to buy an extended warranty as you get near to the end mileage/date the manufacturer's warranty.
It extends the term, it does NOT overlap or duplicate. This is NOT a third party product its a genuine BMW product to extend the months and mileage on the existing coverage.

Did you read my first post??
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #102
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I did read your first post. That is what prompted my question.

In your post, under "the heading EXTENDED VEHICLE PROTECTION", it says, "To be clear this is 5-7 years from the IN SERVICE DATE."

The "in service date" is the date you take title to the vehicle. It is also the date from which the manufacturer's warranty begins to run. Therefore, if you purchase extended vehicle protection that begins to run on the "in service date", you are purchasing duplicative coverage for period the manufacturer's warranty runs.

This seems to me to be a waste of money. It makes more sense to wait until the manufacturer's coverage is nearing expiration to purchase coverage beyond it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #103
Papethova
Banned
Rep

I went back and read that too, I can see how it sounds that way and can be confusing.

My understanding was the extended warranty extends the initial warranty to the terms stated not by the terms stated. As in the 7 year plan doesnt give 7 EXTRA years on top but gives 7 TOTAL years. Its extending the basic coverage by 3 years. It wouldnt matter if you bought it the day you bought your car or bought it the last day your warranty was going to expire. The plan would go in effect for a term of X years from the in service date, not 7 years from the plan's purchase date.

The extended maint program is different, it ADDS 2 years and 50k miles to the existing 4 years 50k miles for a total of 6 years 100k miles.

Perhaps I misunderstood the dealership or I wrote the description incorrectly. I am working on getting clarification and will post here as soon as I receive confirmation. I could reword the initial post for the warranties to look like 1-3 year plans and that would be the amount of time extended upon the factory plan, but BMW products lists them the way I did.

Last edited by Papethova; 08-27-2011 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #104
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
I did read your first post. That is what prompted my question.

In your post, under "the heading EXTENDED VEHICLE PROTECTION", it says, "To be clear this is 5-7 years from the IN SERVICE DATE."

The "in service date" is the date you take title to the vehicle. It is also the date from which the manufacturer's warranty begins to run. Therefore, if you purchase extended vehicle protection that begins to run on the "in service date", you are purchasing duplicative coverage for period the manufacturer's warranty runs.

This seems to me to be a waste of money. It makes more sense to wait until the manufacturer's coverage is nearing expiration to purchase coverage beyond it.
Honda new car warranties use the same terminology...they begin at the vehicle in-service date. This is common for nearly all new car warranties. Used car warranties begin at the end of the new car warranty, but are often third-party and do not cover as much.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #105
Texas F1
1M Owner
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora 410, BMW 1M, Z4

see allocation thread

Last edited by Texas F1; 08-27-2011 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: wrong thread
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #106
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Perhaps I misunderstood the dealership or I wrote the description incorrectly. I am working on getting clarification and will post here as soon as I receive confirmation. I could reword the initial post for the warranties to look like 1-3 year plans and that would be the amount of time extended upon the factory plan, but BMW products lists them the way I did.
Here, in simple terms, is what purchasing a 7 year extended warranty on a new car looks like:

Mfr. warranty ------------ 4 yrs.

Ext. warranty ------------ first 4 yrs. of 7 yrs.
----------- last 3 yrs. of 7 yrs

You are paying for 4 years (or 50,000 miles) of the extended warranty coverage that is totally unnecessary, because the first 4 years (or 50,000 miles) are covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.

According to the BMW web site, you can purchase an extended warranty at any time before the original manufacturer’s warranty expires. That is when to put your money down, not before.

But even then, there are studies out there demonstrating that extended warranties, which are simply a form of insurance, have very lopsided premiums-paid-to-claims-paid ratios. You can guess in whose favor the lopsided ratio falls.

Additionally, there is a subtle difference between the original manufacturer’s warranty and an extended warranty. If a part is covered under the original warranty and it fails, it is replaced, generally subject only to a finding of abuse. However, under the extended warranty, the part must have failed due to an inherent defect, not just normal wear and tear. Given that parts with inherent defects are going to show up early on, whereas failure from wear and tear is going to show up later, one might wonder how much faith and money extended warranties can justify.

I suppose one exception would be expensive electronic components, which are not so much subject to wear and tear as, say water pumps, and which seem to fail for any number of reasons, not the least of which seems to be the pure spite of gremlins or, perhaps, Darth Vader.

The reason dealers give confusing explanations - and often engage in outright falsehood about – the redundant coverage of extended warranties is because extended warranties are immensely profitable. Dealer markup on them typically runs 50 to 100%. I have seen some with a 400% markup.

In fact, dealers often make more profit on back-end products like extended warranties, maintenance packages, credit insurance, etc., than they make on the vehicle itself. Sewing confusion over these products is therefore in their financial interest.

That said, I am not against a company making a profit. I also realize the value of peace of mind. I just think dealers should be honest about what they are selling and we should be knowledgeable about what we are buying.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #107
Papethova
Banned
Rep

I got clarification and you do not get any benefit from buying the contract later. You may benefit from buying now because of inflation and the help of the GB negotiating a lower price.

In regards to the number of years and how it works his is the exact example used....

If 2 people buy a car on the same date 9/1/11 and one of them buys a 6 year plan on the day he picked it up the car. His warranty expires 9/1/17

If the second person buys the warranty on 9/1/15 his warranty expires on 9/1/17…. The same day as customer # 1

Hope that clears that for anyone who was confused
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #108
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Here, in simple terms, is what purchasing a 7 year extended warranty on a new car looks like:

Mfr. warranty ------------ 4 yrs.

Ext. warranty ------------ first 4 yrs. of 7 yrs.
----------- last 3 yrs. of 7 yrs

You are paying for 4 years (or 50,000 miles) of the extended warranty coverage that is totally unnecessary, because the first 4 years (or 50,000 miles) are covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.

According to the BMW web site, you can purchase an extended warranty at any time before the original manufacturer’s warranty expires. That is when to put your money down, not before.

But even then, there are studies out there demonstrating that extended warranties, which are simply a form of insurance, have very lopsided premiums-paid-to-claims-paid ratios. You can guess in whose favor the lopsided ratio falls.

Additionally, there is a subtle difference between the original manufacturer’s warranty and an extended warranty. If a part is covered under the original warranty and it fails, it is replaced, generally subject only to a finding of abuse. However, under the extended warranty, the part must have failed due to an inherent defect, not just normal wear and tear. Given that parts with inherent defects are going to show up early on, whereas failure from wear and tear is going to show up later, one might wonder how much faith and money extended warranties can justify.

I suppose one exception would be expensive electronic components, which are not so much subject to wear and tear as, say water pumps, and which seem to fail for any number of reasons, not the least of which seems to be the pure spite of gremlins or, perhaps, Darth Vader.

The reason dealers give confusing explanations - and often engage in outright falsehood about – the redundant coverage of extended warranties is because extended warranties are immensely profitable. Dealer markup on them typically runs 50 to 100%. I have seen some with a 400% markup.

In fact, dealers often make more profit on back-end products like extended warranties, maintenance packages, credit insurance, etc., than they make on the vehicle itself. Sewing confusion over these products is therefore in their financial interest.

That said, I am not against a company making a profit. I also realize the value of peace of mind. I just think dealers should be honest about what they are selling and we should be knowledgeable about what we are buying.
Thanks I appreciate posting a different viewpoint and some of your points may be valid, but I do not agree with when is the time to put your money down. As I have stated the longer you wait the more opportunity there is for inflation to raise the price, BMW to change (increase) the price, etc.

Also, buying 1 contract 4 years from now versus buying 50 contracts today will have an impact in how much discount you can negotiate. This is a voluntary GB and anyone can participate or pull out.

Im not sure who you are or if youre just here to throw a wrench in the GB. You have a whole 3 posts and all are in this thread discounting its merits with invalid points. If you change your mind you are welcome to come on board and I dont mind having an alternate/opposing view point in the thread but please keep the facts straight when you post.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #109
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I’m a 62 year old lawyer who has practiced consumer protection law since 1973. I have handled countless lemon law, car fraud, and deceptive dealer practices cases, including class actions involving extended warranties. I have studied countless manufacturer’s warranties, warranty policy and procedure manuals and extended warranty plans over the years. I am not unfamiliar with the facts about these things.

I own an extensively modified 1997 M3 with 200,000 miles on it. I just ordered a 1M and hope to take delivery in Spartanburg and drive it back home, passing through the dragon’s tail on the way. The Top Gear video of the 1M pasting the Porsche Cayman R and the Lotus Evora S, along with some intense lobbying by my step-son, Chuck, and his friend, Dave, pushed me over the edge toward purchasing the 1M. So, you see, I am not entirely ruled by reason.

I joined this forum to glean what knowledge I can from those who know more than I do about cars. My first car, a 1957 Studebaker with a flathead six, burned a lot of oil. So, at 17, I took the engine apart and did a ring job on it in the driveway. Although I’ve been a passable shade tree mechanic ever since, I love learning more about the technologically sophisticated cars that are being produced today. But when you get right down to it, I just like to drive fast cars that handle well and to shoot the bull with others who like to do the same.

I also joined to share what knowledge I have that may be useful to others. If I have learned anything in helping consumers with their legal problems over the years, it is that consumers should not spend their hard-earned dollars on illusory goods or services.

If you choose to take that as me trying to throw a wrench into the GB, there is not much I can do about that, except to assure you that is not my intention. I just happened upon a topic that I know a little something about and thought my experience could benefit others.

And you?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #110
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
This is an interesting point. I think I should read the fine print on this and get an explicit understanding of what will be replaced on the extended warranty due to defect vs wear and tear?

I guess some of us may have an expectation that if our water pump or clutch finally goes six years down the road the extended warranty would pick it up... but maybe not so because it's normal wear and tear? So then you're out the extended warranty money AND the cost to repair the worn out item? Hrm...